I'm a New Guy Here

Jöker
Message added by jft69z,

I created a new topic thread for you Andrew. 🙂  Welcome!

Today was a busy day. Started off by replacing the rear springs, she had a lean to the passenger side so I’m hoping this will correct that. Shocks were also toast so those had to goIMG_8277.thumb.jpeg.ed1ff4033bf194ce95db41108712bfee.jpegIMG_8265.thumb.jpeg.61b359a4469c7020fe63351700b30989.jpegIMG_8278.thumb.jpeg.8ef2013cd5efd9e2ae506d716e2a92db.jpeg

• Like 3

While I was back there I pulled the cover off the rear diff and replaced the oil. Don’t forget to change your diff oil once in a while or it will look like this! Cover was full of slime so that had to be cleaned too. Not showroom ready but much betterIMG_8267.thumb.jpeg.7d4f8e706fa14ec9f93d8bade8ee6e84.jpegIMG_8266.thumb.jpeg.d3f4d1349bf689d27e60f4029511003a.jpegIMG_8268.thumb.jpeg.c0f1b5215a7ab03b37ab910973c2cd73.jpeg

• Like 2

Rear brakes were good so I adjusted them. Someone ran the old ones way too long and grooved the drums so I’ll replace those. Half assed work was a theme today. New shoes but re-use the old damaged drums? 🙄

Moving forward I had noticed the trans pan leaking so I dropped it and changed the filter. Here is a tip for everyone, if your trans pan bolts are all finger tight it’s going to leak…. Whoever had this car should not be touching cars. Anyway the pan was just as bad as the rear diff cover, but the fluid was nice and clean…. So someone dropped the pan but didn’t bother to clean it? No idea. Anyway it’s clean now and back in 👍IMG_8275.thumb.jpeg.894d3ac1580b8aad7fbcbf8871e0dc25.jpegIMG_8276.thumb.jpeg.f6783b2223d2d5a2fc852df3ab1d6bb7.jpegIMG_8279.thumb.jpeg.528a3f2f54e07006ac33e7e801f35fa8.jpeg

• Like 1

Last thing I got to before I started to lose daylight and energy to keep working was replacing the drivers front brakes. Again the rotor was grooved so someone did a pad slap on a damaged rotor. Not the ideal way to make this repair. I replaced the pads and rotor and cleaned and repacked the bearings. Tomorrow will be the passenger side brakes, both front shocks, and an oil change. Then it’s Flowmaster time 😁IMG_8280.thumb.jpeg.6e94ea12ddf4d6718b4062f9355bcdcf.jpeg

• Like 3

On 9/2/2023 at 9:44 AM, rsorg said:

welcome, like glen said there are shows all over this area,roger

My grandmothers maiden name was Sorge and she had a brother named Roger…. Weird

• Like 1

Nice work Andrew.  I have a question, when you say the front rotor was grooved was it just one groove near the center or was it multiple groves.  If it was only the one near the center of the rotor surface that would mean it was possibly the factory rotor.  From the factory they did have the single groove near the center of the surface.

rob

• Like 2
  • Thank You! 2

1 hour ago, Jöker said:

Moving forward I had noticed the trans pan leaking so I dropped it and changed the filter. Here is a tip for everyone, if your trans pan bolts are all finger tight it’s going to leak…. Whoever had this car should not be touching cars. Anyway the pan was just as bad as the rear diff cover, but the fluid was nice and clean…. So someone dropped the pan but didn’t bother to clean it? No idea. Anyway it’s clean now and back in 👍IMG_8275.thumb.jpeg.894d3ac1580b8aad7fbcbf8871e0dc25.jpegIMG_8276.thumb.jpeg.f6783b2223d2d5a2fc852df3ab1d6bb7.jpegIMG_8279.thumb.jpeg.528a3f2f54e07006ac33e7e801f35fa8.jpeg

Sorry to inform you of this but, that transmission doesn't have a long life left. And I'm sorry, there is no way the fluid was cherry red. Maybe slightly reddish at best.  Way too much material in the bottom of the pan and trans fluid acts like a detergent. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Nice work Andrew.  I have a question, when you say the front rotor was grooved was it just one groove near the center or was it multiple groves.  If it was only the one near the center of the rotor surface that would mean it was possibly the factory rotor.  From the factory they did have the single groove near the center of the surface.

rob

It had multiple grooves in it, and a really deep one near the outside edge

57 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Sorry to inform you of this but, that transmission doesn't have a long life left. And I'm sorry, there is no way the fluid was cherry red. Maybe slightly reddish at best.  Way too much material in the bottom of the pan and trans fluid acts like a detergent. 

Oh ok thanks for correcting me. I must not know what I’m talking about.

• Haha 1

Andrew please don’t take offense to Tom’s comment. I get what he’s saying. The picture of the dirty trans pan tells the story. That’s a lot of fiber material in there. Is it possible that the previous owner may have started to have slippage and just did a quick fluid change to see if that would fix the issue?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

Andrew please don’t take offense to Tom’s comment. I get what he’s saying. The picture of the dirty trans pan tells the story. That’s a lot of fiber material in there. Is it possible that the previous owner may have started to have slippage and just did a quick fluid change to see if that would fix the issue?

