Wiring questions

stevns71monte

I myself would replace them, but that's me lol

ditto

Sounds like a simple fix...burned wires...car now runs like crap...replace wires...car now runs normal wink

Hey Steve, see if you can follow me here as it may not be an educated guess but a theory here. The rubber around the lead wire inside the Spark plug wires is a Composite rubber such as our car tires. So like they say the harder the compound of the rubber tire the longer they last on regular driveing and the softer the compound the faster they wear. Based on that and that rubber does Not conduct electricity I would guess the compound on the rubber that surrounds the inner lead would be Stiff and new almost restricting the loss of power through the lead wire delivering a straight conduct of power cause its held tight wrapped. But with the heat from the headers its has made the compound of the rubber now Far softer and not gripping tight around the lead wire inside and is too soft,so the current still travels but it is restricted cause the wire is expanding with current and heat so delivering less power and performance. So new wires may still not be out of the question with no visual damage there is still damage to the compound of the rubber and performance is lost........Just my 2 cents worth if any of that makes sence and if someone else chimes in and says I'm looseing my marbles I'll leave you with that guess..

Darren.

Ditto! On replacing the wires. The breaking down of the insulation is not good for any wire. Ignition wires with high voltage are prone for failure; with the insulation melted, the spark will have a tendency to travel to its shortest path to ground. Or an intermittent spark will occur, all this depends on the core material. Heat applied to any wire will breakdown its insulation, once that's achieved, flash-over voltage will travel along the surface of the affected wire.

If anyone suspects faulty plug wires, when it's dark at night, spray the wires with water from a spray bottle then start it up and have someone brake torque it a bit. I recall my dad's Oldsmobile arching at every plug and all around the cap. Nice light show!

Bruce

Yes change the wires Steven if there burnt at all there bad get some better than stock wires and keep them off the headers somehow (wire looms or ties at least) you still have the 2 barrel on right you may have to adjust it a bit as there is more air flow now. I found out my 2 barrel was bad after I switched to duals so I switched it out to a 4 barrel much happier. good luck.