template

abe72

Hi all,

does anyone have a template or measurements for the correct positioning (drill holes) of bumper guards - front and back bumpers.

It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I think I still have one for the rear but not for the front. I just have to try to remember where I put it but I don't have one for the front.

Rob

Not much of a template but here are 2 diagrams anyways even if they dont have measurements....will keep looking too.

Darren.

rearguards.jpg

frontguards.jpg

It looks as if the front guard mounts just to the inside of that big crack in the bumper. LOL

I haven't done this, but aren't the lower holes on the front bumper pre-existing? Seems I remember a series of holes on that edge. In the rear it looks as if you have to drill all four holes yourself.

I remember drilling through the face of a bumper years ago to mount fog lights or something, and it wasn't an easy thing to drill through.

Hey Mark, your right. The front ones have the bottom hole pre existing which really helps as you can remove the rubber gaurd to be able to see through the center and the second hidden bolt hole and mark the bumper as to where it goes through that now open gap when aligned. You can temporarely bolt the guard on via that pre existing mounting hole just to the outside of the ovaled upside down triangle where the front licence plate would have gone. Once the guard is mounted you can kind of line it up straight by standing back and useing the grates in the grill to help you get them aligned on both sides straight and mark through the guard with a pen and remove and drill but for sure Center Punch the mark and drill slowly as if you dont Center Punch the drill will take off and skid across the finish face of the bumper and instint grey hair comes in lol...

The rears are more tricky as there are no pre existing holes but a tape measure and duct tape will come in handy to help square and line things up....

Darren.

Abe, ditto to what Mark and Darren have already shared on installing front guards.

Regarding upper hole location, if you have new guards or just don't want to remove the inserts (they are not so easy to get reseated correctly) you can also use a fine-point Sharpie to mark the intersection of outside edges of the guard (once positioned) with the bumper in the area of the upper mount and find the hole location by direct measurement transfer from the guard to the bumper (horizontally between your marks and vertically from the bottom edge of your bumper). When the front guards are correctly positioned, the distance between the OUTSIDE edges of the front guards at the exact point where they contact the top of your bumper should be 18.5". I have not had experience installing the rear guards (yet).

Good luck with your project. My first new '70 had both front and rear bumper guards and I've loved that look ever since ... trying to get back to it on both of my current '70s.

Here is how I installed Rear Bumper Gaurds to a replacement ReChromed Rear Bumper. (Note: Holes were not predrilled).

The surface area on the inside of Back Up Lights is location for Rear Bumper Gaurds. There is limited surface area for installing them as the contour of the bumper changes for the fuel door/license plate application. Used masking tape to cover area where gaurds would be placed. Used bumper gaurds to pencil around them and locating holes to be drilled. Identified a centerline to measure out each side for parallel/vertical alignment. Repenciled borders for fine tuning alignment/hole centerlines! Once those measurements were identical from my centerline top/bottom/center and verified where my holes needed drilled, I then proceeded with the installation until secured to the bumper. I did this with the bumper off of vehicle and made it much much easier to get the dimensions I desired. Worked very well for me!

Here is a pic of the masking tape marked up and centerline for holes needed drilled.

Copyof100_2175.jpg

May not be optimum for your installation but hopefully will provide some guidance. Just check & recheck your dimensions for accuracy before drilling the mounting holes. Once satisfied, you can't go wrong. I had noticed where the mounting hardware was welded inside the bumper guards are not necessarily flush/flat to bumper and can cause bumper gaurd(s) to angle inward or outward. If needed, a little shimming can correct this possible condition. One of my front bumper gaurds is slightly angled in and have not attempted to correct this as yet. I don't have any info as to correct placement of the front gaurds. But again, here is a pic as the fronts are fastened now.

100_0838-1.jpg

Can't say if either front/back were originally factory installed/dealer installed or were added sometime after intial purchase. However, where they are placed makes sense as they are in far enough to protect the rest of the bumpers from impact if backing straight into or hitting forward.

Oh yeah, here is a pic of the Rear Gaurds after installation!

100_0828-1.jpg

Doug grin

Thank you all for your suggestions on this project. All of the information given is very helpful.

I've always liked the bumper guard look and look forward to installing a set before the summer is done.

Thanks again,

Abe

Abe - here are the instructions included with my NOS set of rear bumper guards (it also shows the front guards - I don't know if or how many Montes actually have the top bracket depicted). A very basic template was also included - I'll mail copies to you - I still have your address.

BumperGuardInstructions.jpg

Abe - here are the instructions included with my NOS set of rear bumper guards (it also shows the front guards - I don't know if or how many Montes actually have the top bracket depicted). A very basic template was also included - I'll mail copies to you - I still have your address.

BumperGuardInstructions.jpg

Very interesting. My 72 front bumper guards use that top bracket as shown. I actually thought it was not stock until now. The front guards are held on with the bottom hole and the bracket on the top. My 70 front guards are held on with the bottom hole and the hole halfway up the bumper. I like they way they are mounted on my 70 better.