71 monte ss

orbit

Hi. My name is Joe and this is my first post here at fgmcc. First let me say I am glad to be a part of this group. As for my post does anyone have any thoughts or advise reguarding the 71 monte ss that I am looking at in reading PA.It has been talked about on this site.I am thinking about an offer but have a few questions and wondering what you guys thought. First the cruise control and no paperwork to prove its an ss.not aware of an ss with cruise from the factory.Also no ss trim or holes in the back that I see.motor has never been started in ten years and he doesn't know if it runs.Owner has never had it running also owner is not sure if trans is numbers matching.Quarter panel replaced and nose is in primer.8500.00 seems way out of the question. Any thoughts from you guys.

Thank You Joe Bobowski

Thanks Sam. It is suppose to be matching number which we all know does not mean what it use to. The no build sheet is not a great selling point for one of these cars either.

" First the cruise control and no paperwork to prove its an ss.not aware of an ss with cruise from the factory"

You are right about that. The air pump for the rear shocks is in the same place the cruise control brain is mounted. I have seen cruise installed in an SS but it was not mounted in the factory position and stood out as not original. Check out the SS page as mentioned above. With no paper work to back it up, the only sure way to tell is if the engine code is for a 454 and the engine numbers match the vin. Other than that, you can look for some of the things that came with the SS package and make an educated guess but that is all it will be since any of the options, other than the 454, could be ordered on a regular Monte if US sold. Canadian Montes have the Z20 code on the car.

Steve

What do you think a car like that is worth. No paprrwork.engine never ran in the ten years he has owned the car.replaced quarter and the nose all in primer. A/C stuff and level ride compresser all off of the car. Don't know if the motor is bad or the cam is wiped out or if its good. This car requires a lot of faith. Looking for a good 71 monte ss project. Anybody know of one.

My thoughts on this sight unseen, no idea about quality of work done so far, and nothing to prove it's an SS. $8,500 is way too high. You can buy a nice running small block for that price. It does have many desirable options. Gauges, AM-FM 8 track, big block, buckets, console, power windows, and rear defog. All that adds to the price. I'd be OK going 5-6,000 on it if I was looking at it for myself. It will be a very nice car with many options when finished even if it turns out not to be an SS.

Also, if it is a Canadian built Monte, the VIN will be all numbers because the Oshawa plant is shown with a 1 in the VIN instead of a letter. If that's the case, then all you need to do is order the Documentation from GM Vintage Vehicle Services dept and it verifies the car 100% as an SS or not.

Cheers,

Larry

Has anyone thought about taking a basically destroyed 454ss and turning into a RAT ROD? Tires, brakes, some old seats. WA-LA RAT ROD. Seems to be the going thing. Would receive a lot of attention. Maybe (Queenie)? Just a thought. Not to be disrespectable. Would receive more attention in that form, For sure. And an inexpensive way to return to the hi-way, And the shows as well.

Guess you spoke to the guy. Not reflected in pics. Trunk pan and floors are available and a common problem. Numbers matching and a complete car is the hard thing to find. My 2 owner 82k orig california car had pinholes in the roof above rear view mirror! These cars are 40 years old.

Not sure what your abilities are. If really bad and frame mounts /wheelhouses are involved that's a different story. Numbers matching is where the value is. I wonder how much is numbers matching. If all major/minor components original to car its of value and rare. If has some documentation well.....

So where is it written in stone that you can't have Air Ride and Cruise together on a monte or a chevelle for that matter just because of the Cruise bracket mounting hole is occupied ? it can be relocated. just asking as Liams Canadian built 71 SS triple black car has Air Ride and Cruise and my 70 chevelle Convertible had Air Ride and Cruise as well and on both those cars the Air Ride and Cruise were both mounted in the same spots………

Darren

I have $30K+ just in engine, tranny, rear and cost of all the parts i have purchased. That does not include body, paint and alllll the labor for installing all said parts. Luckily, I have alot of friends and have done the majority of chassis, brakes, suspension and undercarraige cleaning & grunt work myself.

My car was a clean driver with maaco paint job when I got it. Paid $9k .... But that wAs in 2001. Turns out had a tweaked chassis ( got a new one), sandblaster heated up my otherwise clean fenders and warped them!! Repro fenders not available ..... So had to go NOS $700 each!! . ...... all I am saying is this hobby aint for the faint of heart or pocket. LOL. It is always more than you bargained for, and every job opens up another bag of worms.

"Gonna take $30k to make it right"

...... Understand that that is a very conservative number

Just cost of a quality paint is expensive. I spent likely close to $3000 for paint, primer, activator, solvents, clear coat, trunk splatter paint, eastwood chassis black paint, sandpaper, eastwood wheels and dremel attachments.

Understood. This is not my first frame off. You try to buy the best car you can for the best price you can. To spend in excess of 30k on a reno plus the price of the car on a car that's only worth 30k or so doesn't really make sence. So if you bought it for a better number you would come out better in the long run. I love these cars but don't want to be buried in it I would rather enjoy it.

Reminds me of my car and I paid a LOT more. I wonder if there is a build sheet. It would be very cool to have and restore a documented triple black 71 SS with all it's orginal parts. There are some nice options on that car.

Hard to say when I'll ever really start mine. I inch forward with parts, but until you start working on the body, you haven't really started. Restoring these isn't cheap, that's for sure.

Don't get me wrong I got a great deal on the 70 SS 454 I just bought with having a lot of new parts, but I had to redo everything body wise that had already been done.

If you can do the paint/body work yourself, you can get away with a lot less than that.

I'm figuring 10k on this Standout car I'm doing now including the cost of the car.

But if you are in a car for 8k even doing the work youself when you have to redo everything as most folks do, even doing the paint/body yourself kiss 20-30k good bye. But people fish, hunt, etc they don't complain about all the money they literally throw in the water. lol

Having a large used parts supply helps also, it keeps me from buying stuff like suspension parts to name one thing, I have junked Montes that literally had had the ENTIRE front suspension rebuilt before it was parked!

In my signature picture below you are looking at $1700 in body shop materials, paper, paint, filler, primer, etc etc. That was also discounted, more like $2500 at full retail price.

Ditto.....It is not an investment but is a great hobby. There's worse things you could be doing with your money.

ditto

An older retired guy I sold a good many parts to tried this basically just to have something to do, he told me straight up how he was maybe gonna BARELY break even or take a loss a 70 and 72 CHEVELLE.

I know guys that choose to spend thousands of dollars every year on golfing. To each their own but I'm not much of a sports guy and only golf a couple of times a year through work in charity tourneys. I'd rather put the money in to this hobby as I really get a lot of enjoyment from it and this club. It is all about personal preferences and choices but is definitely not an investment IMO. I'll never sell the car so what it is "worth" is a non issue as well. One of my kids or my grandson will inherit a nice classic with a family history. They know what it means to me and hopefully will treat it accordingly....or I will come back and haunt them. smile