Valve Covers. Which One Where??

Super Brian

Hey all. I bought my 71 off of some one who had things all kinds of wrong. Trans pan bolts hand loose and all. Anyway...I bought valve cover gaskets and noticed, when I removed the valve covers, one of the valve covers had a hole in it!!

I immediately realized from the wear on the inside of one of the covers that the rocker arms had worn through and were still wearing through the covers. I think they went back on the wrong way and/or on the wrong side and that's what caused this problem.

I may be wrong, and want to be corrected if I am. But if I'm right, can anyone tell me which side each is supposed to go on and which way?

One has the oil fill and both have oil/air vent lines on the ends.

I'm real new to this so thanks for the help.

Valve covers are all the same if stock. What type of rocker arms do you have? Stock or some roller type? Stock should clear.

The drivers side is where the PVC is connected to the carb, and that hole is just a hole with a rubber gasket that the PVC goes into. On the passenger side is the oil file and the vent breather that goes to the bottom of the stock air cleaner. There are baffles to keep oil being sucked up into each, but those go between the rockers.

Something is different in the valvetrain causing the interference.

I have a pair of extra tall alumn covers for a BBC and everyone keeps telling me they won't fit with the stock factory booster. If not what booster do I need to buy to make them fit? Thanks in advance

In reality I would think that if something is rubbing on the stock rocker covers (if they are?) then it is likely they have aftermarket rocker arms and maybe poli-locks. But if it has roller rocker arms the stock valve covers likely would not even fit unless you put on tall valve covers (as I had to do when I swapped the stock rocker arms for 1.6 Crane Roller Rockers a month ago.

I had to go with TALL valve covers over the stock OEM as were to short and the rocker arms would hit the covers in several spots (depending on where the rocker was in it's travel).

I put my new covers on with the PVC valve on the drivers side REAR and the oil plug (with a new chrome one) on the passenger side rear. Easier to fill oil without the booster getting in the say.

I have seen a few BB cars with TALL rockers on and the same booster size we have on the Monte Carlo's and it fit. Now to remove the rockers you have to pull them out a bit and then slide them forward, but they do fit in there. The oil plug on that side is hassle to fill without a long tube funnel but it can be done it can be done on a SBC easier but still a pita.

But on the SBC if there rubbing (and are stock) something ain't right but it is not which side the rockers are on as I had mine on both ways originally with no clearance issues, again until I changed to roller rockers then I did.

Hope that helps.

Scott

I

If you want to run stock covers with roller rockers i would suggest getting a set of stainless steel roller rockers. They are much less bulky and will fit under stock height valve covers as long as you trim/grind off the drippers. I am running them on my 454 with stock height vintage edelbrock valve covers with dripper grinded off. No need for drippers on rolker rockers. I did not even have to use thicker gasket & no ussues with stock booster.

Alloy roller rockers are much bulkier bc they need to for strength. You may also be able to get away with the thicker vslve cover gasket.

Dan

Orientation of stock valve covers on a small block:

Passenger side only has one hole at the rear of the engine for the breather.

70_Monte_019.JPG

Driver's side has the oil filler at the rear and the hole for the PCV valve is at the front. The 71/72 Montes had a rubber oil filler cap.

70_Monte_0151.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Aaron - I was searching for pictures to modify my '71 as it didn't have stock valve covers nor air cleaner - I wanted to bring it back to stock as I bought stock valve covers from Cory, it's ready to be installed - your pictures surely help but can you tell me 2 things:

1) what kind of "hose" that goes from hole (on passenger side) to air cleaner breather?

2) Where does the PCV valve hose goes to from the valve cover?

3) What else do I need to have as I bought stock air cleaner from Jared?

here's picture of mine what's looks right now - I need to correct them somehow, need you guys help :)

post-974-0-15122700-1435879984_thumb.jpg

In 71 Chevrolet small block engines started to use a "push in" rubber plug, for the oil fill at the rear of the driver side valve cover.

Rick,

1) The hose on the passenger side to the air cleaner is a metal tube.

2) From the factory there is a T and it directs the vacuum from the ft of the carb and the emissions canister on the drivers side ft rad support.

3) Heat tube from passenger side exh manifold is one thing.

Link to some 71 4 BBL pics

https://picasaweb.google.com/110808817090254771768/1971QuadrajetAndAirCleaner?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Bruce

I don't know if it is reproduced or not but someone in the club will chime in where to look. Leo may have a good used one.

My OEM 71 350 4BBL has the PCV hose from the ft of the carb going to the ft of the driver side valve cover where it is "T'eed" into the emissions canister. Many of the emissions canisters (AKA charcoal canisters)  were taken off years ago. The rear of my carb or it may actually be the intake manifold, has a tube that is used for the power brake booster, partially seen in one of the pics.

Bruce

• 4 months later...

Guys - I am preparing to switch out the valve covers and make correction to the hoses as I don't think it's set up correctly, need your help on directing the hoses as the yellow path is what I will do with hoses and need to know the red circles as I am not sure what they are and how I should connect them?

If I am not correct with the yellow lines, please let me know.

Rick

post-974-0-79784800-1448227699_thumb.jpg

Rick,

I believe the yellow lines you drew are all the correct way to go.

The one sticking out the right (passenger side) of the carb (now attached to the vacuum advance can on the dist) is for the snorkel on the air cleaner heat pipe door.

Perhaps review these pictures, but I think you are OK.

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

Sam, Is that ported vacuum?

If you have a vacuum gauge, you can always test the different ports.

that should be manifold vacuum

no matter what others say, GM always used manifold vacuum for vacuum advance, and that's the correct way also

ported vacuum is the one on the drivers side of the carb