Trim installations on front fender.

GideonBowles

I am trying to put my trim back on the car for a local car show but I cant find out how to reinstall it on the right front fender behind the wheel. I tried a bit but I didn't want to mess up and break the clips and such, they also are different then the clips for the door trim and quarter trim. So I am Wondering if anyone knows how to do it and if there is a video or something and I am assuming there is a specific way of putting them on. As shown I was able to get the rest on but the front I giving me a fight.

MY apologies for the pictures, I keep forgetting to take good pictures of the whole car and the stuff I'm working on.

Thank you.

IMG-7857.thumb.JPG.6bea621d99736ba807d30656f66ca5e2.JPG

IMG-7871.thumb.JPG.252f3fd41a037eebb907c2b3e860e29d.JPG

• Like 1

The lower fender moldings bolt in from the back side. a real pain the the a**. I unbolted the lower fender and the inner fender and it was still very tight. Maybe someone has a short cut for you. Love the color of your car.. Good luck 

• Like 1

This is kinda what the cips look like. Not the exact clips but the closest I could find. My lower fenders are shot so I actually had to screw mine on but have since got new fenders but haven't got around to putting them on. You may be able to find some pop on clips to get you by for now.

20220419_114616.jpg

As Paul said it is difficult at best. I did them on my fenders one side I bent a wrench and also modified, by that I mean cut a quarter inch socket to make it work very slow process. The other fender I unbolted the bottom of the fender and the inner wheel well it was a little easier but still difficult. Grab yourself a beer or two and be patient. 

John S

You could also try unbolting the inner fender well, moving or removing it and then installing the trim with plenty of room. Sorry, no easy answer/way to do it. 

On my 72 when we redid irt in 2013 we had a guy with very small hands who was able to gwtr his hand in there to tighten up the nuts after we took the bottom bolt out of the fender aqnd gently pried it away from the car but it was scary as we had just finished painting it but Danny was able to get it done. I have had my wife help me on a couple of things that required smaller hands than these old decreptit hands cannot get into.

21 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

This is kinda what the cips look like. Not the exact clips but the closest I could find. My lower fenders are shot so I actually had to screw mine on but have since got new fenders but haven't got around to putting them on. You may be able to find some pop on clips to get you by for now.

20220419_114616.jpg

Yea, those are the clips I am struggling with. I will try and find some pop on clips then. Thank you!

16 hours ago, Leghome said:

On my 72 when we redid irt in 2013 we had a guy with very small hands who was able to gwtr his hand in there to tighten up the nuts after we took the bottom bolt out of the fender aqnd gently pried it away from the car but it was scary as we had just finished painting it but Danny was able to get it done. I have had my wife help me on a couple of things that required smaller hands than these old decreptit hands cannot get into.

Luckily small hands are an availability, I'm finding out that its not an easy job now, shucks. I took the front fenders off before so It wont be that much of a problem to do again or partially do. Thanks for the input.

19 hours ago, John S said:

As Paul said it is difficult at best. I did them on my fenders one side I bent a wrench and also modified, by that I mean cut a quarter inch socket to make it work very slow process. The other fender I unbolted the bottom of the fender and the inner wheel well it was a little easier but still difficult. Grab yourself a beer or two and be patient. 

John S

That will help, I had no idea how to proceed. The If it takes three years to do it I'll consider the beer. ha-ha. Luckily I already had the fenders off so I know how to do that.