Rosewood Steering wheel...

When I got my Monte, it had a well worn steering wheel with the big horn pad with "Monte Carlo" off to one side.  I'm assuming it was the factory wheel, but it was beat.  I went back and forth about what to replace it with: Rosewood or the 2 horn button "standard" version.  I ended up with the Rosewood (very nice repop), but I have never gotten over how it looks contrasted to the burl wood!  I might put a leather cover over the Rosewood, which seems kinda dumb because that wheel is all about the Rosewood!  Or I might get the "standard".

Has anyone used the repop "standard" wheel?  I have a factory insert with the Monte Carlo emblem.  And I'm just curious: did any Montes come from the factory with the Rosewood wheel? 

monte interior.jpg

monte steering wheel 2 button.jpg

monte steering wheel insert.jpg

• Like 1

They didn't come with the Rosewood wheel but the same wheel you have with black. I like the look of the rosewood. But now that you mention the burlwood contrast I see what you mean. If it bothers you you could try to sell it and get the black wheel. My car came with the standard wheel you had in the car but I put the sport wheel on. 

• Like 4

I put the black rimmed wheel in mine and modified the horn button with a "Monte' hat pin. I'm pretty happy with that wheel over the 4 spoke NK4 wheel I had in there.

20230509_143058.jpg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, kpcsgasp said:

never liked the 4 spoke wheel. it reminds me too much of the Vega🤢

Exactly, lol

• Like 1
  • Thank You! 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, kpcsgasp said:

where did you find the Monte horn cap? I've been looking for one for a while.

I made it.

Milled off the Chevy emblem, then modified a Monte hat pin to go in its place.

20230329_112242.jpg

20230329_112304.jpg

20230331_134908.jpg

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

PS. If you decide to sell the black factory wheel let me know, I'd be interested.

Paul

Do you mean the original wheel?  It is a cracked disaster!  

57 minutes ago, kpcsgasp said:

Had mine leather wrapped with stitching to match the body color.

I like that!  I'll probably go that route to start.

Had it done at Craft Customs out of Texas. takes about 3 weeks to get done. A bit spendy but the craftsmanship is first rate.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I put the black rimmed wheel in mine and modified the horn button with a "Monte' hat pin. I'm pretty happy with that wheel over the 4 spoke NK4 wheel I had in there.

20230509_143058.jpg

THAT is awesome!  Now I'm wondering if I could use the factory insert emblem to do that.  Gorgeous interior!  (Love the factory non-AC heater controls!  ;))

• Like 1
  • Thank You! 1

14 minutes ago, John Burns said:

THAT is awesome!  Now I'm wondering if I could use the factory insert emblem to do that.  Gorgeous interior!  (Love the factory non-AC heater controls!  ;))

Factory Monte insert would be way too big. The hat pin is only about an inch wide.

Thanks on the interior, Legendary did the upholstery, I put the Dakota Digital dash in, Custom Autosound 740 radio, & new carpets, etc. The HVAC control is the original GM A/C panel though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Factory Monte insert would be way too big. The hat pin is only about an inch wide.

Yup!  The factory emblem is 2" wide.  Your mod looks factory- so cool.

• Thank You! 1

1 minute ago, John Burns said:

Yup!  The factory emblem is 2" wide.  Your mod looks factory- so cool.

Thank you!

I initially did it with the horn cap for the NK4 wheel. I had planned to further modify that one by making a mold of the insert, use clear acrylic and embed the hat pin, etc., but that never happened. 

20230331_141117.jpg

• Like 2

My ‘70 arrived with this wheel. I wouldn’t be adverse going back to the original if I can find one in (near) perfect condition. image.thumb.jpeg.34be8bb72cb50a4714786585f9e65c2a.jpeg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, John Burns said:

Do you mean the original wheel?  It is a cracked disaster!  

They can be repaired, how is the horn button?? I might still be interested and try to repair it. Let me know

7 hours ago, Dtret said:

Glen that’s looks to be the correct wheel and with the tilt option. What does your build sheet say?

Oh #%*@ !!  I never noticed this. I seem to remember the previous owner from Wisconsin who I contacted through phone numbers on old receipts telling me he didn’t think it was original to the car, and I kind of dismissed it at face value.  Is this wheel RPO N33?

3A6534DF-EB9A-46D4-BFAB-779DDB4214CE.png

In the GM Heritage Package info, they call the N33 a 'Comfortilt' wheel, the other one was NK1-Cushioned Rim Steering Wheel

53 minutes ago, jft69z said:

In the GM Heritage Package info, they call the N33 a 'Comfortilt' wheel, the other one was NK1-Cushioned Rim Steering Wheel

43 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Look up in the boxes for steering wheel code. N33 is for the tilt column but it has the option wheel as Joe mentioned. 

If you’re referencing boxes 69, 70 & 71… 69 appears to read “STRG ???” (WHL??). And then, of course there’s a spot right over the code, but it looks like it starts “A”.  “NK1” does NOT appear on the Build Sheet. 

BE31032E-71D5-45C8-B9F4-D2899B5F51F5.png

What does it say in the lower part of the sheet, where the N33 was, anything about steering wheel?

The build sheet on my old Custom shows N33 and  NK4 listed below, but in the STRG. WHL. box up above it says '125', which means nothing to me.

Granted, two different plants, different years, etc, but I wouldn't get hung up on what the upper boxes say, at least at this point.

Lot of info about GM wheels here too:

http://www.camaros.org/swheel.shtml