Conversion to gauges/tach.....

LostnFound

When changing over to tach and gauges from idiot lights, what all is involved?

New cluster of course including the gauges (are the aftermarket ones any good?)

New dash wiring harness for gauges

New temp sending switch for temp gauge

New oil pressure sending switch for oil pressure gauge

Is there anything needed for the tach? Is it the same distributor used?

I appreciate any info anyone can give me on this. I'm planning to change mine in the future.

Thanks,

Larry

Larry,

This is a very doable and satisfying upgrade project. I did it two years ago on my '70 4-speed and made a photo journal of the project that you can access Here .

Be sure to click on each individual photo in sequence and scroll up enough to read the captions at the bottom of the photo because that's were a lot of the information resides.

Everything you need to convert your current idiot light instrument cluster into a factory equivalent gauge cluster is available on eBay from Sonnie24. Unfortunately, the instructions that come with his otherwise excellent kit were sadly lacking. Working with our own resident expert, Darren Bull, we put together a very comprehensive set of instructions, including wiring diagrams. I can send that to you via email as a Word file if you'd like.

BTW, this is the perfect opportunity to convert your dash lights to LEDs so that's also included in the photo journal above. My '70 SS already had the factory gauge dash so I just converted it to LEDs this week (still putting it back together - ugh).

The most difficult part of this project, at least for me, was working under the driver's side of the dash with the seat in place. You are a much younger man so it may not be a challenge for you, but if I were to do that upgrade again I would temporarily remove the driver's seat to get better access to the fuse panel which required some detailed re-wiring.

Let me know if I can help. You will love the results. Good luck.

Here's a Before and After shot of my project.

PC084347.jpg

PC174420.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Would anyone have instructions for the installment of the gauges? I have a 70 monte carlo, with a 1972 wire harness. I purchased the new gauges for a 70-71 monte. If someone has a step-by-step process they can share or even a wire schematics. It's completely different from the 72. Any help would be much appreciated. thanks, Cannon

Yes, Bryan, I have a set of step-by-step illustrated instructions and also a photo journal of the process on Photobucket. If you give me your email address, I can send you the instructions as a Word file. You can access the photo journal here: http://s912.photobucket.com/user/dbengtson4/library/Full%20Gauge%20Cluster%20Upgrade If you are interested, this is also a great opportunity to convert to LED dash lights and repair or replace a non-working clock.

BTW,the gauges all get their power and signals (except the tach) from the flexible circuit panel that hugs the backside of the instrument cluster. You will need to change the position of a couple wires in the fuse block and add a couple wires but I don't see how the '72 harnes would come into play at all. If you buy the complete kit from someone like sonnie24 on eBay, you'll have everything you need. If you just bought some OEM gauges, you will need several more things including a new circuit board for the full gauge dash configuration, as well as, some temperature and pressure senders.

The '70 gauges have a light green tint to all the numerals and markings where the '71 and '72 both had white numerals and markings, but that may not matter in your case. Where did you get your gauges and did you get a complete conversion kit?

• Like 1

Dennis, If I understand the problem correctly he is saying the 2 wires we add to the harness that connects the inside to the outside on the firewall is were the problem stands. He currently has wires in the positions that the instructions tell him to use. I would think you can use any vacant position as long as the inside connects with the outside.

Could be, Glen. I remember adding a couple new wires and changing the position of some other wires in the terminal plug and also in the circuit panel plug, but I don't remember modifying the wiring harness otherwise. What concerned me most is that it sounds like Bryan may have purchased the gauges individually and not a complete conversion kit. I'm personally not brave enough to attempt this conversion without a complete kit and some good instructions.

Thanks Dennis! My email: bryancannon1967@yahoo.com I have purchased a all new kit with new quartz movement clock, tachometer and speedometer and the othere gauges. The car I purchased is a 70 but for some reason the prior owner changed the wire harness to a 72?!? Don't know why? Also yes I did also put in the LED lights.

Also I did purchased from sonnie244@yahoo.com. have left him several emails about this frustrating situation with no response as of yet. We have a car show this weekend and I want to put my Monte in it.

