Where to get vinyl top mouldings?

Howdy,

can anyone tell me where I can get that plastic moulding around the vinyl top? Mine's made out of some sort of more or less soft plastic (dark green) and is mounted to that aluminium rail that runs around the original vinyl top. My Monte Carlo is from Texas and the heat / sun made it shrink quite a bit.

I wasn't able to find a replacement on the internet, but maybe I was just using the wrong search-words with Google.

Hope y'all can help me here!

Greetings from cold [censored] Germany

Robert

Robert & Robert, I believe that only the corner pieces are pot metal, and the other pieces are stainless........I have several pieces of the vinyl trim but not all of them.

Robert & Robert, I believe that only the corner pieces are pot metal, and the other pieces are stainless........I have several pieces of the vinyl trim but not all of them.

Murphy is right. One clarification on his statement. The corner pieces he speaks of are the rear ones. The corners on the sail panels are stainless and on the 1970 "full Halo roofs the front corners are stailess. There was no plastic trim used other than after market stuff.

Rob

Thanks for the heads up on that one. I always wondered why it is green plastic and not chromed or stainless stuff. It's a one owner car, unmolested. Oh well, doesn't mean some idiot didn't mess with it. Too bad I can't upload a picture at the moment, because that trim really matches the vinyl top perfectly.

I need to figure out a way to get me some of the original trim, but I guess it's gonna be interesting to have it shipped to Germany :-)

Robert

• Like 1

I need to figure out a way to get me some of the original trim, but I guess it's gonna be interesting to have it shipped to Germany :-)

Robert

It would not be that hard, more costly than hard.  It could be shipped in a cardboard tube or even Plastic PVC Pipe with end caps.

Rob

I have several nice sets, I could ship it to you also, as long as you cover shipping. My email is jared1970montecarlo@yahoo.com

Thanks again! This club / forum here is awesome. So many helpful people!

Jared, can you tell me the difference between the full halo and the "common" vinyl top?

Robert

Good to know Jared...one of my kids took a piece of trim from my stock pile because it looked like a shiney wand`` and left it outside this winter...well the snowblower ate it..won`t need it for a while...actually quite some time

• 6 months later...

Merry Christmas to y'all!

I finally found the time to get back to the vinyl top trim again and Jared is going to supply me with the required parts.

It looks like the roof of my Monte has been modified to take the current plastic trim. I took a picture where you can see the aluminum rail that's below the plastic trim:

post-979-0-97518100-1451071909_thumb.jpg

This is not original, is it? What would a stock "setup" look like?

Robert

That is the same trim a friend of mine's 71 had on it with a padded vinyl top IMAG0019.jpg  The only thing that made no sense to me was there was no signs of the factory studs for the original trim on the roof, but could  tell it had the corner trim on it at one time as the holes were about the size of a dime.

Hmm, ok. Mine came with a dark green vinyl top from the factory, given that I understand the built sheet correctly. Maybe someone replaced the original vinyl top on it one day, who knows. I can't find traces of the factory studs and there are no holes for the corner pieces as well though.

I'm wondering if it's possible to put the factory trim that Jared has for me on the car without having to drill the [censored] out of the roof. The body of my car is super solid and unmolested, with the factory paint still on it.

I will take a picture of the tag as soon as I get back to the car. Unfortunately, my shop is a few miles away from my house. Anyway, the built sheet definitely came out of my car, it was located between the gas tank and the body. It's a true one owner car that was owned by an old lady. She bought it at Steakley Chevrolet in Dallas in 1971.

Below you can see the build sheet and the price tag that came with the car. Maybe you can tell whether it came with a vinyl top or not.

post-979-0-44634800-1451139899_thumb.jpg

post-979-0-18817600-1451139817_thumb.jpg

The VIN on the buildsheet and the window sticker match. If both of these match the VIN on the car then your car had a vinyl roof from the factory.

Rob

Thank you! I think I can make the stock parts fit well enough. There are no factory studs anymore though. Maybe I can use the existing holes in the roof where the rivets are now and bolt down the factory clips with some stainless screws.

• 2 months later...