72 Monte Transmission

All,

It’s been a journey to say the least when it comes to my 72 Monte…so I took it to a mechanic because the power steering pump needed replacement…got a call yesterday that there is a “bigger problem,” the car wouldn’t go into any gear when then mechanic tried to take it out garage. His words,” it does not click” and hold into any gear. I know it could me
a variety of things, but where should he start to diagnose the problem? It’s a TH350. 

Thanks,

Check the shift linkage. Could be as simple as a bolt or rivet fell out

• Like 2

If the transmission was not giving you any signs like slipping or any other weird things I would start at the linkage hopefully the clip fell off or something simple like that. I would also find a new mechanic one that doesn't use the terms "it does not click". Good luck.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Ditto on the mechanic that 714024speed said. Sounds like the shift linkage pin came out at the transmission gear selector. Bucket seat, console I'm hoping. Mine had an old cotter pin and fell out after I'd switched motors before the restoration. Found the pin on the floor and wondered "where did that come from". Start there, then it might be in the console . 

• Like 2

you're suspicions are warranted...   the 'bigger problem might not be mechanical... like going in for a routine teeth cleaning and wait,  you need $61,000 worth of implants..huh see ya later!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's probably something simple with the linkage. You're main problem will be getting the car back home if the mechanic says it won't go into gear. 

This popped up on FB today. Another timely post on there.

FB_IMG_1711374169517.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3