Heads

Leghome

Anyone have any experience with Brodix heads.  I called them and he asked about what my plan was and I told him just a street machine with very little or no racing and he gave me his recommendation part number 1021005 at $1338 a pair and Edelbrock $1192.50 each recommended part number 600895. Sent a message to Dart and AFR and have heard nothing from them. I have not read many reviews on Brodix but most were positive but I only believe less than half of what I read on their websites

Larry , 

Brodix is an excellent head choice they have been tried and proven on the track for quite some time. As you have spoken to them and explained what you want to do, They will help you to achieve that very thing !

I also would have them to match port everything and have your intake match ported as well . You will not be disappointed !!!

I would not hesitate for a moment to buy another set of Brodix heads in the future , However the others mentioned , I am sure can help you to achieve the same results. Dart and AFR , They too have some very nice setups.    Good luck my friend !!!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled the drivers side head yesterday and today Jamey (son in-law) took the valves out of number seven and found a broken inner spring which in turn cut the valve seal on the intake side. Also either the valve stems or the guides are worn as there was minimal side play in each one. Founds some heads that suit my driving style, budget and seem to be pretty decent set for in the neighborhood of $1200

• Like 3

Here are some photos of why this motor was using oil. Broken inner valve spring cut the seal. Also found four other broken inner springs on this head now to remove the  other head and see how bad that side is. Ordered ProMaxx Series One SBC 183 heads with 183cc intake runner and 72cc combustion chamber. Present heads are 180 runner with 76 chamber. My son in-law commutated new compression should be around 9.3 to 1. Will be able to run 87 octane gas and oil using being nil. Should have parts by this weekend. Now out to the garage and remove the other head

IMG_1472.JPG

IMG_1473.JPG

IMG_1474.JPG

IMG_1475.JPG

• Like 4

10 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Are the new heads the same size valves? 

I think they are they same or really close

Got the other head off after fighting the back header bolt for an hour. It will be somewhat easier as I massaged the head a little LOL. Here is a photo of the seal off of the intake valve for no 2. I am not to adept at getting close ups with my I Phone as this shows but the top of that seal is mangled almost beyond recognition. 

IMG_1476.JPG

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marks71 said:

I never realized that roller lifters came that far out of the bore. Learned something.

They have to have those connecters to keep everything lined up and not hit any vital organs. I was somewhat surprised when I first seen them also but I knew something was up when I saw the parts list after the last rebuild and it showed 1921485 pushrods out of a Vortec V6

• Like 2

Doing a little test fitting today. Home because I tested positive for the virus so a few days of isolation and nothing else to do.  Also did some checking last night and found my new valves are .115 taller than the stock heads.  Called summit and the do not have any push rods that are .115 longer than what I have but do have some that are .132 longer. Boy we are having fun NOW. NOT

IMG_1501.jpeg

IMG_1500.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Everything is fitting just fine now to figure out what pushrods to use. Talked to Summit the other day and the only thing they had is a 3/16" pushrod was 7.325 which will probably work but need to do more digging into all of this to make sure I don't screw up a great setup.  These will be .132 longer than what I have but the present ones are .115 short of what I have to be of the correct geometry of what was on the engine making them .017 longer than what I think I need.  I need to find me an local engine guru and have a discussion. My son in-law just had his appendix removed so he is out of commission for a few weeks but he does have an adjustable push rod to see what is exactly needed. He is the mechanic that I am not lol

What about lash caps? They slip over the top of valve stem. My Z28 has them on there, roller cam, etc.

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

What about lash caps? They slip over the top of valve stem. My Z28 has them on there, roller cam, etc.

I have never heard of lash caps before. After looking at them with my new valves being .115 taller wouldn't lash caps make them even taller and to me that throws the geometry off even further? 

What pushrod length/diameter do you need? I went through the same thing with summit until I manually looked up their pushrod options. 

2 hours ago, Leghome said:

I have never heard of lash caps before. After looking at them with my new valves being .115 taller wouldn't lash caps make them even taller and to me that throws the geometry off even further? 

I though you mentioned something about a short measurement,  may have mis-read what you posted. You said your present ones are .115 too short, so I figured maybe a lash cap would help in the right direction?

2 hours ago, Steve G said:

What pushrod length/diameter do you need? I went through the same thing with summit until I manually looked up their pushrod options. 

5/16” diameter, present length is 7.193 my new heads have valves which are .115   taller than original valve height.

7 hours ago, Leghome said:

5/16” diameter, present length is 7.193 my new heads have valves which are .115   taller than original valve height.

Oh. It’s kinda risky to assume the deck height, valve positioning and rocker stud positioning is identical to your old setup and the only difference is the .115 valve length. And assume it was the correct pushrod in the first place. I really think you should throw a rocker on there and measure it out correctly. It’s a tiny bit of time and very cheap to do. Could save you a lot of headaches.