Proper introduction

Stroker-383

Hi all,

Maybe some of you followed the for sale/ wanted topics , about our member 'yellowmc' selling his 1/2 brown / 1/2 grey , monte to me a couple of months ago. September 20, 2009 , to be precise.

Well, the car has been transported and after a couple of small problems if got the car here. ( small problems: 1.flat tire, so roll-on/roll-of system takes more time... 2.The car was out of gas ) But last monday ( 18jan ) the car was finally there!. After fixing the tire with "fix-it" and checking oil etc.etc. and offcourse refilling the gastank with gas. ( paying $6,34/gallon ).

I finally got it started up, and drove a couple of times back and fourth. All perfect, runs and drives great, only I saw some white smoke from the exhaust (coolant).(..checking..)

Also when I shift gears from Park to Reverse or whatever, it "bangs" in the selected gear. ( I was thinking of the idle rpm is to high ??)( Someone familliar with this?)

Also I started pulling the car apart and putting it back together. ( completely primered ). This because of the dutch customs dislike the fact that the car has three colors.( dont ask me why...)

Here are some pictures of the car, toring it apart and also putting it back together for a short spin on the "real" road... laugh...

ARRIVAL:

dsc04194c.jpg

dsc04193u.jpg

dsc04192ac.jpg

dsc04160o.jpg

Quick Paintjob:

dsc04260f.jpg

dsc04272q.jpg

dsc04271t.jpg

dsc04281mm.jpg

dsc04314i.jpg

dsc04295j.jpg

More to come ( I was out of primer :()

dsc04316n.jpg

Last one!

Oh: Small update...

( Robyn, hope you didn't have problems with the car, but saturday i took the car for a little spin and without putting the car or on any stress, i blew the waterpump gasket. And loosed al coolant ( About 1,5 gallons )... Drove home very slowly ( It's about minus 8 here, so the engine was being cooled pretty good ).

I got home , tore-off the waterpump ( OOOHH shocked The bolts weren't tightened... i checked the edelbrock air-intake , that wasnt tightened either ...damnit. Hope this engine is okay.... This is it for now.. hope to get an update soon.

Your making progress fast...excellent!!!

Welcome to the board, great group here......

Allen has the right idea....have someone look under the car to see if the u-joints have excessive play in them as you shift it from drive to reverse (with your foot on the brake of course).

Steve

welcome to the site.

Also I started pulling the car apart and putting it back together. ( completely primered ). This because of the dutch customs dislike the fact that the car has three colors .( dont ask me why...)

Wow, interesting law.

Temperature change will cause your bolts to potentially loosen up some, especially the intake. It's not that they weren't tight, it is that expansion and contraction of the engine components can cause bolts to back out sometimes. You will want to check those bolts a couple times every year to make sure they didn't loosen up. The water pump doesn't surprise me either, going to driving in -8 degrees. Both the intake and water pump bolts loosen up on my car too. You'll also want to check the exhaust bolts every now and then.

Welcome to the board smile

Well, the problem is that there is going to be color on the legal papers. So two-tone paint job or racing stripes , is going to be : the primary color. ( I know -- weird.. )

@Henkeng : I will do that wink thx

• 2 weeks later...

Well , have been doing some work lately... Here's a small/big update smile

Past weeks i've been pretty busy with the car, painting the hood, straightend the bodywork on both sides. Such as right front fender, left front fender, and doors. I also cleaned the windows.

dsc04339f.jpg

dsc042601.jpg

dsc04340c.jpg

dsc04337i.jpg

Looks much better!!

After putting the bodyparts back on, I found a broken rubber on the top of the rightfront ball-joint. ( that keeps the front wheel in alignment. ) So I bought a new ball-joint rubber at the local parts shop and switched it with the old one. The problem of changing the ball-joint is when loosing the ball-joint, the hole suspension is under pressure because of the spring and shockabsorber pressure. So to solve that, I hold them together with a ratchet. It works perfectly .

dsc04343m.jpg

you can see that the chassis has a little bit of ( as we call it "fly rust" ) . I will solve this in a while , tearing it apart, sandblasting it , and powdercoat it. ( I have my own sandblaster ( because i work with Harley restoration work a lot . I have my own 1984 Harley electra, that i painted myself --> ( I have my own painting company )Candy apple red with black on top , seperated by a 23-karat gold flake line . All house of Kolor .. and special painted small skulls in corners ...Can post an image if people ask me about it. ) and i work at a powdercoat company so thats not a problem. )

Yeah i'm a busy man wink

I noticed that the engine was running a bit high on idle .. ( I think this was because of the engine and transmission was rebuilt about 1000mls ago , and it's bad because of when the engine is running low on idle , the crankshaft will get all the blasts and the bearings don't like that very much. )( You know what i'm talking about when your familliar with harley's running low on idle ... wink )

So i ajusted that, searched on the net for information about how ajusting needs to be done. After about 15 minutes it was running like a charm. It shifts gears a lot better now , so that is solved also.

I also checked the lights on the car, fixed the back-up lights, switched the front sealed beams to H4's with a E dot approval.( european standard ). Checked and ajusted the parking brake, just wanted to say thanks to Robyn , I found out that the car is technically 300 %. The rear brakes ( drums ) are completely new... ( As for a lot of parts that are on the car. )

Well after all this was done , i made an appoitment with the dutch government regarding checking the car on technical specs and driveability for yesterday ( monday 8 am )..

Well the car is approved for the dutch road!!. The only thing was a not working seat belt tensioner in the back. Thats not a problem. They will check it in a week.

Here some photo's on how progress is going:

foto3561.jpg

foto3571.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well , it's been a while ...

A week ago , I installed my bucket seats ( racing seats ) :

stoelenlinks1.jpg

stoelenlinks.jpg

stoelenrechts.jpg

stoelenrechts1.jpg

I'm not sure what my plans are with the rear seat/bench ,i think im going to buy me some aluminium plates, making sheet metal fabricated plates, with nice "roller" lines.

Last saturday ive been busy with the trunkfloor, there were to large holes in the trunk. Transporting aftermarket trunkfloor pieces is to expensive... so bought me some sheet metal. pictures!!:

Before:

foto417sm.jpg

foto418sm.jpg

foto419sm.jpg

foto420sm.jpg

Leaving the gas tank hooks alone..

foto426sm.jpg

foto427sm.jpg

a>

I am now welding and closing it... so further pictures are on the way!

so your making a custom trunk floor..that will be cool...please keep the pics comming...its looking good so far..looks like your having fun with her..do you wanna fly over the pond and do my trunk floor for me?..congrats on your monte and have fun with her

• 3 weeks later...

Well, can post a little update again.

I've got pictures of the completed trunk floor.. ( i still need to spray some floorprotector on it, but it is nearly completed ).

Spotwelded the floor every 0,50 inch. between welds. It's very thick material, but kind a lightwight ( it's lighter but stronger than the original one. ) After spotwelding top and bottom, i sealed it with "technobond". Perfect.

1111rn.jpg

11111iy.jpg

2222d.jpg

222222mgf.jpg

2222222mi.jpg

22222222l.jpg

I also cut my exhaust , it's now coming out of the side , in front of the rear tires , with magna's, and a balance pipe directly behind the transmission support bracket. ( where transmission is connected with a shaft--> to the diff ) ... ( I dont know how it's called )

Not factory looking, but I'd say it's probably as strong if not stronger. The craftsmanship looks very good. Don't forget the progress pics..we're hooked. grin