Eeewwww That Smell!

farmall

I couldn't help but to think about Lynyrd Skynyrd. My latest purchase had been sitting in a garage for about 25 years. The mice had moved in and made a mess. I have gutted the interior, all but the dash, and vacuumed everything up. The carpet and headliner were bad so I threw them away. We cleaned all of the parts and reinstalled them. I vacuumed up many mouse skeltons, acorns, droppings, you name it. I removed the dash pad and sucked out all of the acorns in the vents. There is still a pretty strong odor and my wife refuses to ride in it. Do you have any idea what I can do to get rid of the smell?

The guys that did my 72 last year just finished a 69 shovell that had that problem. The let it air for at least a month and then sealed the interior with POR15. Another trick that I do not know how well it works there is a guy around here who goes to used car lots and has a machine called an ionizer that remove the smoke smell smell and it works great on that. Not sure how well it would work on the mousey smell but worth a try. It has to help some. They are now working on a 68 goat with a similar problem and used a bleach/water solution on the underside of the seats and are going to get some Febreeze and wet the underside down with that.

We had a similar problem with our '71, but we were able to get rid of the problem. You'll need to remove the heater box and all duct work from under the dash. Take the box apart and wash everything with a strong cleaner. It's pretty likely there are more nests and/or skeletons in those places. We also had mouse pee and droppings on top the radio and about anywhere else they found a level spot behind the dash. All those places had to be cleaned. If you've not been wearing gloves and a respirator, you should. That type of work is hazardous.

Dan

I couldn't help but to think about Lynyrd Skynyrd.

One of the best Southern Rock bands ever. When I was a kid, growing up on the West Side of Jacksonville, Florida, Ronnie Van Sant came to my house for Cub Scouts but that was a number of years before he became the lead singer of Lynyrd Skynyrd band.

Rob

Do you know any cleaning contractors that deal with fire or water damage? like servicemaster maybe they will loan you the stuff you need. An ionizer may work, we have a small one we use on offices for mildew type smells it works well, but as with anything you gotta be carefull with it. It will suck all the breathable air out of a small room leaving you very lightheaded and ready to pass out if you dont get out, go ahead ask me how I know smile Good luck hope you get it cleaned up as we gotta have our girls riding with us.

I had the same problem with mine. Tore it apart. Washed it all with white vinegar and water and dried it with an air mover for a few days. I soaked everything with Lysol 2 or 3 times. Let it air out a few days and then reinstalled the interior with new carpet. Then it got a day a week for a month treatment with a ozone machine. It's been good for the last year or so.

Along with the heater/AC box, don't forget the lower heater/AC plenum areas, behind the kickpanels. These also serve as drain areas and can/will become plugs and a collection point for crap.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I hope to get into this a little more tomorrow, especially the heater box/etc. I am planning to spray some epoxy primer on the car today and order the parts needed for the interior. I hope to be driving this baby in a few weeks!

Pull the dash on out if you have to, all that junk finds its way in ever crevice, Also remove inner heater box and all insulation, throw it all away...

Once its all stripped out there is nothing left to smell, wash the car down inside with purple power and water. It'll be gone then. smile

ok guys. I got the heater box empty and most all of the duct work out. I took a toothbrush and soapy water and scrubbed everything under the dash. I think I am heading in the right direction. What concerns me now, is that when I pulled the heater box out, the vacuum lines just kind of fell apart and I am not sure where all of them go. Any advice on how to reconnect these lines? I am going to go get a new heater coil and try to get this back together this afternoon because we leave for vacation in the morning and I doubt I will remember how any of it goes back together if I don't do it today. I might better start a new thread for this.