What brake fluid are you using in your Monte?

Brake Fluid Poll, 8 July 2023  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What brake fluid are you using in your Monte? There are multiple different types of brake fluid that can be used for your vehicle. However, these are grouped into two headings: Glycol based - this includes brake fluids such as DOT3, DOT4 and Super DOT4. Silicone based - an example of a silicone-based brake fluid is DOT5. So....... DOT3 DOT4 Super DOT4 DOT5 I think I have had DOT 5 in my 71 Monte for about 14 years now.

• DOT 3
    • DOT 4
    • Super DOT 4
    • DOT 5

Take the poll above!

What brake fluid are you using in your Monte?

I’m not an expert but I do know that original fluid is dot 3. If you change to a different fluid you need to completely clean the whole system of fluid. If I remember correctly the regular fluid doesn’t play nice with the silicone 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Dtret said:

If you change to a different fluid you need to completely clean the whole system of fluid. If I remember correctly the regular fluid doesn’t play nice with the silicone 

You can mix DOT 3 & DOT 4, same base formula (to eliminate confusion, if someone wasn't quite sure), but like you said, they do not mix with the silicone formula.

I use DOT 4 in the cars, little higher boiling point.

• Like 3

I knew that. Lol. But I guess I should have posted a better comment. The thought is correct in my head but getting that to my fingers is a whole other ordeal. My head and fingers don’t always play nice together either. Lol. Solid correction Joe, it needed to be said. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Dot 5, stainless lines, no mess, dig the purple color,don't need boil points ( never a time to use it?) Doesn't seem to draw moisture either. I'm thinking about stainless braided flex lines since I inspected my rear flex line and found it to be weather checked .had it on since '05 when frame was finished.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I knew that. Lol. But I guess I should have posted a better comment. The thought is correct in my head but getting that to my fingers is a whole other ordeal. My head and fingers don’t always play nice together either. Lol. Solid correction Joe, it needed to be said. 

I absolutely knew that you know the difference, just tried to make it a little clearer for people that don't do this stuff all day long, like some of us.

• Like 2
  • Thank You! 2

Ironic that we’re discussing brake fluid as I discovered that I can’t bleed the rear brakes on the 72. I’ve not really spent a lot of time on it, just a little here and there. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1