GEN light turned on

abe72

Hello all,

This past weekend while using the AC my GEN light turned on, when I turned off the AC the light also turned off.

Is this a alternator problem or something else?

Thank you for your help in advance,

Abe

Not the most knowledgeable here but I would 1st check the Alternator to see if it is putting out the voltage required and then also the battery. Those are the 2 places I would focus on (alternator going bad or a weak battery). That draw with air conditioner on may be the tell tale sign that charging system is weak as fore mentioned.

Doug

Abe,

Has anything changed like replaced something in the dash or changed something under the hood.

My first thought was a very loose fan belt, but that's probably not it.

Is this light on at different engine speeds (idle as well as driving) and is it bright?

Many places will test your alternator for free if you bring it in. I strongly believe in repairing your alternator vs just throwing in a "rebuilt" one.

Bruce

I would not rule out a loose fan belt that when compressor engages it drags it down enough to drop the voltage outside acceptable limits.

Rob

Thank you all for your advise. I just had the engine rebuilt, but had used the AC before without issues. The light turns on at high rpms and idle. I had notice the dome light "diming" at idle. I don't have a voltage meter, so I will have it checked out this weekend. I'm pretty sure the alternator is running about 63/65? amps, thinking of going with 80 amps.

would that be sufficient?

If you are running a basically stock set up i.e. no electric rad fan, no 50000W sound system, or other non stock current drawing system, the stock alternator should be fine. So if it is the problem, all you should need to fix is the alternator, either rebuild the existing one or get a new stock spec one. If the alternator is not the problem, getting a new or more powerful alternator will likely not help you.

Good luck

Just a long shot here but, since a recent rebuild, check your alternator belt and for tightness. It is another possibility and easily overlooked. Based on your last comment, gen light comes on at Idle and at high throttle? Are you saying at moderate speed, gen light goes out?

Doug

Hello all,

I took some of your guys advise and tighten the alternator belt a bit. Started the car and turned on everything I could, lights, radio, AC, and the GEN light did not turn on. Also,took it to a local shop had it checked and it was reading okay, charging fine.

Maybe a loose belt was the problem, I'll keep an eye on it.

Thank you all for your ideas and advice.