Correct color for load leveler compressor

Katman

Got a question for you all - getting ready to paint my load level compressor. What's the correct color for the load level compressor? I've seen black (is it semi-gloss), same color as brake booster, and gray.

All the ones I have seen were Semi gloss black like most of the under hood trim on GM cars. SEM Trim Black is a very good choice. Part number is 39143. There are other trim blacks out there I know EastWood has one but I am really familiar with the SEM products.

PS that Just the tank. Pump is natural aluminum. bolts were yellow cad or zinc & yellow cap on regulator. Awesome repop filter from Dan.  Also mounting nuts are the ones with star washers on them.

This should add some confusion. One of our members has a low mileage, unrestored, 70 SS454 that has the original, unrestored compressor and tank. His tank is not painted black. It has an aged finish that, to me, in the photos he sent me, looks similar to the gold cadmium plating used on brake boosters. I've seen others the same way, but only in photos.

Bob, thanks for the filter compliment.

Dan

Hi Dan, Did anyone ever check the date code on the front pump section, I have had a ton of experience with these as most know. I have seen some of them also & they did have situations were they were covered under warranty & replaced & even had one were the date code was over stamped with 3 letter XS (XXX) a factory repaired unit ??? who knows. Also had 1 owner tell me his was original, but that was an early dated unit cad plated bullet end from a Cadillac. All SS had the tank end unit that looks like a cap on the end. The cap on the end was first used on Cadillac's has in late 60S the compressors were mounted Vertical next to the radiator & because of condensation would rust out the bullet end & GM added the cap to prevent that. All warranty & over the gm parts counter unit's were cad plated units. Best to check the date code to see if it's original to the SS.   Send me a PM Dan I need to buy a new filter from you my got messed up on a repair job to exhaust manifold gasket. Hope this helps.

Yes it is. Look at location of air line hook-up.. It's 180 degrees out. Was set up for a Cadillac, Not an SS. Are air line output fitting goes out the front of the pump. You need to take out the 2 bolts holding the regulator in place turn it 180 degrees & re-install the bolts. No Big deal. but see a over the gm counter was cad plated & set up for the Cadillac Not the SS.

I wonder who has the most of these compressors in one place?? :whistle:

I have seen a plated type one also in the past, most of the restored ones are done back Black, with rear part being an aluminum finish.

Great send me a picture. I have an old racing tire from Richard petty driving school you can have, Just pay shipping, Have glass top made. Bob

Thanks for the responses.  I thought of going black but kind of likin' that cadmium look like the brake booster. 

Dan, By the way can I insert pictures in the forum without having a url for them like you did with your thumbnail picture.

Yes. With this new site feature, I've been just using my smart phone to make alot of my posts with the thumbnails. When making your post, click choose file, select the pic you want on your phone, and then click Attach This File.

Very easy.

Dan

Thanks for the responses.  I thought of going black but kind of likin' that cadmium look like the brake booster. 

Dan, By the way can I insert pictures in the forum without having a url for them like you did with your thumbnail picture.

I believe there are still places that can do cadmium plating, although I hear it is pricey.  A simple and low cost alternative is to use the Eastwood kit and technique of spraying a base of gold, followed by misting some irregular highlights of green and red over that as second and third coats.   You can finish it with a clear coat if you want a particular sheen - anything from gloss to flat.

I used an even cheaper approach on my brake booster - on-hand rattle-can paint.  You can see how I painted the booster and the resulting look in a project photo journal at this LINK.

Here are a couple of photos from that project:

post-567-0-72295600-1431690750_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-57632700-1431690859_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-77092400-1431690890_thumb.jpg

hello everyone, i have a 70 ss from van nuys wich has a  non cap on both ends of the bullet. the date code is 334-1.dan how do you break down the codes ? did anyone ever see a  non cap bullet ? dan i would like to purchace a filter from you. thanks joe

joseph, I believe the date code is Julian, which is simply the days of the year numbered 1 through 365.   334-1 would be the 334th day of 1971, which was Nov. 30th. Your compressor would have come from a 1972 model car or, as was recently noted by Bob, it could have been an over-the-counter part.

I have one compressor that has the tank without the cap.  I bought it from another member here through ebay for parts, since the pump is the same as the Monte pump.  It's the one on the right.

409032267.jpg

I'll send a PM about the filter.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...