Exhaust Manifold Restoration (before/after)

TheBMan

The original exhaust manifolds on my Monte Carlo were looking tattered so I removed, sandblasted and coated them with Eastwood high-temp coating. I've seen others that have used this coating and it appears to be long-lasting and durable. I used the brush-on and then followed it with a coat of the spray.

Image left to right: Original. Sandblasted. High-temp coating applied.

ex-manifolds.jpg

• Like 3

Look Great!! I did mine years ago, not so great any more.

I have always thought of having them ceramic coated and there is a Monte Carlo owner with a shop near me in Shelby Township, Michigan. I'm too lazy.

https://www.qccoatings.com/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stangeba said:

Look Great!! I did mine years ago, not so great any more.

I have always thought of having them ceramic coated and there is a Monte Carlo owner with a shop near me in Shelby Township, Michigan. I'm too lazy.

https://www.qccoatings.com/

Thanks! Ceramic coating is super durable. I don't think it will retain the original look, which is what I was going for. I'm hoping this coating lasts a while. I met a guy last year who had used this coating several years ago on his Corvette and it still looked great. Granted, his car isn't driven often and very low mileage per year - but that's true of mine as well.

• Like 1

They look great.  I did mine a few years ago.  Just a suggestion as long as you have them off the car, you may want to replace the studs where the pipes connect, the threads tend to erode from years of rust allowing the nuts to loosen, ask me how I know this.....

rob

• Like 3

Looks great…. By coincidence,,, I put a new one on mine today (drivers side) ….. I used the ceramic coat on mine about a year ago… It does a great job… 

I ordered a Dorman from Amazon… I was having problems with repetitive leaking I was tired of replacing the manifold gaskets… The old manifold is ok I'm sure,  but it was a bit off on the bolt holes from the heat… The new one bolted up perfectly.. and saved a lot of labor trying to make it fit properly… 

The Dorman provides more clearance from the drivers side motor mounts which is a plus… The negative is the Dorman has the four bungs for emissions,,, but I think it's worth the trade off.  On my car it's mostly hidden by the factory AC.. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...