Master cylinder rebuild issue.

Lou

Upon cleaning and bench bleeding I found the front reservoir is non-operational. Upon disassembly and removal of lock spring I found that the piston assembly will not come out. There's a small bolt in the bottom of the reservoir that I removed but piston assembly still won't come out. It doesn't feel like there's a burr at the lock spring groove.

What am I missing?

Ran my gun cleaning kit through it with scothbrite pad and wd40.

I'm seeing pitting on the bore. I think its beyond honing. Almost looks like a bad casting, like sand pits.

Sort of defeats the purpose of a brake hone then, lol.

That being said, new is the way to go unless you're looking for 100% originality. In that case, a stainless sleeve would probably be my choice.

Original engine is long gone.

Originality is no goal for me with this one.

That said, I bought the rebuild kit on Amazon for $23. Would have loved to go down to the local O'Reilly's to purchase but the same kit from Dorman there was $50.

I'm sure at a later date I'll be purchasing a master and booster assembly but not at this time.

Thanks everybody for helping on this issue.

3 hours ago, Lou said:

I'm sure at a later date I'll be purchasing a master and booster assembly but not at this time.

I have a brand new booster & a new master with about 10 miles on it if you decide that's the way you want to go.

Booster is a 'Right Stuff' brand with the 'Delco Morraine' stamp & the master is from NAPA.

I crossed over to 4 wheel discs shortly after building my 72 & this stuff wasn't needed after that.

4 hours ago, Lou said:

Original engine is long gone.

Originality is no goal for me with this one.

That said, I bought the rebuild kit on Amazon for $23. Would have loved to go down to the local O'Reilly's to purchase but the same kit from Dorman there was $50.

Just out of curiosity. 23 for a rebuild kit or 40 for a new one. If you don’t care about going for original , then why the hassle?  I get the learning experience I’m ok with that. I’ve spent alot more for learning purposes and a lot of times trashed what I was doing. But brakes are kind of important, that’s got to be right. Like I said just curious. 

I don't know. It's what I have and I'm not a quitter. Anybody can buy new and bolt it on.

My wife thinks I'm nuts also because I rebuilt our over the range microwave that's 25+ years old. Works like new and built better than anything out there today.

I enjoy it. Just weird I guess. 

Just now, Lou said:

I don't know. It's what I have and I'm not a quitter. Anybody can buy new and bolt it on.

My wife thinks I'm nuts also because I rebuilt our over the range microwave that's 25+ years old. Works like new and built better than anything out there today.

I enjoy it. Just weird I guess. 

Nope not weird. I get it. Like I said I have done it too. For some reason it always ends up costing me more in the end. Lol. 

Done.

Refurbished it, bled it, tried to pressurize it, let it sit for a day or two in the vise. No leaking yet. Time (and pressure when I bleed the system) will tell......

IMG_20220419_181326280.thumb.jpg.cf3b08afa4defa13e52ffd8d9eb80fef.jpg

• Like 1