2024 Eastern Meet Car Class Registrations

10 hours ago, cbolt said:

You didn't address what needed to be changed. Is the goal to hand out more awards to members? Make the judging easier? (more time intensive) Not following the rationale behind adding a class, especially as the judging part is my least favorite (and most stressful) activity of the meets. 

Jim, No, it is not just go be able to hand out more awards to members.  Our class breakdown is closely compatible to the Carlisle Events guidelines.  The main reason is due to the huge numbers of cars in the Modified Class.  It is very hard for a member who only has a minimum number of alterations but ends up in the Modified Class.  When you put that car up against a car that is really heavily modified with chrome everywhere, decked out customized trunk, custom interiors etc. 

We are trying to test out this to make it a little more fair to members to compete in the modified class. 

I love to see our members out there judging each others cars. By doing our member participant judging it gets them talking to each other and get to know them better.  It gives our members a chance to look at each and every car.  Nobody is REQUIRED to do our member judging.  If someone doesn't want to do it they are not required to do so.  

rob

• Like 5

Rob, even though it was out first event with the club, which we greatly enjoyed, we feel the changes to the modified/extremely modified is a good idea. 

We also feel, after looking at all the Monte Carlos at the mini meet possibly also adding an "original" class. 

How can a mostly original car compete against a totally restored stock car?

Just a thought....🤔

• Like 2

Ok so I had some fun going through my Monte 😀 I took what was posted for the club and some of what was on the Fiero list ( ie upgraded motor/trans mounts to poly and rear axel studs 1/2)I didnt count the trunk ( non original jack) and took a hit on the load leveler delete. I have the unit but its non operational and sitting in a box on a shelf. I didn't include the radiator overflow (figured that was included in the new/upgraded rad).Also didn't include the TH400 upgrade for racing with the drag radials making my speedo 15 mph off, but I did add the rear gears. 🤣

Final tally was 18 modifications/deletes. 

So wheather the club stays with the old classifications or goes with the new, I'm still in the last class 🤣 I have no preference either way, I'm just happy to be a member of a great club with some great members 🤘

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Rob, even though it was out first event with the club, which we greatly enjoyed, we feel the changes to the modified/extremely modified is a good idea. 

We also feel, after looking at all the Monte Carlos at the mini meet possibly also adding an "original" class. 

Just a thought....🤔

From what ive been reading, the class's are determined by car count ? Maybe its a Carlisle judging criteria also. The latest eastern meet had awards for stock and non restored. 

I understand every show is different (never saw a checklist like Glen posted from his show prior to Carlisle)

Again, doesn't matter to me, I'll go with whatever the officers decide 

• Like 1

Same here. We don't care about any trophy just the great people, great cars and great times! 

But for those that do care, I thought I would mention it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

Just a thought....🤔

Tom,

We also give awards for Unrestored.  Similar to the Modified/Super Modified these unrestored Monte's would be parked along with the Stock Class.

rob

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DragCat said:

Ok so I had some fun going through my Monte 😀 I took what was posted for the club and some of what was on the Fiero list ( ie upgraded motor/trans mounts to poly and rear axel studs 1/2)I didnt count the trunk ( non original jack) and took a hit on the load leveler delete. I have the unit but its non operational and sitting in a box on a shelf. I didn't include the radiator overflow (figured that was included in the new/upgraded rad).Also didn't include the TH400 upgrade for racing with the drag radials making my speedo 15 mph off, but I did add the rear gears. 🤣

Final tally was 18 modifications/deletes. 

So wheather the club stays with the old classifications or goes with the new, I'm still in the last class 🤣 I have no preference either way, I'm just happy to be a member of a great club with some great members 🤘

Mark, As stated earlier, we are not going to crawl under the car regarding the transmission.  If you upgraded to a TH400, it was available to be ordered from the factory.  Something else we do not ding people for are radial tires, that is a safety item.  Please give me a list of your18 modifications, you can email them to me at rob29ford@aol.com and I will see what you would have to count as a modification/alteration.  I will do this for any member who asks.

rob

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, DragCat said:

From what ive been reading, the class's are determined by car count ? Maybe its a Carlisle judging criteria also. The latest eastern meet had awards for stock and non restored. 

I understand every show is different (never saw a checklist like Glen posted from his show prior to Carlisle)

Again, doesn't matter to me, I'll go with whatever the officers decide 

Yes, we do an award for Non-restored for each meet:

rob

• Like 2

Just a note.  For meets that do not draw a large number we usually only do a plaque for the winner but for meets with 40 or more we do a first, second and third place.

rob

• Like 3

My 2 cents!!!! It doesn't affect me whatsoever! So, what the club officers want to do is fine with me. I don't think they are doing it just to hand out more trophies, (as i am sure its more work for them) but i do believe they are trying to even out the playing field a little.  I am fine with that. To be honest it will only happen if we have 40 cars or more anyway.

That being said even if they put an original class in, that would directly affect me, but i would welcome it as i believe they should have their own class, because how fair is it to judge a car that had no/none upgrades, to a car that has been completely restored?

I also am not there for a trophy but understand that some members are. I am there to see the friends i made over the years and make new ones. I know it sounds repetitive, but it is true.

I wasn't originally going to say this, but just throwing it out there... Suggesting that if you win a trophy at a show, to basically step down for the next (same) show, so other people can have a chance to win. Again, i know i am a little prejudiced because i am not there for a trophy, but i am putting it out there.  

Keep the discussion going by letting me know how you feel about this? This is a Great club, with Great people, let's make it better...

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Mark, As stated earlier, we are not going to crawl under the car regarding the transmission.  If you upgraded to a TH400, it was available to be ordered from the factory.  Something else we do not ding people for are radial tires, that is a safety item.  Please give me a list of your18 modifications, you can email them to me at rob29ford@aol.com and I will see what you would have to count as a modification/alteration.  I will do this for any member who asks.

rob

Rob, I did this for my own amusement curiosity and walk down memory lane of what ive done to the Monte. I know nobody is going to crawl under the car and see my poly motor/trans mounts and such. And of course I went overboard taking some liberties from the Fiero class descriptions. I'm quite happy to be in the furthest class away from the people that take the time and effort to restore they're Monte to its original glory. 

That being said, I think there has been some valuable information and discussion regarding the classifications in this thread. One of the great things about this forum and this club is the amount of information that is freely offered. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

When you put that car up against a car that is really heavily modified with chrome everywhere, decked out customized trunk, custom interiors etc. 

Not all heavily modified cars look better than those with mods and are closer to stock in appearance. I have seen some butt ugly mods over the years and I know I am not alone thinking that.

16 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

I love to see our members out there judging each others cars. 

Its isn't about not walking around, looking at cars, talking to folks and selecting the best ones. Its about having to make difficult decisions because, lets face it, we have many, many, many outstanding cars in this club. After a night of bench racing my head hurts already. Compared to the bench racing, the events and destinations, the interactions with club members, the awards dinners and dinners in general with the club, the meeting new people and spending time with old friends we have made, the judging is the most difficult part.

• Like 4

I know for one my car is in the Modified class, and is totally outclassed by some others In The class. I am not there for awards and recognition, but I do think some cars fit better into the street class than modified, even though the number of upgrades is above the street class. 
   I’m fine no matter what, just an observation 

• Like 4