Jacking by the differential

MGD72Monte

I've always wanted to ask this. Does anyone know why the manuals say not to jack a car by the differential if it has a rear sway bar?

I can't see the difference if you are actually lifting by the diff housing.

Is it because someone not paying attention might accidently place the jack pad under the sway bar and bend it?

i think thats exactly what it is but who would do that unless they dont want to jack by the diff because the car could roll forward???? but thats kinda far fetched!!!

I jack mine by the diff with a sway bar, but it is a pain to get the jack under without catching the sway bar. You don't want to put the jack on the sway bar...

I have an aftermarket swaybar on mine but I can clear it to get the jack positioned on the differential and have lifted it many times that way...but I'm thinking they say don't lift it from there because the differential is not a strong point.

The bumper is tied into the frame so that always makes a proper way of lifting...but lifting at a point between the two rear wheels I would think it has to have great stress on the axle tubes. Mine are welded but from the factory they are not. Like I said I lift it alot that way but cringe each time.

My jacks can't reach the bumper on the back... Airshocks! I like a high setting back end smile

I've always used the diff, and without to much worry either... but I've only has to jack the back end up about... 3 times...

I was looking for a tranny leak and needed the transmission in gear and moving so.... ya know... that made me REALLY nervous...

My jacks can't reach the bumper on the back.

I was actually referring to the factory bumper jack at that point... wink

EDIT: I see you say you have air shocks so the factory jack wouldn't really work unless you let the air out.

I am going out to the garage right now and am gonna jack it up by the differential and let it idle in drive...I'm looking for a wobble in my right axle. Talk about nervous, even with the front chocked and blocks under each shock mount I still expect the car to take off through my garage wall... lol

Originally Posted By: MonteFox89
My jacks can't reach the bumper on the back.

I was actually referring to the factory bumper jack at that point... wink

EDIT: I see you say you have air shocks so the factory jack wouldn't really work unless you let the air out.

I am going out to the garage right now and am gonna jack it up by the differential and let it idle in drive...I'm looking for a wobble in my right axle. Talk about nervous, even with the front chocked and blocks under each shock mount I still expect the car to take off through my garage wall... lol

I didn't realize you were talking about factory sorry lol

But yeah what you're about to do is what I was doing, except my wife was in the drivers seat giving it gas cause my leak would only happen when it moving down the road... so... being under that car when it's pushing 2500 rpms and laying under the exhaust... wear a mask man, that stuff will give ya a headache lol

I carry a small floor jack and lift only by the frame. If I need both wheels off ground at the same time I jack one side and insert jack stand then jack other side and insert jack stand,block front wheels. Parts can be replaced people cant...

There has never been an issue for me jacking it up that way....but more what I see here is I would NEVER do that with the car running and no jack stands under the frame...that kind of plan is what keeps me working(fire/medic)HAHAHAHA....I have been fighting a leak for the last year it only leaks in reverse but last night I my ride home, ummmm looks like I will be pulling the trans friday) she started to act up in 3rd about 4 blocks from home....good thing I have a good and cheap for the most part trans guy....best friend of my son said he would rebuild completely for cost of parts...yey for me all that giving to my kid may pay off for me for a change....lol

to be honest... I can't remember if I had jack stands or not... I'll have to ask my wife later on that note

The best investment you can make if you plan to do any work yourself. Even when I just change brake pads and I don't have my body under the car, I put a jack stand under the car. It's just not worth losing a hand or something else.

to be honest... I can't remember if I had jack stands or not... I'll have to ask my wife later on that note

A seasoned veteran will tell you, jack stands (while under the car) are a must. Never make the mistake of not using them.. even if for a quick looksy.