help me choose new gears for my 4 speed

farmall

Hey guys,

I recently put a 4 speed in my 72 monte with 350 and 2.73 gears in 12 bolt.  I really like everything about it except for taking off in first gear.  On level ground, the engine lugs a little bit.  When taking off on an incline, you really have to slip the clutch.  I plan on driving this car wherever I want, including hours of continuous running on interstate.  I am wondering what a comfortable RPM range is for that type of driving.  I know that a 4.11 or so would be very fun but I am more interested in a having a good driver.  Thanks in advance.

I think the 3.73 might be a little steep if you're highway/freeway driving. I have 3.42's in my car with a 5 speed. My transmission has a 3.37 first gear so even with the 3.42 rear I have to come out of it pretty quick. You might not have as much launch with a Muncie or whatever else you might have in there. I remember putting a 4 speed in an old Monte I had with 2.73's. I loved it on the highway when you could punch down into 3rd and just blast by everybody. :) But you're right, there was a lot of clutch slipping for a smooth takeaway. 

I'm running the factory 3:31 gear set with a M20 and 402 Motor. Works very well on the highway up to 70mph, after that, I get the typical big block drone.

It depends on how you intend to drive your Monte, but you don't need to go higher (numerically) than a 3.31 to get an acceptable launch with an M20 and a 402.  And, with a 28" tall tire (i.e. 275/60-15) you will only be taching 2800 at 70 mph in 4th gear.  You can obviously get a quicker low end if that is what you want, but you will pay for it on the top end.  Your choice ...

Did it feel comfortable Larry?  Were you concerned that it was too high for a long run?  I'm used to my diesel truck which runs about 2000 at 65.  Im just not familiar with what is too much for my 350.  I wouldn't thing 2600 would be too high.

I am running the exact same as Vaughns.......... 331's in the 12 bolt with my 402 and M20 4speed. Up to 70 miles an hour and she drones looking for another gear. but 70 for me and she cruises just right.

Darren.

I have 3.31 with M 20 and 350. My tach must be off because I run according to the tach, 3100 at 65 MPH with 235 70 15 tires. The posts I have read with same rear end run lower RPM. Could tach be off? I was going to hook up temporary tach to double check. But does 3100 at 65 with 3.31 sound right? Anyway I like the 3.31's.

John S

Thanks Sam I thought something wasn't right with 27.95 in diameter tires. I think I have a 71 tach in the car the redline is 5000 I thought on a 70 350/300 redline was 5500. Am I right on this?

John S

• 3 weeks later...

Just my .02 cents, my old '69 vette,(I know, it's not a monte!) had a M22, then a M20, 3.23 rear, 396 BBC. 0-70 MPH and never got over 1,500 rpm. would burnout in 1st and 2nd, bark in 3rd, and do 140mph (a little faster RPM) just before 4th gear shift point. Rear gear is the key, IMHO. You should have plenty of torque with a rear gear 3.23 or taller. I got 15mpg on her hwy and 12 around town. tires were G 70s or 60s, 15".

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my car back after having the 3.08 installed.  Seems pretty good.  I only drove it a mile home so didn't get to evaluate it much.  Looks like a good excuse for a drive tomorrow.