Bench or bucket

ChrisM

Hey everyone, looking to get opinions.

I have my 1970 monte Carlo and right now I have almost everything I need for the bucket install, but I can't help but thinking about the bench seating/column shift. (Also my wife keeps making reference to having a bench rather then buckets)

I love the bench seat style, what I like about it is looking nice and factory, kind of making a sleeper sort of look. Bench seating with a big block under the hood.

But, buckets and a console look just as nice, more sporty I guess you could say?

I have nothing for the bench seating, but again almost everything for buckets.

I guess I am just looking for opinions from everyone here, pros/cons!

I am getting close to sending the car in for its final body work and then paint and I want to figure out what I am doing interior wise before or during the body work.

Thanks everyone!

Bench seat you would just need the seat. Since you have almost everything for the buckets roll the dice and go buckets. Plus buckets make it easier to get in the back seat vs bench. Just my throughts and yes I have buckets in both montes.

I like the look of bucket seats and a center console!

You can have buckets with NO center console.

Ordered mine in 71 with bench / cloth seats. Bought used bucket seats about 20 years ago but never started the conversion. Some day.........

Bruce

I've owned both bench and bucket seat '70 Montes, but not at the same time.  I'm glad both of my current '70s have buckets and consoles, but I would not hesitate to buy my first bench seat '70 back if I could find it.  Unless you specifically want a "sleeper" look, the buckets and console with a console shifter are far more sporty and performance oriented, IMO.  That said, I would choose a bench seat 4-speed over a bucket seat automatic any day.

Women like the bench so they can sit next to you while you drive your pride and joy. I sometimes think it's a jealousy factor but that may just be me. I would stick with the buckets. JMO.

I've owned both buckets and bench as well.  The bench for me was very practical at the time because I have 4 kids, wife so all 6 of us could go for a drive.  They are older now and I have gone back to bucket seats.  I have to agree with others, it just looks so much sportier with those seats and a console.  I have an extra bucket interior (most of the parts) in a saddle colour if this is the colour your using and you need anything PM me.

I have had my Monte since I was 18 and it came with a bench. I will say with drive-in movies that were common back then it sure came in handy :D.

Years later I converted it to aftermarket buckets and floor shifter...more practical when my Monte saw its racing days. I sometimes think about switching it back to a bench but probably never will. Hard cornering and bench seats really don't mix and I like to take those highway on and off ramps pretty fast. :)