Fuel pump

maddmann313

Either its on the cam lobe which can be eliminated by turning the engine over, or your not pushing it straight back up the hole, its a little tricky cause you have a tendancy to not push it straight back up without any side pressure a pair of needle nose on it gently without burring it sometimes helps to get it up enough to get a finger under it

hope this makes sense

you have to slide it up.. it's not easy. you may need to remove the plate that is still there.

the trick to making it stay put is the bolt on the front of the engine. you have to take that short bolt out and replace it with a really long bolt, it will bear down on the rod (FINGER TIGHT ONLY!) and hold it in place while you replace the pump, then take the bolt back out, put the short one back in (or you will have a HUGE mess) and bob's your uncle.

if the rod won't slide back far enough, you may need to bump the engine over once or twice to get the lobe on the camshaft in a different place.

Tim's tips are great..one that I've used in the past once the engine's rotation is moved and the lobe is sitting on the lowest point, if you push the fuel pump rod in and it falls back down as quick as you release it..I've used a gob of grease to hold it up long enough to place the pump in..It's tricky to shove two fingers in that opening at the same time! lol

What works better for me is initially to take a pair of needle-nosed pliers to move the shaft up enough where I can get my finger under the rod to fully push it all the way in. The easy trick is to take a hacksaw blade and hold the shaft up where your finger was and you can easily install the pump that way. yay2beers

I would clean the surface area around the fuel pump mount and replace the gasket as well (if you hadn't considered this initially). Also FYI, tighten fuel pump mount bolts evenly to avoid causing a bind on the pin preventing pin to freely move in & out. I think there is a way to confirm free movement of pin once fuel pump is secured before engine starting but I can't remember procedure without being there.

Help me out here guys!!

Doug

I would clean the surface area around the fuel pump mount and replace the gasket as well (if you hadn't considered this initially). Also FYI, tighten fuel pump mount bolts evenly to avoid causing a bind on the pin preventing pin to freely move in & out. I think there is a way to confirm free movement of pin once fuel pump is secured before engine starting but I can't remember procedure without being there.

Help me out here guys!!

Doug

i've never worried about that.. i do one bolt up, then the other, but i dont' torque them down until they're both snug.. otherwise you could crack the aluminum housing.