headlight moulding

My3rdMonte

I believe its only the early 70 models, but Im not sure on that. There are other threads on this here, and Im sure someone else will chime in. Welcome to the site and congrats on owning a Monte!!

Tony

Bob,

Welcome to the First Generation Monte Carlo Club website.

The chrome piece you mention was a 1970 Monte item only and not on the 71 and 72. In the above reply from Tony he states it was an early 70 model feature. Tony is partially correct. It depended on what plant the car was produced in, when they stopped installing these chromed pot metal parts were installed. My car was built in the Baltimore plant and was built in June and they were installed on my car.

I did a study on this awhile back and heard from numerous members and that is what was determined from the people who responded.

Rob

Those things are rare and hard to come by even if you do take them off. Don't toss them. They will bring a nice price to somebody in great shape. Check out an NOS one on ebay sometime eekeek

Does anyone have a picture of what these should look like installed? Did all of the early cars come with them? Mine was built the second week of September 1969 (pretty early car?). It has the full halo top and is pretty well optioned, but has been repainted at some point in its life and doesn't have these trim pieces. Should it? confused

Mike

Jared, thanks for the lead - nice looking car by the way - but it's hard for me to see those trim pieces. Aaron's link helped me, but my biggest question is should I have these or not. Since my car is an early car (I don't know of too many earlier!) is it generally accepted that they should be there? Sorry for hijacking this thread...

Mike

I think that anyone (who really knows what the heck they're talking about) would accept the mouldings.. especially on an early car... but my 70 has them and it is a late build 70 with a non-halo roof. The car has been in the family since the early 80's and was an unmolested original. It had and still does have the mouldings. I believe it to be original.

It appears that there is no way to tell if they should be on the car or not. There are so many variables involved. If it is an early production, it is very likely that they were on there but who knows for sure. I guess the only thing we know for sure is that they were not on all 1970 cars and none of the 71's have them... well, you never know. smile

One of these days, I'll get around to updating my personal Monte site.

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen them on some 70 El Caminos and Chevelle station wagons, but not on many (any?) Malibus. Also, from looking at a pile of 70 Monte parts I got from a friend this week, I think there were 2 different types of headlight doors (fender extensions) as well, those with big holes for the chrome, those with small holes without chrome.

Best,

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

pics of the fender extensions showing differences:

with molding:

IMG_2118.jpg

without molding

IMG_2119.jpg

side by side

IMG_2120.jpg

hope this is of interest.

Tom

Are you sure it isn't the other way around. I would think the white one is the one without the moulding. Mine is held on with two small screws. The holes in the white one are way too large for the screws to screw into. The dark one is the proper size holes for the screws that hold the moulding. The dark one also shows an indentation in the hold where it appears the screws would thread into.

I will be replacing my bumper this winter and will take a closer look at mine at that time. I have had mine off a couple times and would swear my fender extensions that have the moulding have the smaller holes.

Rob

The panels with the large holes clear the part of the molding where the screw head seats. The panels with the small holes have this counter sunk seat in them (no trim). My 71 and 72 and my 70 El Camino all have the small holes and no trim. I remember wanting to put this trim on my 71 years ago, but it didn't fit too well, mebbe because of the smaller holes?

I will try to get pics of the trim in a couple of days.

Best,

Tom