Andrew, Tom is one of our many, more knowledgeable members and always willing to help others.  If he sees something amiss he will warn the member of what he sees.  By informing a member as he does, it can save that member a lot of time and money in the end.

rob

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dtret said:

.... and just did a quick fluid change to see if that would fix the issue?

And that almost never results in a good outcome, especially if there are a lot of miles on a transmission.

If a vehicle came in with a lot of miles (say over 100K) without ever having transmission service/fluid change, I wouldn't usually touch it. Especially if it exhibited signs of trouble. That new fluid with all those fresh detergents tend to be the kiss of death shortly after. 

I've personally seen it, plus it's backed up by my a cousin-in law with many, many decades of experience as a father/son owned transmission shop.

Look on IATN ("International Automotive Technicians Network", I've been a member since 2006) , you won't find too many experienced techs that'll recommend a high milage fluid change either.

That being the case Andrew, as with the car being new to you, I would have changed all the fluids too. Hey, if something happens down the road, you deal with it. If it runs great for a long time, even better.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dtret said:

Yeah I know what he was saying. Telling me there’s no way it was clean fluid put me off a bit, I saw it with my own eyes I know what it looked like. No worries on my end.

• Like 1

And yeah all that material in the trans pan does not look good. If the trans takes a crap on me I’ll throw another one in 👍 thanks for the advice everyone. Mc1of80 sorry I got my panties in a knot 😂

• Like 4

Seeing that drain plug, they probably never even removed the pan. I could be wrong but I don’t remember GM putting drain plugs in the pans. I always felt it was intentional to force pan removal for cleaning and more importantly, filter replacement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jöker said:

And yeah all that material in the trans pan does not look good. If the trans takes a crap on me I’ll throw another one in 👍 thanks for the advice everyone. Mc1of80 sorry I got my panties in a knot 😂

You’re a good man Andrew. Remember we don’t mean to be offensive, we are all trying to help everyone. All we get are pictures, you got the real deal experience. They say a picture is worth a thousand words but sometimes it doesn’t tell the whole story. I do hope that your transmission is ok though, not fun to change. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

You’re a good man Andrew. Remember we don’t mean to be offensive, we are all trying to help everyone. All we get are pictures, you got the real deal experience. They say a picture is worth a thousand words but sometimes it doesn’t tell the whole story. I do hope that your transmission is ok though, not fun to change. 

I hope so too. Need to rent a pipe expander tomorrow to finish the exhaust. The h pipe was dented a bit on one end so the pipe won’t slip in 🙄 once that is fixed I can drive it and hope for the best. A rebuilt is only like $1600 so it’s not too bad but I’d rather not have to replace it 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jöker said:

I hope so too. Need to rent a pipe expander tomorrow to finish the exhaust. The h pipe was dented a bit on one end so the pipe won’t slip in 🙄 once that is fixed I can drive it and hope for the best. A rebuilt is only like $1600 so it’s not too bad but I’d rather not have to replace it 

Can you just take the two pieces to an exhaust shop and have them fix the bend real quick. Save you the two trips. Maybe. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Can you just take the two pieces to an exhaust shop and have them fix the bend real quick. Save you the two trips. Maybe. 

It’s just the tip at the end, I just need to round it out to make it circular again.

A good trans fix is a bottle is the Lucas trans fluid." Stops Slips. Used it in mine because of it looked just as your pan did. I drove it for 8 more years, no issues.I used a full bottle then rest with new fluid. It's a good fix in a bottle. I use lots of Lucas Products in all " my stuff " gallery_1763_8_1413157507_2588.jpg

• Like 3

Almost forgot to mention, Welcome to the Club!! Very nice'70 you have there. As for pictures, they are always welcome here as everyone likes to look at the improvements/ modifications we do to these Monte's. I'm in the middle of BBC / Turbo 400 swap in mine. I had to upgrade to a 12 bolt that I see is present in your '70 . Do you know what gear ratio it has? Always curious about that. Looks like some good upgrades all ready. Did it already have the upper/ lower rear control arms on it? Good upgrade, just hope that the bushings were done at the same time. Oh , and Semper Fi Brother !!gallery_1763_8_1413157507_2589.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 12:43 PM, 420ponies said:

Almost forgot to mention, Welcome to the Club!! Very nice'70 you have there. As for pictures, they are always welcome here as everyone likes to look at the improvements/ modifications we do to these Monte's. I'm in the middle of BBC / Turbo 400 swap in mine. I had to upgrade to a 12 bolt that I see is present in your '70 . Do you know what gear ratio it has? Always curious about that. Looks like some good upgrades all ready. Did it already have the upper/ lower rear control arms on it? Good upgrade, just hope that the bushings were done at the same time. Oh , and Semper Fi Brother !!gallery_1763_8_1413157507_2589.jpg

Thanks I’ve only had it a few weeks but I love this car. As for gear ratio I forgot to count the teeth when I was in there so I might have to do the wheel/driveshaft count method. The red control arms were already there. Eventually I’ll paint them black 👍