supercharger

ClassicJJ

I have a 70 monte carlo with the numbers matching 350, never rebuilt and has about 230,000 miles on it. I'm looking to get some more power out of it without ripping into it or rebuilding it. this might be a stupid question but would a supercharger make it happy without blowing it up? I was also thinking of doing a mild cam if the supercharger is to much. any recommendations?

a supercharger on a motor with that many miles on it...your askin to blow it up. If ya wanna do something to that motor..a cam & intake and exaust system..but i wouldnt do to much to a motor with that many miles on it..thats askin for trouble

If I had a 43 year old engine with 230,000 miles, I would do nothing to it to increase power. The money you would spend on a supercharger would go a long way on a good rebuild.

I would leave it alone, a stock 70 Monte 350 even in new condition is not built to handle a power adder.

An LS series engine out of the Junkyard is totally different story...grin

No, that doesn't sound like a good idea. That engine is probably barely hanging in there as it is. As soon as you break it open to change a camshaft even, you're going to find all kinds of things that need attention. You really need to get a solid base before thinking about adding a blower.

With a good rebuild, you may find that the power you get from a fresh motor is enough to shelve that supercharger idea.

What you're thinking is similar to adding a second story to this house:

run_down_house.ce_.jpg

I totally agree with the responses and the below image and comment nail it... lol

What you're thinking is similar to adding a second story to this house:

run_down_house.ce_.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have a small roots blower weiand 144 on my monte. Holley says you can run it on a stock motor with stock boost (5 psi). Now what you have to consider is what goes with it.

1) The right carb (then time to tune it)

2) cowl hood 2" (unless you go with a centrifical blower a whole nother monster) Then paint

3) decent ign system (then time to tune again) not alot of timing esp in your case

4) fuel lines,throttle cable brackets, air cleaner, boost gauge (if wanted), fittings, all the small stuff

Now like others have said a stock motor with that many miles even a small supercharger will be the cause of death for sure. But if you want to have a good bit a fun for a short time...

I built my engine just for a supercharger, forged internals and good flowing heads. Not originally the supercharger of my choice but got a good deal. Its simple and produces gobs of torque even with stock pulleys.

Once again as others Im not recommending this for your engine but heres some info to chew on.

I've seen many aged motors that couldn't stand up to the added pressures developed from a simple valve job. Once you seal up the valves, the pressure escapes past the next weakest link: the rings.

Exactly what happened to me in high school. Had an otherwise strong 350 that had been rebuilt but had some hard miles from previous owner. I had the 202 Fuelie heads rebuilt new springs, valves, three angle valve job etc and installed them.

Car ran great for the short time I kept the car but the next owner started to get oil blow-by passed the rings causing blue smoke. Needed to rebuild motor.

Everything wears together on these old motors . Once you tighten up things in one spot it then stresses the next weak link. I would assume a supercharger has the potential to open a similar can of worms. As they say, "Do it right the first time"

Dan

Build the motor, trans go bye bye, build the trans, rear end goes bye bye, build the rear, tires go bye bye, get some slicks, tread life still goes bye bye smile

Id love doing a blower setup, I just know Ill have to go through the entire car to do so. I dont think 5 PSI would really be pushing that hard, but it still is more pressure so you should have the motor rebuilt beforehand. Ive blown up to many motors older and newer to know, you want to do it right. It sucks doing things 2 times.

• 4 months later...

The build you posted up is very nice. A member here, AL M, has a 427 sb and that is one bad mouse motor. I can tell ya that a build like that can get pricey.

David

Power to weight ratio is the key. that is a impressive motor to say the least. it can take on a big block very well and come out on top. even a "little 383" would do nicely. the torque of a big block with the rpm of a small block. stroker motor is the only way to go.