Trailer size recommendations

After my Syracuse Nationals Trip and now my plans to come to Carlisle in 2024, I think I need a trailer.  Of course, I did build my car to drive it, but having a trailer would be nice to bring car to the track and for longer trips.  I'd like to get a V-nose but want to hear what other have and what they like / dislike.  How long do I need?  New or used?  Thanks all.

• Like 1

Minimum you'll want is a 20 footer, V-nose is definitely preferable.

I put a winch up in the V, just in case we ever had to pull a car up. If it was a flat front trailer,  you'd be fighting for space and it would be poking you in the back when you're strapping the front down.

• Like 1

Open or enclosed trailer? V nose is usually enclosed. 

Open trailer easier to tow with and better visibility.

Enclosed trailer obviously  harder to see with, definitely need towing mirrors.

Pic with enclosed 24ft trailer is the day of purchase. Didn't have towing mirrors at that time. 

IMG_20191116_114213.jpg

IMG_20200406_170557.jpg

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Open or enclosed trailer? V nose is usually enclosed. 

Open trailer easier to tow with and better visibility.

Enclosed trailer obviously  harder to see with, definitely need towing mirrors.

Pic with enclosed 24ft trailer is the day of purchase. Didn't have towing mirrors at that time. 

IMG_20191116_114213.jpg

IMG_20200406_170557.jpg

good catch.  I forgot to include 'enclosed'.  Thanks.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sids Monte said:

good catch.  I forgot to include 'enclosed'.  Thanks.

All good. Just want you to get the advice on what you are looking into. 

• Like 2

It depends on what your needs and wants are. Like it was said earlier, open vs enclosed, steel vs aluminum? Open trailer, 18 foot deck minimum. Enclosed, 20 foot floor minimum, without cabinets. Our Monte’s are 17’2” long. What are you using to tow it with? Is it the vehicle capable, tongue weight and vehicle manufacturers load capacity? Gas vs diesel? 1500 vs 2500 vs 3500?? I have been looking at trailers recently too. Most used trailers are selling for top dollar, at or almost the price they paid for it when it was new, and somewhere between 10 to 20 or more years old. These prices are crazy. New, there are stock trailers with basic or various package options, or you can have it built with the options you need or want. If your going with an enclosed trailer I would make sure it has the largest escape door available. It’s a great option to have and use, and a very desirable feature if you sell it down the road. I would also purchase a trailer that is built to specifications under the NTMA, National Trailer Manufacturers Association. Not all trailer Manufacturers build trailers to these manufacturing standards. There will be a sticker next to the trailer VIN (from the NTMA) if was built to their standards. Please research the trailer manufacturer and location where its being manufactured too. Please look at some of the online trailer forums regarding this. A lot to think about regarding the choice of the proper trailer for yourself. 

• Like 5

After both the Carlisle, and the Syracuse shows i think most of us are looking into an enclosed trailer. Including me!!  That rain was murder on the way home from Syracuse.   I haven't went full gear yet, but am keeping my eyes and ears open. I also have a friend of mine that bought a trailer years ago from the manufacturer and saved a ton of cash. Downside is he had to go to NC or LA to pick it up. Happy hunting everyone!!!

• Like 4

Get the best railer you can afford....not a time to be cheap on that 🤣 I have an 18' deck, total length is 24.5. As mentioned, tow vehicle capacity and MIRRORS! I used to tow with my Yukon, sketchy to be nice(mirror wise). But I was only towing to the local track and no interstate driving so was a wash. Also how are you going to store the trailer, think about weather conditions when not in use. Trailers like everything is pricey these days, you can find some deals used, but also a lot of junk 🙃 Mine is a tilt bed, I like it but it was pandemic era so there werent alot of choices 🙃

Trailer.jpeg

• Like 5

Just to clarify, for me, the factory mirrors were fine when I was towing the open trailer. 

Towing style mirrors definitely required with the enclosed trailer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, willie said:

After both the Carlisle, and the Syracuse shows i think most of us are looking into an enclosed trailer. Including me!! 

Probably because every time I talked to you before the shows, I said "Hey, if it rains, I'll just keep my car in the trailer, no big deal". After hearing that multiple times, it's planted in your head now.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

31 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Just to clarify, for me, the factory mirrors were fine when I was towing the open trailer. 

Towing style mirrors definitely required with the enclosed trailer. 

I hated the stock mirrors on my open trailer, but only when backing up 🤣 But since Seth is going enclosed that's a moot point 🙃 I'll just sit back and be a sponge now with everyones enclosed trailer opinions. Funny I don't remember Joe offering his trailer as a hideout during the rain at Carlisle 🤣

Mirrors.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Funny I don't remember Joe offering his trailer as a hideout during the rain at Carlisle 🤣

Get an umbrella 🌂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

Probably because every time I talked to you before the shows, I said "Hey, if it rains, I'll just keep my car in the trailer, no big deal". After hearing that multiple times, it's planted in your head now.  🤣

Joe you know it only takes 25 times, then its embedded in my head. Might be going to Indiana in the near future.   lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, willie said:

Joe you know it only takes 25 times, then its embedded in my head. Might be going to Indiana in the near future.   lol

Let me know and I’ll go check it out for you. And meet you somewhere if necessary. 

• Like 2

Just now, Dtret said:

Let me know and I’ll go check it out for you. And meet you somewhere if necessary. 

Tkx Dennis but right now only occasionally looking. But you were on the radar for when it happens.   TKX

4 minutes ago, willie said:

Tkx Dennis but right now only occasionally looking. But you were on the radar for when it happens.   TKX

No problem. Just holler. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jft69z said:

It was planted in my head as well!   I sold my open trailer last week and have been researching and looking at enclosed trailers.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, FrankOC said:

It was planted in my head as well!   I sold my open trailer last week and have been researching and looking at enclosed trailers.  

I almost included your name too, 😄

• Like 4

10 hours ago, DragCat said:

Get the best railer you can afford....not a time to be cheap on that 🤣 I have an 18' deck, total length is 24.5. As mentioned, tow vehicle capacity and MIRRORS! I used to tow with my Yukon, sketchy to be nice(mirror wise). But I was only towing to the local track and no interstate driving so was a wash. Also how are you going to store the trailer, think about weather conditions when not in use. Trailers like everything is pricey these days, you can find some deals used, but also a lot of junk 🙃 Mine is a tilt bed, I like it but it was pandemic era so there werent alot of choices 🙃

Trailer.jpeg

Lot's to think about.  Nice.  I have an Aluma utility trailer.  good stuff.

• Like 3