stainless

wandalee

Been trying to polish some stainless trim, can't seem to get that chrome like appearance .... has anyone had any luck with this...if so what kind of compound did you use.... used the tripoli brown, then a green stainless polishing compound...what should i use next..... thanks

are you talking about the lower body trim pieces?

if so...they are Alum that is anodized, they don't polish very well and is easier to just replace them

most of the usual parts places carry them but think Koniks Klassiks will have the best prices

Konik's Klassiks

Phone: (810) 334-4162 (Michigan)

E-mail: koniksklassiks@sbcglobal.net

Web Page: www.koniksklassiks.com

Leo Konik has many new and used 70-72 Monte Carlo parts including NOS and used sheetmetal, bumpers, grilles, frames, suspension, glass, seats, front and rear door panels, consoles, and trim.

Yes they will look like chrome...BUT

the prep is ideal on those parts. They have to be sanded with all the imperfections taken out stepping up in grit to around 1500 or 2000, then polished from there. Lots of time like Sam said! smile

I sanded my drip rails with 1500 grit, then 2000 then polished, they turned out good.

Check here.

Don't use the brown compound. After wet sanding with 1500 and 2000, use black emery on a sisal wheel, the green on a spiral sewn wheel, and then the green again on a loose wheel. You may be satisfied leaving out the last step. The other 2 work great.

Dan

I can make brake line look like chrome using FLITZ.

Last winter's project was updating and detailing my green 71 small block. Bent all custom lines for under the hood, including fuel, vacuum advance, pvc to carb (dumped the rubber hose). Wish I knew how to post pics, but people ask where the chroming was done and I say one word: FLITZ.

The stainless pieces around the windows and drip rails, etc are flash chromed. It's a quick process they used that makes them bright and makes 'em last. You can do a soak in 50/50 mix of muratic acid (sold in the pool section at the box stores) and water and it removes the flash chrome in minutes. I made a large plastic tube with a cap at one end to do mine, so I didn't need a giant container full of acid. When you are done you can neutralize the acid with a baking soda/water mix. Neutralize your trim parts the same way. Once that flash chrome is gone, the pieces polish up nicely without any sanding (unless you are doing dent repair).

Don't try this on aluminum trim parts. It works for window trim, drip rail trim, and the big trim at the base of the windshield, but that's about it.

• 4 weeks later...
The stainless pieces around the windows and drip rails, etc are flash chromed. It's a quick process they used that makes them bright and makes 'em last. You can do a soak in 50/50 mix of muratic acid (sold in the pool section at the box stores) and water and it removes the flash chrome in minutes. I made a large plastic tube with a cap at one end to do mine, so I didn't need a giant container full of acid. When you are done you can neutralize the acid with a baking soda/water mix. Neutralize your trim parts the same way. Once that flash chrome is gone, the pieces polish up nicely without any sanding (unless you are doing dent repair).

Don't try this on aluminum trim parts. It works for window trim, drip rail trim, and the big trim at the base of the windshield, but that's about it.

Wallaby, do you know how to determine which trim pieces are flash chromed and which are annodized? I thought that the window trim & drip rails were flash chromed aluminum?

Not sure how to do a definitive test. It seems that they used stainless to trim the cabin area: the window surrounds, drip rail moldings, optional wide belt moldings, and the big piece at the base of the windshield are all of stainless. The rally wheel trim rings are also stainless, but tricky to acid bathe because of the attatched steel clips.

Pretty much everything else is either chromed metal, or clear anodized aluminum. The sill plates, lower 13pc moldings, wheel opening trim, and trunk edge trim are all aluminum.

I don't know of a way to remove the anodizing without a corrosive effect on the aluminum.

I've used Easy OFF oven cleaner & other cleaners, removing the annodizing isn't that tough if your careful. You can destroy a piece of trim in minutes, though. But that's the easy part, get the 200, 400, 600 grit paper out, now the fun begins. I'm trying to determine which pieces I can use this procedure on, but now with all the helpful info that's been posted, I have a much better idea!

Well, if you've ever used one of those spray aluminum wheel cleaners, you know the result: nice clean aluminum that looks white. There is a chemical etching that takes place. It's as if the cleaner attacks the aluminum insted of the dirt. Restoring it back to a silver polished surface is probably harder than it was before using the cleaner.

If you have some scrap pieces, you can experiment. It sounds like a lot of work.