How many triple black 71 SS's?

ripleydale

I am certainly aware of your car Capri. And I do remember it's history was a little weird (the buckets with column shift). Gave me hope I might find one. By the gauge dash, I mean the gauges and tach instead of the idiot lights.

Although this is very vague, I've read that many SS454 cars were "triple black". Regardless of color, they were typically (but not always) equipped with many options. A fully "loaded" SS454 would've sold for about $5,000 in '70/'71 - which was quite a bit for a brand-new Chevy back then.

Dave

P.S. - CAPRI - The "gauge dash" was the "U14 Special Instrumentation" package, which was optional on every '70-'72 Chevelle, El Camino and Monte Carlo - regardless of whether the car was an SS or not. This substituted the large fuel gauge for a tachometer, and placed the fuel gauge in one of the small gauge locations, as well as substituting the other idiot lights for gauges.

smile

Thanks for replying everyone. In my experience having looked around for the last couple of years, very few SS's seemed to be loaded, and even fewer were originally triple black. I've found lots of people turn the cars that way, but they didn't come that way. That's why I was curious about the documented ones with a build sheet or POP. I'd guess Leo probably has probably run across more SS's than anyone else.

quite honestly I see more black than any other color confused

That goes along with the statistics I saw on paint colors and was surprised to see that black and then green were the 2 greatest percentages of colors. I thought Andreas put this out but could not find it on the main page??

Carl

Went to a small car show last summer. There sat an unmolested TRUE 71 SS. Light blue color (paint was fading but still looked good) with blue vinyl top. Spoke with the owner (who also had a very nice '55 Packard in the show) and saw the build sheet of this 32K miles car. Car was bench seat with idiot lights and no gauges or tach. The dealer in Bellefontaine, Ohio ordered the car this way. Was a nice surprise to see this true unmolested car. Yes, load level was there with all the lines, and the boxed arms, etc.

Originally Posted By: Bones
quite honestly I see more black than any other color confused

That goes along with the statistics I saw on paint colors and was surprised to see that black and then green were the 2 greatest percentages of colors. I thought Andreas put this out but could not find it on the main page??

Carl

Carl,

The stats are in the Members Forum in a post called Member Statistics. Here is a link to the info page.

Member Statistics

Although I think the stats are on the members cars and not first gens in general.

Jaylene

Leo's is the answer to the question I was asking (I know, I said undocumented too). Nice to know everyone likes black, but how many were original? And in the time I've been looking, I haven't seen any black true SS's, original color or not. People must keep them once they paint them. :o)

So Leo, do you have a documented triple black 71 SS with buckets, console and gauges? I couldn't find any description of your collection of cars on the site.

the tripple black car i have is equipped with , power bench seat ,tilt , tach and gauges , power windows , doorlocks , and air , it is a major project and in rough condition , i have a couple other black 71 ss cars but not factory black , one is a canadian built non air car that was originally white , white top , and blue interior very rare color combo now it is tripple black , maybe someday i will go back to original color scheme but they do look good in black dont they

Leo