putting vinyl top back on after resto (without it)

Aaronz28

previous owner restored car without top  

welded, ground down etc. all the studs.

My car is an early (Oct 69 SS454)  so i want to put the Halo top back on.

without pulling the headliner, because its original and perfect -  i want to locate and install clips in the correct location

does anyone have photos or measurements on how i can accurately do this?

from inside the trunk, I can see the welds on the bottom side of the filler between back glass and deck lid -so i could drill those easily - -

i haven't pulled the interior rear sail panels yet, but i suspect i'll gain access to the back side of the quarter- sail panels enough to find those holes.... but i'm worried about above the door glass, and most importantly, how the halo corners attach etc.

thanks

Aaron 

I don't think by pulling the sail panels you will be able to see where the holes are in that area at least when I had my 72 apart you couldn't but then again I was not looking for them.

Aaron, Did you buy the vinyl top yet? If not buy it from Legendary out of NY. It is perfect to OEM. The other tops sold you need to stretch them to fit. Either way make sure the vinyl top seams down at the trunk line up on the body seams from the Q panel to the trunk line panel. I have a halo 70 MC in my driveway but can only get to the back. I will send you some pictures as soon as the rain stops.

Carl

www.legendaryautointeriors.com               Also their interiors are the best around. They usually have discounts

around the Holidays.

Hey Aaron,

I've never done what you are trying but if I were I would start by using the Halo Moldings as a guide as to where the stud would go.  I'm thinking if you laid out all of the pieces on the roof (after putting some tape down) you could trace both sides of the moldings and you would have a pretty good idea of where they need to go.  Start with the (2) chrome back corners first since they are held on by studs and speed nuts and don't have a lot of flexibility as to where they go.

I have a 70 with halo trim that I could take pictures of if you need some.  Just let me know.  I also have some halo trim if that helps.

Mike

Aaron, I have same issue on my '71, let me know how you handled on your '70 as I have the vinyl trims from Jared.

Rick

well - what i was thinking was actually mentioned above -  

if your car had a vinyl top - you should  be able to see the remains of the rivets on the bottom side of the filler panel between the back glass and deck lid - (you'll have to lay in the trunk and look up) but they are there..    i plan to drill tiny holes from the bottom so that i can screw the trim clips back in.... 

once i have that done, i should be able to mask off a 3-4" wide "guess" area as to where the top trim originaly was...   if the back one is in place - then the rest of the trim should assemble together (on top of the tape so as not to scratch anything) and you should be able to tape it into place to test fitment....

once its taped into place and you (I in my case) am happy with the spacing - then it should just be a matter of tracing the trim onto the masking tape - and then drilling all the holes and screwing the clips into place right down the center of the trace.   

The "Z" shaped corner has a stud that gets held into place with a speed nut from the inside -  - i've not removed my interior sail panels yet, but i'm hoping that once i do, it should just be a matter of exploring the backside of the quarter panel to see where the holes were - if not, then i might just have to measure again, using my trace.

I've never personally installed a top, but i'm guessing that the vinyl material needs to be stretched and glued into place all the way underneath the trim - with it partially being held into place with the clips.

I'f I'm correct, the clips were originally held into place with rivets, and as you slid the clip over the rivet, they locked tightly into place atop the vinyl....    since ill be using screws to hold them down, i don't want to screw and then unscrew and then screw etc.... fatiguing the metal and running the risk of having loose screws/clips....  so if you have to go this route as I do - then i'd be very careful about making the screw holes too big :D

cheers

AuVeCo used to sell screws made especially for this purpose. AuVeCo clips and other related stuff is available around here at NAPA and the local Auto Paint Store Anderson Automotive Color.

I believe the speed nuts that hold the "Z" corner pieces in place are accessed via the trunk.  I would not remove the sail panels because I don't think you will gain anything by doing that.  Plus they are difficult to put back because the old style fasteners break easily.

Mike

Those are spot welded studs. No pop rivets. I would be real careful drilling out those studs from the bottom or the top. They are case harden. I would go left or right of the old stud. Maybe you can drill them out. I would try one to see.

The stud is Auveco #9877 Stainless Steel 100 per box. Put a dab of grease on the stud if its not on the

stud.

Carl

I really don't know how GM installed those studs. I didn't really know what the procedure was. I would think its like the tool that Body Shops use to pull a dent out. That is a welded stud.

Carl

When I redid mine I had to replace the panel before the truck lid and I made studs out of nail heads and turned them on my lathe and welded from back side.A lot of trouble but I didn't have anything else at the time to do.Did the same on sail panel where the pins broke off.But mine was a vinyl top from the factory.

Body shops with a uni-spot welder should be able to do this. I've seen the attachment and rivets to weld on. Also the screw on ones are functional, I used them on my rear window trim studs, load them with caulk first

Just a thought.... I like the off-setting colors of the body color and a vinyl roof gives you but hate the possible result of the rust taking hold underneath without the owner knowing.  My car is an original two-tone painted car so I get the offsetting color look without the vinyl roof gives you without the hidden rust issues.  Many people who stand there looking at my car assume it is a vinyl roof until I mention the two tone paint.

Rob

I also really like the two tone cars. I also seen a canary (66 chevelle style) yellow 72 a few weeks ago up in VA that was a solid color but they had left the trim on, it actually looked good, it was a different look.

Funny......you have a vinyl top car without the vinyl and you want to add it and I have a vinyl top car that I would like to delete....to each their own....

Funny......you have a vinyl top car without the vinyl and you want to add it and I have a vinyl top car that I would like to delete....to each their own....

right - if my car wasn't an original SS454 - i wouldn't worry - but i like my stuff factory correct/original = (at least that which is visible! :D )  It'll be undergoing some LS6 additions this winter :D