Valve cover & Oil filler cap

Canuck

My 72 has a different valve cover and oil filler cap than my 70. The 70 has the cap that fits in the notches of the valve cover and you turn to fasten. The 72 has just a round hole in the valve cover (no notches cut out) and the oil cap is just has a rubber seal that you push in to the valve cover. Is this stock on my 72? I've never seen this before.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Second question:

I want to replace the cap since the rubber on mine is really hard making it difficult to pop in and out of the valve cover. I've been to 3 auto parts stores and they only have an all rubber plug with "OIL" stamped in it which looks cheesy to me. The one I have is metal with a rubber plug riveted on it which looks a little nicer. Where can I find a decent looking new cap. I haven't tried the Chev dealer yet.

Thanks!

Edit: Just looked on the Year One site. Even they only have the all rubber cap:

cd144.jpg

What do the other 72 Monte owners with stock valve covers use here?

I can't remember Aaron (I'm very old grin). However I would guess the rubber one with "OIL" on it is probably the stock one and what you currently have is aftermarket. Guys???

Here is one type.. mr gsket 9815 also Moroso 68660 & (Push-In Oil Filler Cap 141-630, Chrome 12341993 G.M. performance parts).

mrg-9815_w.jpg

At one time there was Edelmann/parker hannifin that made a cap similar to what you're discribing.. BUT! once Edelmann got bought out by Plews they deleted a lot of their lines. If I remember correctly it was a rubber plug with a rivet on top with a chromed cover if you will. Have not seen one like it in a while. The stock cap is just a rubber plug.

Rod

I have the rubber push in as well on my 72-I guess they felt they had to put the word on there so the pump jockey didn't think COOLANT was to go in thru there(or maybe the legal dept was on top of things-"nobody told me what not to pour down there-it all goes to the same place,don't it??? " SUE SUE SUE!!!)

Oh no-Allen I nearly fell off my chair-just when you think you've idiot-proofed something,its time to think "idiot times 10" -its just unbelievable!!!(and presumably NOT getting any better)...

Not all those rubber oil caps have OIL marked on them. About half have 710 marked on them. That is what the blond told me. Maybe she just had it turned around 180*.

Has anyone ever seen a rubber plug style oil fill cap with just the Chevy bow tie on it? I had one at one time but don't remember where I got it from.

Bruce

Has anyone ever seen a rubber plug style oil fill cap with just the Chevy bow tie on it? I had one at one time but don't remember where I got it from.

Bruce

This one? lol

778-141-630_4.jpg778-141-630_1.jpg

jegs

Well, I ordered the chrome 710 cap from the local auto parts store. They couldn't get me the OIL one. Thanks guys. grin

Can't you just go buy a big cork from the hardware store? Or maybe one of those big wooden type like they hammer into wine barrels? Now that would look industrial. You could have a logo branded on the end of the cork to read something like: "Boones Farm 1970"