trying to get a grip on 72 custom production #

72jrfan88

Hello all. I was recently looking around researching gm production numbers on the custom model and always come to conclusion that they were never kept track of.however I was directed to chevelle website which included monte info. In 72 they state 45, 201 b85 belt moldings were put on montes exclusivly. Since all customs came with belt molding, could that be how many customs were made? 45k out of 180k units? I also see that my cruise control was only put on 11k including chevelles! . Is cruise control that rare on these cars? Kinda neat to hear that.on our fgmcc website only 100 cars or so had cruise in 1970. Here's the link to the other website

http://chevellestuff.net/1972/options_by_model.htm

Eric,

I can't comment on whether that B85 belt moldiong usage would equal the "Custom" Z03 or not. That option was avaiable on any Monte sold. A person could check that box on the order form for "non-Custom" cars too.

However, the cruise control does seem to be a rare option. It could also be ordered on any Monte but it does seem to be on very few cars.

The Bellt moldings became an option as of Late Production 1970 actually.

In 1972 All Customs came with Belt Moldings, but not all Belt Molding cars were customs.

The Red Monte in my signature had factory Cruise Control. Funny thing it was a bare bones 350-2barrel car, but had a power bench seat and Cruise Control, I found the build sheet under the gas tank. At some point along with a "GREATFUL DEAD" decal, it was painted Red, and bucket/tach/console were added then it would fall victim to a 15 year old that built what you see.

A local guy here has the cruise control lever and cut wires from a 71 Monte but won't sell it individually. It's part of a larger package deal.......What is it worth?

Not much if it's just a lever and wires were cut before connector at the bottom of the column. You also need the rest of the wiring, brain under the hood, linkage to carb, speedo cable, vacuum set up and brake light switch for cruise if you want it to work. The lever is the same, except for color, until the hi/low switch was put on the column. As usual, 70 was different. It was chrome instead of color. That one would be worth a few bucks.

So someone help me here,

If there were roughly 1200 customs built with all motor combo's

And there were roughly 1200+ 454BB built

How many "W" code customs were made???

I stripped a 72 Custom one time that had been wrecked hard in the front end, 350-2 barrel. California Special with the port hole in the sail panel. The rear sway bar and arms lives on under my 70.

My 72 custom was built in california and stayed there until 84. My vin indicates 2brl carb but it has a 4. I'm assuming someone switched out the carbs. My engine is matching #s. Ending in "cmd" with my vin# stamped next to it. Read on a website it was "nb2 equipment..not sure what that it. I've also heard that california law required a 4 brl to be on for emission purposes so I've been told it coulve been switched out at the dealer. What makes these a "california special"? and what's a port hole in sale panel?I aplogize for lack of knowledge in this dept .is that small holes where the custom emblems go?. I have all the custom options with f41 suspension but my trailering arms don't seem to be boxed. It would seem not worth it to clone a custom but that seems like the only thing that's off. Both sway bars are present along with sport mirror ,belt molding ,custom emblems, 4 spoke steering wheel with tilt and cruise and lighting equipment.everything also matches up on cowl tag.Makes me want to pullgas tank and find build sheet smile any ideas?

Mine has/had a build sheet under pass side carpet, gas tank, & both front fender underside can view by removing inner fender ext all match except can see or willing to remove frt fender ones to ck vin# on them one more gone then there. Strange place for a built sheet. My car built St Louis.

In my Van Nuys built 72 Monte, I found the build sheet in the upper portion of the rear seat.

The "California special" Rob referred to is not an option, just some dealer installed stuff (port hole windows for example).

the 1200 number came from research we did years ago with NMCOA members , Ralph Wyatt who passed away a couple years ago , myself , Larry and Ben NMCOA founders and owners for 20 plus years , all our research found the Custom package to be an throw together sales attempt to push some 72 Montes , Willie 454 W code customs again just a educated Guess 50 - 100 tops

Leo

Thanks everyone for the info. I didnt realize that there were so little "W" code customs made. I was happy with just 1 of 1200plus. Now to find out 1 of 100, its like when i found my build sheet, Christmass all over again.lol

Thanks you everyone

Esp Aaron and Leo for there neverending knowledge

• 2 weeks later...

I have a W custom with the 454 turbo 400 hydramatic ,etc.I bought from the original owner ,who is also my parents next door neighbor , are there any questions you guys would want me to ask him? Tom ordered my 72 monte (custom) from Buff Whalen chevy in michigan.

Wow that's great to have a w code!!! I guess I'm just curious as to what options officially make it a custom, I heard you could order thr same options on a non custom. Is it the steering wheel with comfort tilt 4 spoke ect and sport mirror.in other words what came on the custom that you couldn't get on any other models?

Yes. I have seen that list of options. I just heard some of those options could be ordered on a base monte as well. Wasnt sure what options out of that list are exclusive to the custom (I would think steering wheel and sway bars) my custom has all the mentioned items. But my trailering arms don't appear to be boxed but has the f41 type suspension everywhere else. I would assume the zk1 insulation package is the material under hood? Special acoustical package I'm unsure if I have. I have a front and rear speaker. The rear speaker is on package tray. Front speaker in dash pad

Larry, I parted out a Canadian built Custom last fall that was in dire need of it. Yes the cowl tag had Z03 clearly stamped on it. I also found the Canadian build sheet ("broadcast"? Sheet) under the front seat wedged in the springs that also had RPO code Z03 listed on it.

There are only 2 things that I can think of that would be considered "Custom only" all other options would be available "a la carte" on any Monte. However I'm not real sure about the "turbine" hubcaps for 72, if those were available to order on any other Monte. Those 2 Custom specific items being -

Custom emblems on sail panels - RPO code CO1

Custom specific steering wheel (non tilt only, no wood grain with Chevrolet script @ right side of center bar/horn button, not a 4 spoke)