1971 SS Monte Rear Panel Paint

MC-71

I have a question about what shade black is on the rear panel below the trunk lid on a SS. Is it satin? Also what shade should it be if the Monte is painted black. Should it stay the black that is on the car or repainted to a different shade.

Mine is painted the same shade of black as the rest of the car. I'm not sure if that was the way it came originally but I think so. I couldn't imagine the rest of the car being gloss black and that strip being satin or semi-gloss as it just wouldn't look right in my opinion.

post-791-0-55725900-1429096466_thumb.jpg

Mine appears to be a satin black but don't know if it has been repainted. I suspect thatt if the whole car was black, they probably just left that panel gloss black like they do with the rocker panels.

I used semi-gloss when I repainted my car.  The original was very faded when I first remember seeing it, but you could tell it still had a small degree of glossiness to it.  

• 1 month later...

The two '71 SS cars I've owned were flat with a low amount of gloss. Very subtle.

Here is a question? We're the black '71s actually over sprayed black or is it just body color?

I think all SS's had the low gloss black between the taillights. A good match for this is SEM Trim black part number 39143. I have used this paint on all of my 72 that required a semi/low gloss black and it works very well.

Black 71 SS's were gloss black, all other colors were a satin black.

Steve

I just dug a set of '71 ss extensions out of the shed that came off a black car. It does indeed look to be body color 19 black. Very cool detail about the '71.

post-92-0-82708100-1433979577_thumb.jpg

Jeff. Can you measure where both the holes are? Left One-from the edge to the first hole and from the edge to the second hole. Do the same on the Right One.

That would be from the edge to the center of the hole.

Thanks,

Carl Hanson

Jeff. Can you measure where both the holes are? Left One-from the edge to the first hole and from the edge to the second hole. Do the same on the Right One.

That would be from the edge to the center of the hole.

Thanks,

Carl Hanson

I took measurement photos and posted them in your measurement thread in this forum section. Let me know if you need more.

I never saw a black 71 SS but always thought / assumed they were a low gloss black no mater what the body color was.

I wonder if you found black 71 SS Monte's built at each plant, if they were all gloss black or some were and some were flat.

I think we determined here some time ago, that not all cars have the lower rocker / door opening areas painted flat black regardless of the body color.

Bruce

I'm sure everyone knows I started this topic. I was pretty positive about the Gloss Black on the rear body for the SS model. Well I'm a Nomad and love to make changes. So I'm going with a Matte Black. It's not going to be paint but Vinyl Stripping Material. My 71 is not a SS and by no means am I cloning my Monte. Just more of what I like. I also have the correct U46 Fiber Optic Monitor System installed. I know thats wrong for a 71, but I like it.

I also would like to thank all of the FGMCC members who have helped me with all my questions about measurements and pictures. Hope all you guys and girls have a great time at the EM. I'm not going to make it again.

Thanks,

Carl Hanson, Connecticut, Black 71 Monte