Heat in the car

abe72

Hello all,

I have a question: I've recently notice that when driving around in the Monty, it's been getten pretty warm / hot in the interior, I'm guessing from engine heat.  Is this normal for our cars? What can be done to reduce this problem?

Thanks,

Abe

My stock 71 350 4BBL NO A/C also has a bit too much heat and I swear it was made worse when I replaced the heater core several years ago. I keep trying to pull the temp lever left into the cool area. I believe I have it adjusted properly so it is closing the door. Perhaps my new heater core is just really pumping out the heat now!

What have you changed? (if anything)

Bruce

I will look into the valve to see if its operating right. If not I may opt for the water shut off valve.

First Gen - both seals are new, replaced about 2 years ago.

Thanks everyone for the ideas and suggestions.

My 70 is warm too. I think that I may have streched a cable or two when I changed the heater core years ago so that even when I have the lever moved all the way over to cold the heater door is still open a little allowing hot air to come in the interior.

The heater control valve was 1970 and 71 AC cars only. 1970 valve was on the inner fender and the 1971 valve was on the intake. 72s did not have them at all from the factory.

I put a valve on the inlet hose to shut off hot water coming into the heater core.

I did this a few years ago, works great... :)

Sam,

So you would place this shut off valve "inline" on the hose leading into the heater core? If possible could you post a picture of the set up.

Thanks.

Arron,

Are you saying that '72 do not have heater control valves?

Sam,

So you would place this shut off valve "inline" on the hose leading into the heater core? If possible could you post a picture of the set up.

Thanks.

Arron,

Are you saying that '72 do not have heater control valves?

That's correct. At the 2010 Western Meet I saw a 71 with the heater control valve and learned it should be on AC cars. My low mile 72 did not have it and I assumed it had been removed over the years. I started researching how it is installed and the vacuum lines needed. That's when I realized that there was no hole in the firewall grommet for the vacuum line needed for the HCV. Through further internet research I discovered they eliminated the HCV in 72.

Aaron,

So, 1972 Monte Carlo's, WITH A/C, no longer used a water shut off valve, like the 1970 and 1971 Monte Carlo's, WITH A/C.

All 1970, 1971 and 1972, Monte Carlo's, with NO A/C, never had water shut off valves, correct?

Bruce

Hello, I have been dealing with the heat also from my 72 big block car , for the past 30 plus years ,I will try the shut off valve to, I t looks like the inlet is the line closest to the fender ,is this correct? thanks 

I put a manual turn off valve on my 72 and it made a big difference. Inside temp is a lot cooler with it cranked down but I did not put it until after I got the A/C working.

Aaron,

So, 1972 Monte Carlo's, WITH A/C, no longer used a water shut off valve, like the 1970 and 1971 Monte Carlo's, WITH A/C.

All 1970, 1971 and 1972, Monte Carlo's, with NO A/C, never had water shut off valves, correct?

Bruce

Correct