Steering Wheel Option code

Shawn63

Hi Guys

My Canadian built 1971 SS car has option code NK2 for the steering wheel.

It says "Deluxe vinyl steering wheel"

Can anyone tell me what this one looks like?

Aplologies if this is covered somewhere else.

Thanks-Shawn

I believe that it could also be the same as the '72 Custom "NK2" option code wheel if it is a non-tilt column as seen on the bottom of this page - FGMC '72 Custom

The 4 spoke may have been installed if it was a tilt column similar to the '72

Not to sure on the Tilt…. Non Tilt thing for the wheel but they are both Custom Steering wheels. I say not to sure as I have seen Factory Tilt columns and Non Tilt column's with the 4 spoke wheel on it and Both owners I know here are original owners and have not switched columns or steering wheel they say……..

Darren.

Here is my steering wheel on my 72 custom. I have also heard this one called the "NK2", but it was described to me as "sport steering wheel" I also have the comfortilt and cruise options. The steering wheel looks the same as the one posted but it doesn't look like a tilt column. I have also seen the same steering wheel with a "ss" written on the horn button. I am not sure if that was put on from factory or if people just switch the bowtie logo out.

20130702_115016.jpg

Hi Shawn, the SS logo horn button is not "correct" for our cars. That steering wheel as said above was optional in 71 and it is pictured and listed right in the 71 brochure. The horn button should have the bowtie emblem as pictured above. I've seen some horn buttons switched out to the SS ones....including mine.....which I'm about to change back to the bowtie one with an NOS one I purchased. smile

I ordered the optional sport or 4 spoke steering wheel like in the above pictures. Bow tie is correct for our Monte's. The Vega even had this wheel as an option, if I remember correctly, as did the Camaro and Chevelle and they may have received the SS horn pad. I didn't order tilt from the factory, but now have it as well as cruise control. Man I can't wait for nice weather so I can drive it again!

Bruce

Man I can't wait for nice weather so I can drive it again!

Agreed Bruce this cold weather SUCKS. I have been ready for spring since September grin The 72 has not been started since October when I went to a freeze your [censored] car show. The local volunteer firemen put on a car show in Oct and the hi temp for the day was -5 with a wind chill of -20. I got best of show by acclamation. Only had 4 cars show up in my class, 1 in the 90 and newer class and 1 in the safety vehicle class. They have moved the date up this year to June 21st thank goodness.

I installed the sport wheel on my car years ago and I seem to remember that I needed a different horn contact than what was installed for the standard wheel. You can find the right horn contacts on eBay.

I recently bought the same wheel from that seller, a reputable seller. It is in very good shape and was accurately described. Might want to check into 4 spoke "rope" style wheel from 79- 81 Camaro Z28. Wheel looks the same except it is thicker.

John S