Loop

Chevyss

To me the problem with welding it in is if you ever had an accident and the shaft break it could mess up or mangle the loop. Then you would have to CUT the old one off to get a new one on. Second, I know when a shaft breaks it can mess up a lot of things but it's not a repetitive force. It's one BIG impact I would rather it pull the bolts threw the floor than rip and or mangle a big spot of floor pan that would need replaced. If it pulls the bolts out it would be easier to fix than if it rips where the welds are at the floor pan (or braces)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm not sure I agree with the "not a repetitive force" statement. If a shaft breaks it's still bolted to the differential at one end, and the transmission at the other...the front part might stop if you shift to neutral, but that rear half will continue spinning wildly under there until the car comes to a stop.

like I said... a broken driveshaft took the entire rear floor pan out of a car before..

if it breaks at the trans (main reason for needing a loop) it's gonna keep flailing around until the car stops.

If you had a loop in the back and the rear u-joint broke, you could waste your 3rd member...it would make the yoke act like a blender fed with a drive line. If the rear breaks without a loop it will pull out of the trans and drop behind you...right?

I've dropped my drive line before (front U-joint) most often it is the front U-joint that fails like speed freak said. If you have good U-Joints and the correct length drive shaft, the loop is a "just in case" precaution.

Installing a Nitrous ready driveshaft 3.5" w/1350 solid joints. Guess it's all a guy can do to ensure safty. Build it as strong as you can and hope for the best.

thread hijack:

at what power levels does the stock drive shaft itself become not strong enough? (assuming I had the yokes changed to 1350 u-joints)

it's not so much power Tim as it is exceeding the critical rpm speed of the shaft. The DS will fail in the middle when this happens, I have never seen one fail at the ends, just the joints or yokes...Dave

Tim, once you start getting serious with power, just find a driveshaft shop and get a new one built. My guy does just about any driveshaft for $375 out the door with new everything and balanceing is included. I have built everuthing from low 12 second donks to 9 second Chevy Luv trucks.

One thing in common. I build you an engine. You put it in. I build you a drivetrain, I put it in. If I put it in, you get a new driveshaft. Just a very cheapo piece of mind.