Stock Style Exhaust for SS

gronlit

Im looking get to a new exhaust system for my 70 454SS, and would like a stock style system with resonators...would be looking for hangers as well. Any recommendations on where to get this?

The Parts Place sells a system and the hangers seperately, anyone here bought this system and/or the hangers that could provide some feedback?

Inline tube sells systems for chevelles that include the hangers and everything, but they don't list anything for the Monte. Would the exhaust systems be the same between a 70SS Chevelle and Monte?

Thanks

Tim

I bought my system from The Parts Place. I'm not happy with the tail pipe bends. They hang too low in my opinion. I will be replacing it with a system from Gardner once I get all the cars back in CT.

I found this:

Many people have asked why our website does not allow you to click on your exhaust system and order it directly. Numerous muscle car exhaust systems changed with performance, transmission or even build date. It is not practical for us to to provide all this information on our website. We pride ourselves on personal service, and discuss all exhaust options with our customers thoroughly.

Chevelle SS big block exhaust = Monte Carlo SS exhaust, including resonators.

Might try Tamaraz; they are on Ebay and their number is 630-904-7194. They have their systems bent after originals by an excellent custom exhaust shop here in the Naperville, IL area. This shop does a lot of muscle cars and they know their stuff.

25 years ago I got my tailpipes with the correct style resonators from Hinshaw Chevelle Parts in NC.

Just remember that the stock factory tail pipes were only 2 inch od, im pretty sure as memory serves me corectly it the same on the big block and small block. I even remember the stock ap numbers for the ones without the resanators they were very popular.

Thanks for all the recommendations

Talked to Eric at Gardner, very responsive. Seems like they'd have pretty good customer service. Priced the system from ~850 to 1100 depending on what all i decided to go with. They use zinc plated hangers though, which i don't believe is the 'correct' coating. I think im leaning towards hangers from inline tube which are similar to the ones 'LostnFound' posted from ebay. Eric did confirm the chevelle setup is the same for the monte's they just don't list it on the website since they're looking for pictures of one of their systems on a Monte

Now i just need to decide if i want to spend the money for the Gardner pipes, or take a chance on the Parts place set for about half the price. Checked the Chevelle forums too, seems to be mostly good reviews for the Parts Place Set, but the general consensus was that the gardner system was the best. Found some pictures of the Parts Place system on Ebay

Iceman, do you have any pictures showing how low the PartsPlace tailpipes hang?

Hey Tim (gronlit),

We live just a few miles from each other...I live in Loves Park, near Perryville & Harlem intersection...maybe we can meet up next season. Let me know and I can PM all my info. I would like to know about the exhaust as well as I have a '70 SS that will be needing it soon.

Thanks--Troy

Gronlit & gprimm - I live in Huntley, so 1 hour south of Gronlit and 1 hour north of gprimm. I am familiar with Bolingbrook. I went to Lewis Univ in Romeoville. ssmonte70 let me know that you guys were somewhat local. I purchased ssmonte70's '70 402 back in April. I would be all in to meet up with you guys next year. ssmonte70 and I met up last month to see the progress on ours cars.

Jim, I get up to Huntley often. Was there in October for a Northern Illinois Chevelle Club cruise (1st Gens are members as they are the same as Chevelles, just look better!). It took me 40 minutes to get to Bolingbrook on 90 and 355.

Let's do it. I have a customer (I am a banker) in Huntley. The industrial park just east of the shopping center off 47.

Tim, Unfortunately I don't and the car is in PA so I can't really get there to get some for you.

What I can tell you is that when I tie the car down in the trailer, the tail pipes are low enough to interfere with the straps especially on the left side. The strap actually "polished" part of the pipe from rubbing. On the right side, I have to be careful snaking the strap over the axle then the strap actually pushes the tail pipe enough to create slack in last hanger. When I've looked at Chevelles with the Gardner system, the tail pipes are tucked much closer to the gas tank and don't have this problem.