New '70 Monte Owner

NavyCPO

23 hours ago, Glen said:

She looks great, Wilbur. Looks to be an early build car as she’s got the halo vinyl top and chrome molding strips under the headlights. What’s the trim tag say?

And if you absolutely feel the need to molest her, may I suggest the removal of the pin striping on the fenders and quarters 🤢🤮 (unless of course it’s some RPO I’m unaware of - in that case, leave it!). 

And since she’s Van Nuys built, pop that rest seat out and look for that Build Sheet.

Keep us posted! 

I'm afraid if I take the pinstriping off it will mess up the paint.  The paint is 53 years old and still original paint.  I WILL pull the back seat and look for the build sheet though.  Maybe I'll get lucky and it will still be there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NavyCPO said:

the clutch will hardly budge.  I can get it to move about an inch or so.  I shot some WD 40 into it last night in hopes it might free it up, but it's still extremely tight.  I'm at a loss as to whether just try a new clutch and hope the compressor is not froze up or if the clutch is hard to turn means the compressor is bad too.  The disc seems to have some slack in it so I don't think the clutch is pulled in, but I'm not sure.  

Big gamble there if it's that tight & you go thru all that work to replace the clutch, and it turns out bad anyways. If you jump 12 volts directly to the clutch wire, you'll know if it pulls in, there will be no mistaking it. Also, like mentioned before, take an ohmmeter reading of that clutch wire and the case of the compressor if you have a meter.

If you do by chance get it working and it starts spinning the compressor, but it's so tight inside that it grenades & sends metal throughout your system, that'll be a much bigger problem. I've repaired systems where the compressor blew up, it's a real big mess, and real expensive too.

• Like 3

With the belt off, if you supply 12 volts to the compressor clutch dies it engage with the compressor and allow you to turn the compressor with the clutch engaged?

rob

So I never got the clutch to engage properly and went ahead and ordered a new compressor kit (includes receiver/dryer & expansion valve (Yuk have to get into the A/C Box))  When I removed the old compressor after I relieved the pressure from the system by removing the rear manifold from the compressor. (probably should have removed the valve core from the low pressure service port) but I had the compressor ready to pull and suddenly the front of the compressor turned fairly easily and I could hear the pistons in the compressor pumpin and hissing as they should.  It seems to me that the front of the clutch is attached to the compressor shaft even though the clutch wasn't engaged to the pulley????  Is there a gap at the end of the compressor shaft that the front of the compressor clutch actually moves the compressor shaft aft when it engages the clutch to the pulley?  I always thought that the front part of the clutch should turn over fairly easily with the clutch disengaged but it's like the front part of the compressor clutch was frozen to the compressor shaft, but the clutch would never engage to the pulley.  Not sure how the compressor bearing fits into all of it.  I'm debating on whether I need to return this old compressor as a core and get my $50 back or keep it as I think the compressor may actually be good.  It was a replacement 4 seasons compressor already so this car has had problems with AC previously.  Your thoughts?????

7 hours ago, NavyCPO said:

Is there a gap at the end of the compressor shaft that the front of the compressor clutch actually moves the compressor shaft aft when it engages the clutch to the pulley?  

There is an air gap (.010" to .015" I think), that disappears when the clutch pulls in to spin the compressor.

It's your call to turn in the core or not I guess. I'd probably make sure the new compressor works first, before sending back the core, That might simplify things if the new one doesn't work properly. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 9:54 AM, Dtret said:

Go to a local scrap yard and pay 5 bucks for any junk compressor and throw it in the box. If they ask say that’s what was on the car. 

I’m gonna have to pick your brain for other money saving tips, clues and scams. You still got your communion money?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2