Rear window seal

Guest ArmyTanker

Guest ArmyTanker

I know I have a leak somewhere, but can't tell if it's coming from the rear window seal or the trunk seal. I don't want to pour any water back there cause the trunk gets really wet and so does the rear dash. The car will never be out when it rains, but you never know what kind of freak rain storm I might drive into while cruising one day. Any suggestions or ideas on where it could be coming from and how much it will cost to fix?

Guest ArmyTanker

As far as I know the rear window has never been out. I bought the car last summer and I noticed it when it was shipped here. I washed it and the water ran into the trunk(alot of water) and into the rear deck as well(not too much back here).

Guest ArmyTanker

On my last Monte(1972) I noticed the vynil top had issues underneath it, hence forcing me to sell it. But this one I see no visual discrepencies that would cause a leak. This makes want to take the vynil top off and leave it off, I know about the chrome moldings and vynil tops and what it can do to these cars!

It has always been the rear window for me. If you are unsure. get some 2-3 " wide tape and tape all the way around the trunk opening and then pour water on the window in each corner.

Look up inside the trunk in the corners near the hinge. If they look like this pic, you probably won't have problems. It won't look like this if you do!!

Carl

2918129_51_full.jpg

it could just be leaking in where the top trim is fastened down.

remove each nut underneath the roof in the trunk and seal the fasteners with silicone or calck.

also see if the seal around the window is soft or hard .

if it is soft the window probably has never been resealed.

now a days they seal them with urathane adhesive that gets in all the cracks and crevases.

bob

monte's rear window are notorious for the leaking, I will bet money on it. when we popped off the window trim on mine...a little push and it popped right out.

they rust real bad around the glass too eek

pop your trim off and take a look

You know the trunk seal is pretty cheap...and easy to replace...it wouldn't hurt to just replace it as an extra measure that the trunk isn't leaking.

Ours was leaking in both places before we replaced the window and seal.

JM2Cents,

Jaylene

Guest ArmyTanker

I'll start witht he cheapest and work my way up....if it's just the trunk, then great, if not, I'll have to keep looking and keep spending!

I have some good pictures of what I went through fixing my Monte. With the vinyl top on, you could not see a problem. The vinyl top was in great shape - it appeared a previous owner tried to cover up the problem instead of fixing it.

But it appeared that the interior below the rear window had a water problem in the past - that was the only visual evidence of a problem. Once the vinyl was off, and the window was out, I found some extensive rust damage. It's been documented here - take a look.

http://www.katuszonek.com/window.html

• 1 month later...

The rear glass AKA backlite is bonded in just like the windshield with urethane adhesive at a glass shop.

Unfortunately I'm afraid you will find rust holes when you remove the backlite that need to be welded or perhaps even sections of the metal replaced. Reading above many of the people in this club have had than same problem as have I. When you do remove it, sandblast the area well and hundreds of tiny holes will appear. This was a very poor design with water always collecting in the lower area of the glass and GM wasn't the only one that did it this way. Good luck!

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...
I know I have a leak somewhere, but can't tell if it's coming from the rear window seal or the trunk seal. I don't want to pour any water back there cause the trunk gets really wet and so does the rear dash. The car will never be out when it rains, but you never know what kind of freak rain storm I might drive into while cruising one day. Any suggestions or ideas on where it could be coming from and how much it will cost to fix?

As Sonny drives home in the rain on Saturday the 19th...with a used un-warped back dash in his trunk......

Hope things didn't get too wet on your way home.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ArmyTanker

hahahah! Nice Capri! When I looked in my trunk I wanted to grab my swim trunks, that's how much water was in it! lol