Opinions, please

badddoin

So, I've taken three months off work for medical reasons (I'm sick of working).

I'm putting together a new motor for my 72, and I'd really appreciate some input before I order this stuff. It's pretty spendy for my budget, and I'd rather get it right the first time.

I'm gonna use this short block.

My major concern is the cam, and how well it will work mith this converter, which I already have and hope to reuse.

It has 4.10 gears, and will have 28 inch rear tires.

The rest of the pertinents:

Holley 650 double pump mechanical secondaries

Eddy perfomer intake

Scorpion full roller rockers

Patriot alluminum heads w/ 64cc chambers

I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have.

I think i would call a true converter builder and have one built for your combo. I prefer Coan but that is just me. the rest sounds like fun.

ditto

I would go with the RPM Air Gap too, however, on my BB it causes a clearance issue with a stock hood. I am running a Edelbrock 800 with a 2" filter and no spacer. It is only a fraction away from the bottom of the hood, even with a drop base. I also have a Holley but it sits higher then the Edelbrock and won't fit. There are more drop bases out there specifically for Holley carbs (Corvette App) that would probably give me more of a drop but I haven't pursued it since I wan't more of a street friendly ride.

Mike

Another BB air gap..with a Holley, an NOS Sniper plate(about 1" thick) drop base 2" filter and K&N flow through top...no hood insulation and the air cleaner stud trimmed down enough that it does not protrude through the nut when tight.....it's a real tight fit...but it is under a stock hood

Thanks for the responses.

I've filled out the vehicle info sheet on Coan's website. I'll call them the middle of the week, and see what they have to say. I was afraid I'd have to upgrade the converter.

I'll go ahead an order an Eddy performer RPM airgap intake. What the hay; it's only money.

At least I can reuse my oilpan.

• 1 month later...

GRRRRR!!!

Here's an update:

I ordered the shortblock on 7/16 from Summit. They said the estimated ship date was 8/16. Fine, it'll give me some time to clean up the engine compartment. The beginning of last week I called Summit CS to see if it had been shipped, and they said there was a note in here saying it was gonna be shipped on 8/23. OK, I guess, what choice do I have now, anyway. My motor is sitting on the groung next to the car. So today, having not heard anything from them, I called CS again. She called ATK while I waited on the line and when she returned she said they were having troule sourcing core blocks, and they were gonna call her back, and she, in turn, would call me back. I had some things I had to do today, so I missed that call, but called them back when I got home (I hate this stuff!). Anywho, now they're saying it's gonna be another 2-3 weeks.

I've ordered a skad of junk from Summit in the past couple months - maybe even two skads. I've never had any trouble with them. The junk shipped when they said, and the FedEx dude brought it to my house a few days later. Given the way this transaction has gone, thiugh, I don't have any confidence in it arriving in 2-3 weeks, either.

I have got to return to work on 9/23 or I lose my health insurance - and my job. I have a couple of health issues, so I can't really afford to not have insurance right now.

Assuming you haven't tired of all my whining, here is the pickle I find myself in. I cancelled the order for the shortblock. I have all the stuff I was gonna use on that motor:

Cam and Lifters

Rockers

Studs

Heads

Oil Pan

Oil Pump

Timing Chain and Gears

Intake

Torque Converter

Gasket Set

One piece rubber oil pan and valve cover gaskets

Head Bolts

SS Bolt engine set

I guess I'm gonna bolt all this junk on my cast rotating 350 till some later date when I can get some more time off. I really want a forged assembly, just in case I have to spray it.

There's really nothing wrong with my bottom end. I've had it apart before, and there's no lip or anything. Didn't smoke or drink oil or anything.

Other than the fact that this plan sux, does anyone see anything wrong with it?

Why not take your current block to a machine/engine shop by you? Use main studs on a 2 bolt and get the strength of a stock 4 bolt. Numbers matching stroker smile

I almost did something along these lines instead of buying a shortblock. I'm afraid now I'd be up against the time constraints I have.

That 572 is a beast! I'll probably get one of those as soon as my kidneys sell.

That 572 is a beast! I'll probably get one of those as soon as my kidneys sell.

lol you could try listing them here in the for sale section kicking

• 3 weeks later...

It's back to work for me tomorrow. I didn't get everything done that I would have liked to, but it wasn't a complete bust. A couple before pics of my engine compartment.

003.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

I removed the motor and all the suspension parts and wire wheeled the frame rails. That's a nasty job! Painted everything with POR15 then rattle-canned everything black. Installed new bushings and ball joints, upper and lower, and new shocks. I also replaced the steering components: tie rod ends and sleeves, center link, and ildler arm. I cut one coil outta my springs and painted 'em groovy red.

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

New alluminum heads thanks to Crazy Davey.

001-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

New (to me) hood latch thanks to Jared Richie, so I no longer have to open my hood with a piece of wire.

006-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

New headlight harness, thanks to PapaCoop

[img:center]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc488/badddoin/Short%20block%20swap/013-1.jpg[/img]

I still have a little cleanup and paint to do, and some tuning issues, but at least it's back together.

008-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...