Running hot

Clever1

Ok just got a 70 SS 454... The 454 hasn't freshly rebuilt and has been modified to be a 466, how hot should this thing be running?? And I need some ideas to help cool this thing down... I am up in the 230 to 250...

Temp should'nt get much above 190 degrees even on a warm day.

Is your radiator circulating water through it properly. May be plugged!

What temp Thermostate are you running? Sticking Thermostate?

What pressure radiator cap?

Is the Water Pump performing properly?

Sounds like this car is fairly new to you and if so, may have to investigate these possible issues.

If you still have contact with previuos owner, maybe he can offer you some history of engine temp.

In my 402 CI, ended up replacing Radiator with a Aluminum one from AlumiTech. Works wonderfully. No over temp issues at all! I did discover original Radiator was partially plugged when I removed it. Had I recored it, maybe would have worked fine.

Best of luck,

Doug

Going to have to figure it our pretty soon as bored big blocks give up tons of power when they run above normal and will eventually will give up the ghost.

First hing to do is pull the thermostat and replace it simply as a service. If it is missing, go with a 160. Second is assuming you have a shroud, is the fan clutch good? Does it run hotter sitting still or higher speeds? Higher speeds mean a trip to Griffin, Alumatech, or Be Cool. Or just find a real radiator shop and if it is good enough, get ir rodded out. That means if the core is useable, they remove the tanks and stick rods through it to clear the blockage.

You would be amazed the amount of people that would overhaul and modify an engine and leave the cooling system alone. A wore out engine makes alot less heat than something fresh.

If everything checks out good.Change to a lower temp thermostat.

My Big Block was running HOT. Everything Checked good. I even replaced the clutch fan. Still ran about 225/240. With a 195degree thermostat. I put in a 160 degree unit now it run 180 to 190 all day. I run the stock 3 core radiator also.

I spoke to the second previous owner who had engine mods done and he said that he never had a problem with it running hot. That it has a new radiator and clutch fan and thermostat. Talked to the owner I bought it from and he also made engine mods see the attached rebuilt sheet. Are the walls to thin now?? Is that what is causing the heat issues?? Previous owner said he didn't drive it much after the rebuild to notice any cooling issues.

a>

I dunno by the previous owner is not much help at all. But we have all had our cooling issues at one time or another.

You just have to ask the right questions and as process of emilination you will get it taken care of. My gut says thermostat as big blocks have a bypass hose between the pump and the intake that will crutch a stuck stat and make you look elswhere.

Everyone wants to share their cooling combos, I will not be the exception. My 70 is a bone stock restored SS454 clone. Seven blade clutch fan, Harrison 4 core, 160 stat. In the dead of summer with latent temps in the 100s and the AC kicking, it might hit 180 after a 20 mile drive. 71 has a fairly hot 496 that has the identical cooling system. 190 in the summer on that one.

The design of the engine is not your cause, unless you blew a head gasket. Look for milk in the oil, oil in the coolant, and exhaust smell in the radiator. Yup, you open the rad and smell it when it is running. Carbom monoxide smells bad.

I'm like Andy. Big Block (mostly stock) 4 speed with Air conditioning. Totally stock cooling system with 3 row copper radiator, 7 blade clutch fan, 160 thermostat and stock fan shroud. NEVER gets above 180, even in summer w/ac on and idling. Ok, A/C needs a charge now, but when it did cool, the car still never overheated. Gotta love the factory engineering!

How accurate is the temperature gauge? If it isn't blowing coolant out the overflow, it may not really be as hot as you think.

Bruce

Not sure on the guage stage I just got it so all it new... I did check the coolant level today it was a little low and there was nothing in the overflow container... I filled it up and started her up ran her with the cap off the radiator and seen the coolant rise and fall once the car was above ~190 so I would say the thermostat is working and so is the water pump along with the radiator not being clogged; however, it is burnin very very rich as the exhaust was burning my eyes just getting the car up to temp... Major carb issues... I think I need to fix that first and see how that effects the temp... Thoughts???

all I'm going to say by what you have told us.... I would pull the radiator regardless and have it checked, I don't remember if you told us how many rows it has??? but at least three for a 454, I have never had any cooling issues with any big block I have owned

I seen some white smoke in the exhaust this weekend so I'm thinking that I have something not so good going on...

Check your coolant level and check to see if your oil is getting milky with coolant.

I swapped in a mostly stock 454 a week ago. I left the factory 3 core in and had to bypass my heater core for now since it started leaking. The 454 has a stock 7 blade clutch fan on it and as of yet I do not have the fan shroud installed since it's still in route.

I installed a gauge in the passenger head and so far the highest I've seen is 220 after putting around. I figure this was high and mostly due to the shroud, although at speed it still seems to run hot. I changed out the coolant, replaced the 195 with a new 195, and made sure I got all the air out.

I don't think it's overheating, but than again I could be wrong. I'll find out this week how it performs after the shroud is installed. I would be worried about 250 if that is a correct reading.

The core looks very thin, like a 2 core. I have a 4 core and it's almost as thick as the tanks. I'm at work now and not able to measure mine. Maybe somebody has the measurements or could check and post them.

The thermostat I pulled out was a 195 degree...

Montemedic: That is what I was thinking when I pulled it out. I haven't worked on a car in year probably over 12 years ago was the last time I even touched a wrench...

I will get a chance to measure it over the weekend for you. I am working 16 plus hours a day this week and can't get to it until then.

I sure that we will get a few more responses... If I need to take a better picture (closer) let me know... Just want to make sure it is the right radiator before I have it flushed and checked for blockage... If it is wrong then I will just get a new al one with e-fans... That should fix my cooling problems...