To have a step-by-step instructions would be awesome.

Bryan, glad to hear you have a complete conversion kit, as well as, a new clock and LEDs. I hope the instructions will help you get it finished. I also sent you photos of the first five pages of the 1970 Monte Carlo Wiring Diagram Manual, although it may be bit different if you have a '72 harness. Good luck.

Not to be a pain, but I think the 72 harness is going to be different then the 70 harness. I have never moved a wire in the harness so I'm no help there. When you add the wires needed for the change over don't you have to add those wires to the engine side of the harness?

Not to be a pain, but I think the 72 harness is going to be different then the 70 harness. I have never moved a wire in the harness so I'm no help there. When you add the wires needed for the change over don't you have to add those wires to the engine side of the harness?

That's what I said. Use an open pin and use the same pin on the other side. Continuity is the important factor. One side goes to the regulator and the other side goes to the battery. Pretty simple.

• 6 months later...

Yes, Bryan, I have a set of step-by-step illustrated instructions and also a photo journal of the process on Photobucket. If you give me your email address, I can send you the instructions as a Word file. You can access the photo journal here: http://s912.photobucket.com/user/dbengtson4/library/Full%20Gauge%20Cluster%20Upgrade If you are interested, this is also a great opportunity to convert to LED dash lights and repair or replace a non-working clock.

BTW,the gauges all get their power and signals (except the tach) from the flexible circuit panel that hugs the backside of the instrument cluster. You will need to change the position of a couple wires in the fuse block and add a couple wires but I don't see how the '72 harnes would come into play at all. If you buy the complete kit from someone like sonnie24 on eBay, you'll have everything you need. If you just bought some OEM gauges, you will need several more things including a new circuit board for the full gauge dash configuration, as well as, some temperature and pressure senders.

The '70 gauges have a light green tint to all the numerals and markings where the '71 and '72 both had white numerals and markings, but that may not matter in your case. Where did you get your gauges and did you get a complete conversion kit?

Thanks to you Dennis and Darren for spending the time explaining how to do this project!!!!!

I was looking at Sonnie24's Ebay store and found the gauge cluster kit. I will get ahold of him but do you know if this will work on a 72? I thought I read somewhere that the circuit boards were not interchangeable for some reason.

Also wondering if you purchased the sockets and LED's from him as well?

Thanks again!

Jim

Jim, I did not purchase the sockets and LEDs from Sonnie - didn't know he offered them - if he does, I would certainly consider them.  

I bought the sockets from the Parts Place.   If you try to get the sockets from your local auto parts store, they will try to sell you the 1/2" diameter units - don't bother because they won't work in your Monte instrument cluster.  You have to have 5/8" diameter sockets and that's what the Parts Place sells.  

I ordered the LEDs from eBay.  You have a lot of LED choices on eBay but stay away from any that are not already in the US and ready to ship or you will be waiting a month or more.  I went with a 20 pack (you need 15 and some spares anyway) of white, 5-LED units that were advertised as 168/196 bulb replacements.  You may want to consider colored LEDs or higher powered clusters but I wanted to stay closer to stock color and brightness.  You can see both the sockets and the LEDs I used in my photo journal at this LINK.  Good luck.

• 6 years later...

I guess I’m a little late to this party. I’m in the middle of converting to gauges now and I ordered the kit from sonny but as stated his instructions are not the greatest. Can someone send me a link or email me the detailed instructions that you guys came up with? The links aren’t working. Thanks for your time

Hey Rich, Welcome to Club !! The best resource for First Generation Monte Carlo info with some entertainment too. Everyone enjoys photos. Post them as you go, or of the project your working on. It greatly helps when giving advice or answering questions. Enjoy !!!

Hi, Rich, I just sent you the detailed conversion instructions for a '70 via email.  There are sight variations in the '72 and possibly '71 fuse panels but most of the instructions will work for all years.  I know some members have installed that kit in '72s so maybe they will chime in if that is what you need.

20 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Yes he did mine. And installed in my new cluster. 

Ummm Dennis? Do you know you answered a question from 2014? Lol. 🤔

• Haha 2