New guy - Vin vs body tag legit?

Flomastr

No. One of the two have been changed. I believe the rivits on the Van Nuys cars came up from the bottom on the in tag. The only way to know which is correct is a build sheet ( flint won’t have one) or pull the AC/ heater box and look for the vin stamp underneath 

• Like 1

Note that Van Nuys is sometimes shown as BL on the body tag so double check the F vs the B on the tag.

The date on the engine lines up with the date on the body tag April 16th engine build, car was build 4th week of April.

Do you still have the blue sticker on the end of the driver's door by the latch? If so there is a VIN on there and a build date. See if those match up

That is definitely FL for Flint on the body tag. If the VIN has an L for Van Nuys then someone moved either the VIN tag or body tag. I would personally walk away. Do they have a build sheet?

I also see 04B for 2nd week of April. April 16th engine build would be at least 3rd week of April I think.

Yes it is a 350/4 barrel/4 speed black bucket seat interior fathom blue with dark blue top (now black) 

gauges, AC, rear sway bar boxed control arms 

was registered in California now Florida 

Problem-L in vin is Van Nuys CA and FL in body tag is Flint 

Is my concern

I assume there is a title with the car.  You may want to see what the current title indicates.  It does bother me that the body tag and VIN don't match especially since they are both mounted in the same area of the body.  

If the engine and transmission numbers match the title title it may mean that someone switched a body of the car but if, like Aaron said that the numbers on the body tag match the date on the body tag that would be a long shot.

Having a 4 speed Monte would be great but if these things are something that bother you then you need to figure out if it is enough for you to walk away from this sale and keep looking or something you want to take a chance on.  It is a tough decision.

Have you asked the seller to see if there is a e good explanation for the differing numbers?  I think that would be my next question to him.  Bottom line, it may be a way to get the price down on the car.

rob

• Like 2

Rob, only found the engine code V0416CNJ under alternator not the last dgits of the vin, but that matches body tag date of mid April, of a 350 4speed 4 barrel car

Edited by Flomastr

50 minutes ago, Flomastr said:

Rob, only found the engine code V0416CNJ under alternator not the last dgits of the vin, but that matches body tag date of mid April, of a 350 4speed 4 barrel car

If the engine matches the TRIM tag build date, the car you are looking at most likely has been tagged.

NO GM vehicle has a trim tag from one plant and a vin from a totally different plant. 

Somewhere along the line someone most likely did something fishy. 

• Like 2