Car wont Go in park???Please Help

Guest Grandchamp

Guest Grandchamp

Hello fellow fgmc friends i was wondering could anyone tell me why my car wont go in park, the problem just started this past weekend its a th350 tranny and 400 sbc engine it has a console shifter and i haven't owned it but a few weeks???Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.... Oh yeah its a 1970 model

first Welcome Tavis!!! It sounds like a simple linkage issue. Does everything line up correctly with the shifter? By that I mean if you run the shifter through all the gates does it hit all the gears as indicated by the shift indicator?

Start there first with you in the seat, foot on the brakes and the car running...Davey

Guest Grandchamp

Thanks for the welcome Davey, No i noticed when i purchased the car that it didnt hit the third gate it went straight to the second gate but i'm almost positive that i was in the correct gear

just trying to keep up with the Wallaby's..... grin

Okay Tavis, did you go out and try things? Me and Mark here will drive you nuts with ideas!

Need to know exactly what the indicator says when you engage all the different gears...1st..2nd...3rd(drive)...neutral and reverse....tag....you're it.....

I'm betting that when he pulls it all the way back into low gear, his pointer is probably somewhere between 1 & 2...or maybe even pointing at 2.

I'm not sure where floor shift adjustments are made; mine shifts on the column. I just loosten the jamb nut on the linkage near the trans and move the trans lever all the way into the park position, then I go up above and put the shifter into park, and then tighten the jamb nut back up.

Does that sound close? can't remember if floor shift pushes or pulls on the cable or anything....I'm out of my element.

I wanna say it pushes low to park and pulls park to low but I have to be upside down under the car to get it right....the adjustment is done at the trans lever on the cable as you say with the adjustment nuts...

Hello and Welcome

Oh boy these cars are 40 years old now . Theres no telling what all they have been thru in all those years .My first thought is did the car come with a Powerglide ? Not likely if it came with the 400 sb . Was the console added and possibly from a powerglide car. The powerglide shifter would have the detents in the wrong places . Did the car have a 700R4 with the last owner and have the 4speed/OD detent plate installed ? Again not correct for a t350.

Its sure been a while since I have been under my 70 with console shift .As I recall the lever on the side of trans has a slot adjustment for the cable . Also if the car is complete / original it will have the back drive on the shifter connecting the column shift tube ect. to operate the key lock in park mechanism .

I would get the car on level ground where I could jack it up and put it on stands where its secure to work under . Then check the cable attachment to the trans shift shaft . Probably you will need to loosen the cable end .Move the shift shaft to the park position .Memory says rotate it CCW to the park position (looking from the left side). You might also have to loosen the adjustment point on the back drive where it goes up to the steering column . Both points may need adjustment .

With both adjustment points loose ,make sure the shift lever is in the Park position ,then make sure the trans shift shaft is in the park position , then be sure to rotate the back drive all the way up (towards the column )then secure both adjustment point nut/bolt

The shifter shaft adjustment should be a nut and the back drive adjustment should be a bolt .

I wish I had pictures . Again this is going by memory . I hope it helps .

One thing to check, if it's suddenly started doing this.. is where the cable attaches to the shifter.. take the 6 screws out of the top of the console, lift off the dial indicator (that's the part with the P-R-N-D-2-1 printed on it.. then the larger console top..

the cable attaches to a lever, that bolts onto the 'horse shoe' (the part of the shifter you grab) there is a slot in that bracket for adjustment.. make sure that bolt is tight.

I had only done this adjustment once myself...in the dark at a drive-in movie. I discovered that the drive-in has the perfect terain for working under cars. LOL

Guest Grandchamp

good morning everyone, I haven't had a chance to try anything yet dave I've been working kinda steady but soon as I get a chance I'll get back with you and we'll go from there thanks for the help you guys are great

Hey Tavis, let me know if you need any visual stuff on what the guys are helping you with there...I have a 1970 Chevelle/Monte Carlo Factory assembly Manual about 3 inches thick full of pics and RPO codes...I can scan the page and email it to you to print off so you know what the fella's are talking about.???? This book is like the library everyone up here has asked to borrow it as it has body panel gaps name plate locations and engine stuff too with all GM part numbers listed in it.....I have no problem helping out as well......just give me a shout....but dont yell...Darren.

Guest Grandchamp

Hi guys i still haven't had time to work on my baby but i jus wanted to let you guys know how thankful i am for all the support i see now you guys are going to help me alot in the times to come with my car... thanks

just wait until you get the bill....

does that mean I should send you a bill for telling you how to get those drums off that ford you were working on? smirk

don't tell me to bill Leo either, you are the one who text me no

Another thing to check on while you're under there. There is a part of the linkage that goes to a frame bracket. There should be a spring and a plastic bushing on the end of the rod that goes into the bracket. I had the same trouble when the plastic bushing broke and fell out on me.

I have a factory console horse shoe shifter. There is a linkage to the collar on the steering column to lock it in park with the key off. If that linkage is out of adjustment it could possibly cause the problem. It is rare that it goes out of adjustment.

Quote:
I have a factory console horse shoe shifter. There is a linkage to the collar on the steering column to lock it in park with the key off.

Same here.

Dan