Header and oil pan advice - 70 MC 454

Nick_R_23

Hey guys, 1970 Monte Carlo that’s getting a 454, stock heads.

I need a new oil pan to replace the RV pan, and I would like to step up to a larger capacity pan as well. Street driven only, no racing. I’ve found quite a few on Summit, but with spotty reviews. I’d like to steer away from the $4-500 pans if possible. 

I’m also look at headers, preferably 1-3/4”. I’ve heard that most headers are built for a Chevelle but advertised for a Monte, but that fitment issues occur. I’ve seen American Racing Headers mentioned here, but $1500 is beyond ridiculous. Hookers seem to have issues, but I’ve seen Hedmann mentioned to be decent once or twice. Their website doesn’t show a Monte specific fit though. 

Basically, I’m looking for relatively inexpensive parts for a street cruiser with minimal fit issues. Does anyone have real word experience they can share on these parts? Thanks in advance!

If you’re not doing anything to the engine, what’s wrong with a stock oil pan?  If my memory is correct the stock oil pans were used for a lot of years with no issues. Readily available and relatively inexpensive. Headers I can’t help you. 

• Like 3

One "trick" is NOT to use a high volume pump. It will pump all the oil out of the pan and spin a bearing. Ask me how many times I know. Lol. A high pressure pump or even a stock pump will work best. Oh and remember to tack weld the oil pump pick up to the pump. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DragCat said:

There are quite a few detailed threads on headers in the forums, takes some time to go through them but good information 

And most of them end up saying "get the American Racing Headers", 😁. FWIW, I have them & they fit great, tuck up real nice and high. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jft69z said:

And most of them end up saying "get the American Racing Headers", 😁. FWIW, I have them & they fit great, tuck up real nice and high. 

True, when I first started looking I did get sticker shock on the ARH. But after reading through all the threads I took the plunge. The only thing I needed to modify was the a/c compressor bracket. 

I am running a stock Chevy Corvette pan on my 454.  No issues. They are  out of production  / discontinued now but if you can find a good one  they are a alternative that provides an extra quart of oil and accommodates the stock GM windage tray..

• Like 1

Wow, thanks for the replies and input here so far guys. 

My want for an upgraded pan is because the stock pans are known for oil control issues. Having one on the drag strip would really be a best case scenario, as you’re just throwing all the oil to the sump for the most part. But even spirited street driving can empty a stock pan in a hurry (oil sloshing forward, and aerating oil from windage due to crank contact) with the lack of baffling on braking and turn ins, and this is how I plan to use the car.

Also, IMO, the high volume/high pressure pumps sucking pans dry is a myth, oil pressure loss is due to inability to direct and maintain oil around the pickup source. A Melling HV pump moves an average of ~6 GPM at peak RPM not including the bypass, which means it would take 10 seconds for the pump working at max capacity to completely drain a full 4 quart pan, assuming this was possible with no circulated oil returning to the pan. If it takes 10 seconds for oil to drain back through the block, that means you’re holding a full gallon of oil above the crank, and there’s some serious problems! High volume pumps are simply a high pressure pump with larger gerotors (and thicker body) that builds the same max pressure but can move a larger volume of oil earlier in the RPM range. Extra oil capacity and better oil control systems are simply means to prevent the pickup from being allowed to introduce air into the oil system. 

As far as the headers go, sadly I just can’t justify $1500+shipping for headers on a car that only cost $1500 to begin with. Stainless is definitely not a necessity. If they made an uncoated mild steel version at a more reasonable price, I would consider that for sure. 

I finally got some time to sit and read a few threads and reviews on several different products, and here’s what I’m considering for both parts and why: 

Oil pan: Milodon 30951 - Under $400, true 6 quart pan capacity (plus filter), updated baffle, utilizes OE dipsticks, has cutout for easy oil filter removal with headers, HV pump compatible, and has a windage tray available. 

Headers: Hedman 68190 - Just over $300, 1-3/4” tubes, 3” collectors with ball socket fittings, 2-1/2” reducers, hardware, and gaskets. #7 tube moved inboard and forward which gives the appearance of good brake distribution block clearance. Good reviews on Chevelle clearance, hard to pin much down on Monte specific clearance, may have to contact Hedman to ask about any potential Monte issues. 

Is there anyone with hood or bad experience on either of these two parts in their Monte? 

The only issue I've ever encountered with headers is the clearance for spark plugs...... Had to pull my headers off to get the "stock" style plugs out. Plus there was some contact between the pipes and wires. 

I recommend the "short" plugs when going with headers.... It still might require loosening the pipes to change them next time, but the contact issue is solved. :)