Cut? or not?

vince

I'm thinking of moving the CD player in the glove box however I ran into a little road block, the glove box is not deep enough I need about 1/2" of space. I would like your opinions.

should I cut the back out the back of the glove box? or leave the CD player mounted as is under the factory stereo?

p1010490q.jpg

p1010491z.jpg

If your trying to keep it hidden, then cut the box! Id personally either put it in the box,with a factory style radio in the hole, or just put it in the dash where the original one was. I dont like the look of a modern stereo under the original, but thats just me.

I wanted to hide mine,but there was some damage on my dash where the original one was going to go, so I just cut it out nicely and put the new one in there.

Looks like your dash has the same damage on the back side towers that mine did now that I took a better look. I couldnt get an original one to work in there, thats why I decided to just cut the opening out.

This is the only pic I could find of mine,back when I was finishing up some interior stuff

26213280148_large.jpg

If I decide to put it in the glove box I will definitely get a factory style radio to go in the dash. I do like the look of having the player in the dash, but cutting a good dash is not an option for me.I guess that's why I am having mixed feelings about cutting the back of the glove box.

Tony, the color of your interior is sweet!!!!

Thank you Vince smile

The back of your dash looks like its missing the "towers" for the shafts to fit into. I understand your concern about cutting the dash, I was totally opposed to it as well. I remember someone putting a link up for a piece to replace them missing pieces,and someone else having a way to fix it also.

I decided to cut mine after going back and forth on what to do.And believe me,it killed me to cut that wood grain on it. I like the results on mine though. Cutting the back of your glove box wouldnt be nearly as hard on you as cutting the dash Im sure.

The box that your radio is mounted in now looks nice under there though, most of the boxes I dont like the looks of. I also saw a guy making them with woodgrain inserts on them for an Oldsmobile dash. It can be made to hold gauges,radio etc, looked like it would match our woodgrain nicely

Unless you have an all original, nubers matching, trailer queen I'd just cut the dash and be done with it. Folks spend to much time sweating an all original look. You enjoy things more when you do it the way you want and say to heck with everyone else. If the glovebox makes you happy that's cool to. Enjoy.

I'm the type that spends a lot of time fiddling with the buttons on my stereo. As I drive through town, it's volume up...volume down...radio is even worse as I search for something I want to listen to.

I just can't imagine having to reach all the way over to the glove box to do all that. I curse at the manual window crank on that side: I can clearly see it, but can't reach it while the car is in motion.

Just something more to consider.

Vince, based on the availability of some really nice DIN radios, chop that thing up. It was a tought decision on my 71 as the towers were still in perfect shape. After hearing many mixed reviews of the Cusom Autosound head units I decided a nice Walmart JVC was the hot ticket for me.

Stroker: the car is definitely not a trailer queen and I am not planning on keeping it 100% stock, so you make a very good point.

I keep scrolling up to look at Tonys pic and each time my thoughts are changing. If I am missing the towers for a factory radio, why not put the new unit in the dash?

Mark I also relate with what you’re saying I like to push the buttons myself, the new Pioneer has a remote, without it I wouldn't even think of putting in the box, It also has a AUX plug so I could run my MP3 player by my side.

It almost sounds like I am talking myself into cutting the dash.

Vince it only hurts for a little while smile Go for it, just take your time when you do it. I had someone else do it to mine because I thought I would have screwed it up, well they did a worse job than I ever would have.

I say its yours the towers are gone and they repop the dash now they do make a kit to fix the broken or removed towers but as you said its not a trailer queen go with your gut and as I said it is your car.

I was young and stupid when I cut my dash for a pull out tape deck crazy but since then I have moved up to a in dash cd player. here is a picture of my current radio023.jpg this one belongs to a fellow monte person who's car I've been working on radioindash001.jpg The main thing if you do cut the dash is to take your time and test fit and trim the opening. I've also seen boxes like OLDS would have under the dash fitted with cd players even right down to have a fake face of a 8-track player.

Well I went ahead and cut the dash, I still need to trim the opening a little because it wee bit to tight. The wood grain is a challenge to cut, I had my dad helping me and I think he may have gone a little too far on one side, We will have to see once it's all together. I will post a pic later.

thanks for everyone input, It wasn't as painful as I thought.

I did take my time and didn't use any power tools, didn't want them to get out of control.

Thanks again.

Vince, there are different size filler plates available, I have three leftover from my radio install, I used the smallest ring there was in the pack of 4. I can check and see what is there and let you know,Im almost postitive I saved them.Your welcome to them if you can use them. It could cover up a minor mistake (or a major one if you use the huge one!)

Vince, I "dug" my way to the shed today to find them lol

snow2011001.jpg

I have 3 of them, 1/8" 1/2" and 3/4" Obviously I used the 1/4" one for mine. It basically is a nice textured rectangle that goes around the radio. I can send you a few pics if youd like, but if you PM me your address Ill send them to you if you want them. They are cheap enough if you want to buy them locally,I think the set of 4 was 20 bucks, but if you can use one of the ones I have here let me know, your welcome to them

It appeared that you couldn't mount the stock radio as it was already partially broken so cutting it was probably your best option. Looking forward to seeing photos when it's done.

My goal for the 72 was to keep the car looking stock when parked and i installed my stereo in the glove box. I have new style speakers but used the stock speaker grills to maintain stock appearance. The 72 is my daily driver so I didn't want to draw more attention to the car with a fancy stereo in view.

The only time I find an issue with having a stereo in the glove box is when I have a passenger. My CD player has a remote but the unit has to be in sight (i.e. glove box needs to be open) for the remote to work. It works fine for me since I rarely have a passenger in that car. If anyone puts a stereo in their glove box, I highly recommend getting one where the remote can work with the glove box closed as it will make life a little easier. smile