Interior Bucket seat trim

I bought two repro Bucket seats for my 70 monte.  The side trim and lower bottom, trim comes off in hotter weather, the glue used softens is a mess. Its chrome plated molded plastic trim. No bullet end caps. Was this correct for a 70?

If so what is best adhesive to get these trim pieces to say put? 

Thanks

I just replaced most of mine, no adhesive needed (1970 SS ) I'm pretty sure Ron also did his with new trim. I ordered all new pieces I'm not a "stock" guy so someone else will chime In with the "original" configuration on trim. 

• Like 1

Most of the Monte Carlo bucket seats I have seen and had did not have the "bullet" end caps. That being said, my 70, "Big Red" has them now. Without the end caps, to me, looks unfinished. 

• Like 2

From the factory the seats did not have the chrome on the lower part for a Monte. Just the upper part around the seat back. No end caps were used.

I added the trim to the lower part on the 71 SS I used to have and it did the same thing yours is doing. It doesn’t want to bend around that corner and when it straightens out it pulls off. I eventually took it off and redid it. I tried to make sure the trim was installed straight down if that makes any sense. The first time I did it I think it was on a bit of an angle which made it easier for it to pup off. You could also try making a cut on the trim on the inside of that bend so it will make that bend easier. You won’t see the cut and it won’t have any force trying to pull off the front part of the seat.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

Most of the Monte Carlo bucket seats I have seen and had did not have the "bullet" end caps. That being said, my 70, "Big Red" has them now. Without the end caps, to me, looks unfinished. 

I didnt put the end caps on mine, at least I can't take another hit on the modifications points 🤣

But I did add the lower piece and I thought that might not be "original" I just wanted the look. 

• Like 2

You can heat them a little bit to help with the bend. Over bend it a little so you have bounce back. A hair dryer or heat will get it done. Be careful not to overheat it. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dtret said:

You can heat them a little bit to help with the bend. Over bend it a little so you have bounce back. A hair dryer or heat will get it done. Be careful not to overheat it. 

That's what I did when I installed mine.

• Like 1

Replaced the top and added the bottom trim last year.. and installed the end caps.. but I can’t remember where I ordered them from. Probably find that listing in , what did you do to your Monte Carlo today, post.. No glue necessary. And the  inside bottom is visible , at least part of it.. the old trim had really yellowed.. you can also use warm water to form new ones into the correct shape. It was sent too long so there is some trimming to do.. Ron…IMG_2589.thumb.jpeg.ddf58d6853ac1cf72179c1f0f2370317.jpegIMG_2590.thumb.jpeg.00d576483dbdc80060706b97d6cb9366.jpegIMG_2591.thumb.jpeg.5decde9a30c5af8d11d77c2f40037b6a.jpeg

• Like 2

Hey Ron, looks great. Was your trim molded plastic/chrome plated? Mine is and it keeps coming off along with whatever junk adhesive glue.

Was that original to the 70 models? And for the record no bullet caps were used on the 70 model?

2 hours ago, The Archivist said:

Hey Ron, looks great. Was your trim molded plastic/chrome plated? Mine is and it keeps coming off along with whatever junk adhesive glue.

Was that original to the 70 models? And for the record no bullet caps were used on the 70 model?

As Aaron said, and it's what I thought I remembered, no end caps and no bottom piece trim on the seats. 

• Like 1

That’s the first time I’ve seen the end caps. Mine doesn’t have them, nor did the 71 I purchased back in 73. Were the caps metal or plastic?

Caps and trim are plastic. The monties have the lip necessary to hold the trim on without the need for glue. The monties also have an end cap slot and lip to slide the cap on. Kinda like the end cap should have been there but wasn’t..

• Like 1

Here's what I put on my 72. The trim came from Ames Pontiac Performance. It was thicker and matched what was originally there.

Initially, I picked up a set from Legendary Interiors. It was too thin, so I replaced it with this. If someone wants it cheap though, I'll bring it to Carlisle.

The molded 'tips' on the seat where the silver trim seems to abut is just about the same size. I didn't have the end caps, nor did it come with the Legendary or Ames trim. I imagine I could use the Chrome Paint pen to coat the 'tips', but that's not even on the list of things to do right now.

20240316_103523.jpg

• Like 4

I always wondered why the lowers didn’t have the trim. They were clearly set up for it. Did GM reserve the lower trim for their more upscale lines (BOP)? Thanks for the info Joe, I think I’ll order a set from Ames, mine have lost some of their bling.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Marks71 said:

I always wondered why the lowers didn’t have the trim. They were clearly set up for it. Did GM reserve the lower trim for their more upscale lines (BOP)? Thanks for the info Joe, I think I’ll order a set from Ames, mine have lost some of their bling.

Here's the info I got from my original invoice Mark. Price was from 10-2019.

Part# Part Description Status Qty $ Each
A132Z 68-72 CORRECT MOLDED SEAT PIPING OR 1 $89.00

A quick search & cut/paste found the link to their site for the piping:

https://www.amesperf.com/parts/35140/

They also list a set with 'Caps', but no picture. I'm guessing it's the tips? Based on the construction of the molded trim piece in my car, I wouldn't have ordered that anyways. It seems to make a nice transition as-is & shown above.

https://www.amesperf.com/parts/37007/

And finally, they do have a set for 'Chevelle', but it only has the two back pieces. For the 'low scale', Chevy cheapo cars :k (or GM 'crap-boxes' as Mark Worman would say...j/k, obviously)

https://www.amesperf.com/parts/56900/

• Thank You! 1