GETTING ENGINE WORK DONE!!

71 MONTE 4 YA

Hey all I am going to be getting my engine work done real soon. I am going to be getting the Cam done, stall converter, and shift kit. If I pull the engine and trans and take it to my friend, he's going to charge me $350. If I take the whole car then it would be $550. My question is; How difficult is it to pull our engines out of our Montes? I am willing to go for it and pull the engine. Should I leave the headers on the engine when I pull it? Once again this is a friend of mine fresh out of auto tech school and has started his own speedshop and is a well recognized and stand up guy. I am waiting for him to send me some videos of his Nova. I will post one as soon as I get it. Thanks Everyone.... Rodney

I think if you can pull the engine you can do all the work yourselve. Just do some research on the cam install and the valve body, those are going to be the two hardest jobs. If this is something you don't think you have the tools or experiance to tackle just give him the whole car.

Rodney,

Pulling the engine is not a tough job but it can get messy.

The headers will have to come off, and personally I like to take most of the accessories off before pulling it. I put mine on jack stands and pull the engine and then take the trans out of the bottom. I never remove my hood it comes out the front. some guys pull from the side.

Good luck!

If you don't have the space the 200 extra is not a bad price.

if you pull the engine then you will be putting it back to.right?

the 200 extra will go along way when it comes to the start up and adjusting of the valve train etc.

i would let him do all of it for that benifit alone.

thats if i understand your agreement.

jmo.

bob

I think if you can pull the engine you can do all the work yourselve. Just do some research on the cam install and the valve body, those are going to be the two hardest jobs. If this is something you don't think you have the tools or experiance to tackle just give him the whole car.
Thanks but I only want to do this once and don't want to mess up.
Originally Posted By: Mike 57
Rodney,

Pulling the engine is not a tough job but it can get messy.

The headers will have to come off, and personally I like to take most of the accessories off before pulling it. I put mine on jack stands and pull the engine and then take the trans out of the bottom. I never remove my hood it comes out the front. some guys pull from the side.

Good luck!

If you don't have the space the 200 extra is not a bad price.

Well my hood and fenders are already off so the engine and trans should be able to come out together right?+-
Originally Posted By: bobsmc
if you pull the engine then you will be putting it back to.right?

the 200 extra will go along way when it comes to the start up and adjusting of the valve train etc.

i would let him do all of it for that benifit alone.

thats if i understand your agreement.

jmo.

bob

Hey Bob I think he's gonna start and adjust everything on the engine stand. Yes I will be putting the engine back in. My Monte is in pieces and I wanted to get this part done before painting. I might just have the car taken out to him.

I'm trying to remember, but the labor book gives something close to 12 hrs labor to R&R the engine. That's for the guy that's done it before, has a shop, and all the required tools handy.

If the front clip is off the car, its a piece of cake to pull the engine out of one of these cars. 2 Bolts and you can set off the radiator support if its still on.

If the front clip is off the car, its a piece of cake to pull the engine out of one of these cars. 2 Bolts and you can set off the radiator support if its still on.
Jered the front clip is still on but the hood an fenders are off.
Originally Posted By: footballubet
That's a call you'll need to make. First off do you have all the tools and space to remove the engine, and then be able to take it to him?
I have some tools and picker that's availiable to use. The Monte is sitting outside the shop right now, but it will be inside later next week to be epoxy primered just in case we need to put it outside later on. The Monte is still going to be done slowly I just want to get the drivetrain done before painting. I will be transporting the engine with my Yukon.

Rodney, as I always recommend if you have the tools, the time and the will, do it yourself. Especially if the hood is off, this is a piece of cake as Jared said.

The engine work you describe is relatively straight forward as well. Based on previous posts from you, you are good at paying attention to detail so should have no problem. When you do it yourself you gain a better understanding of the car, the money saved is just gravy and can be spent on more tools smile.

Good luck whatever you decide

For 200 bucks let him deal with the grief,your going to spend that much in coolant,oil and beer,plus days in your driveway.this is a no brainer,let him do it than if there are any problems there his not yours...JMO!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I asked my builder to keep the pictures coming so I could document the progress as he goes. Here is the first picture. Hopefully there will be plenty more to come. He is going to clean the heads up and he said the lifter valley is clean.

imagejpeg_2.jpg

Your having Chuck build your engine. I helped with the rear end and mocked up the engine in that 77 nova i went to Polaris for auto tech with him, he is a real good guy. I dont live too far from him just let me know if you want to stop by and see my monte.

Your having Chuck build your engine. I helped with the rear end and mocked up the engine in that 77 nova i went to Polaris for auto tech with him, he is a real good guy. I dont live too far from him just let me know if you want to stop by and see my monte.

Wow Evan!! This is a small world!! Yes Chuck is building my engine!! That Nova is BADA$$ED!! I used to work at Advance Auto Parts with Chuck, right on Stearns and Lorain. He sold me the HEI distributor and installed it as well as my Weiand intake and Holley Carb. Very good guy and he knows what he's doing. Wow what did you see part of his Nova in the picture of my engine? That Nova is well known and one of a kind. I was trying to get him to send me a video so I could post it here in this thread. I'll be out that way maybe this weekend to pick up the engine and trans. I will keep you posted if I have time to stop by and see you and your Monte

Got the pushrods in the mail today and delivered them to my builder today. Engine will be done later this week and everything will be ready for pickup maybe this weekend. I don't know if I want to put it back in the Monte now or wait till next spring. The Monte is probably going to be outside still for awhile.

Got some nice polished aluminum valve cover breathers with pcv valve. Very nice, got some weight to them. They can be disassembled and cleaned. Got them for half of what others were selling for on Ebay.

2012-10-31233127.jpg