Help understanding buildsheet

sredmyer

Your car has a lot of nice options. Washer fluid monitor system, tilt wheel, buckets,hood and trunk lights, 256 posi rear end. Power windows and remote mirror.

Your Build Sheet lays out those options that were originally assigned to your car.  It was a Customer Ordered Vehicle and where built is displayed on Build Sheet.  Not sure if Numbers Matching but the serial number taken from VIN or from Build Sheet (1st 5 digits) should match stamping on passenger side front of block ledge to confirm original engine.  I understand also a stamping on engine block near oil filter also would confirm.  Transmission & Rear End need numbers found on them to decode.  All the boxes have codes that describe what component(s) were used during its build.  May take a little work searching how to identify those codes but will provide you an accurate description of what it was built with.

You are pretty fortunate that you have a Build Sheet that identifies it as a SS.

Again pretty spelled out less the boxes where understanding those Codes will tell you what was put into it and not found on the itemized list below the boxes.  Research is the key.......................

Can't help decoding the boxes but have discovered some of them from my build sheet over time.

Doug 

The options are listed near the bottom of the sheet. Which ones do you not understand?

I understand the options listed at the bottom, I was referring to the codes in all the boxes on the top portion...no idea how to read that.

Well, here is the Build Sheet from my 72.  You can determine what some of them refer to while others I would have to guess.  I don't know what differences might show from one Production Facility to the next but you may be able to decipher several of those boxes by the abbreviations given.  Or look for a very legible Build Sheet for your year and Build location where reading those boxes will be easier to make out.  Mine is pretty clear but still I haven/t figured out all of them. Generally, those boxes refer to Belts, Hoses, Steering Column, Brackets, Pulleys, Cables, Instrument Panel, Steering and the individual parts used for your specific car.

I would copy & save Build Sheets so I could refer to them when looking for specific info for my car or for verification.  Sorry, best I can do.

Doug

post-458-0-85484200-1488754825_thumb.jpg

Your Build Sheet lays out those options that were originally assigned to your car.  It was a Customer Ordered Vehicle and where built is displayed on Build Sheet.  Not sure if Numbers Matching but the serial number taken from VIN or from Build Sheet (1st 5 digits) should match stamping on passenger side front of block ledge to confirm original engine.  I understand also a stamping on engine block near oil filter also would confirm.  Transmission & Rear End need numbers found on them to decode.  All the boxes have codes that describe what component(s) were used during its build.  May take a little work searching how to identify those codes but will provide you an accurate description of what it was built with.

You are pretty fortunate that you have a Build Sheet that identifies it as a SS.

Again pretty spelled out less the boxes where understanding those Codes will tell you what was put into it and not found on the itemized list below the boxes.  Research is the key.......................

Can't help decoding the boxes but have discovered some of them from my build sheet over time.

Doug 

The motor is numbers matching (see attached picture). 

Not sure yet what to look for on the transmission or the rear end. 

post-4732-0-37008500-1488757367_thumb.jpg

I think Doug is right, I am just going to have to find some that from my year and are in better shape than mine and just start comparing. 

Anyone got a legible buildsheet for a 1970? 

Anyone got a legible buildsheet for a 1970? 

You bet ... thought you'd never ask ...  :grin:

post-567-0-48974000-1488764608_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-74046800-1488764621_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-54207900-1488764644_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-61139700-1488764657_thumb.jpgpost-567-0-04195100-1488764671_thumb.jpg

As you can easily see, each box has a number and most also have a word or abbreviation indicating what the code refers to.  For example. Box 13 is your front spring code (one of ten) and Box 14 is your rear spring code (one of four).  In most cases the boxes above reflect the components which are needed to support the RPO's specified in the lower section.  For example, the crank pulley code in Box 35 will be different for a car with A/C (AC) than a non-A/C (AA) car.

You bet ... thought you'd never ask ...  :grin:

attachicon.gifP6010034.JPGattachicon.gifP6010035.JPGattachicon.gifP6010036.JPGattachicon.gifP6010037.JPGattachicon.gifP6010038.JPG

As you can easily see, each box has a number and most also have a word or abbreviation indicating what the code refers to.  For example. Box 13 is your front spring code (one of ten) and Box 14 is your rear spring code (one of four).  In most cases the boxes above reflect the components which are needed to support the RPO's specified in the lower section.  For example, the crank pulley code in Box 35 will be different for a car with A/C (AC) than a non-A/C (AA) car.

Dennis,

Both your build sheet and mine have the U79 Stereo Radio on the bottom section.  I did not see any of the boxes above which would further state whether that would be an AM stereo, and AM/FM stereo or an AM/FM 8-Track.  Do you know if one of the boxes specifies the specific radio?  If so do you know the codes for the various different radios that were available?

Dennis,

Both your build sheet and mine have the U79 Stereo Radio on the bottom section.  I did not see any of the boxes above which would further state whether that would be an AM stereo, and AM/FM stereo or an AM/FM 8-Track.  Do you know if one of the boxes specifies the specific radio?  If so do you know the codes for the various different radios that were available?

The Assembly Manual for RPO U79 lists only two possible receivers as U63 or U69 and they are further identified only by part numbers, not descriptions. I don't believe the AM radio was available with anything but a single center speaker so those must be for the AM/FM stereo and the AM/FM stereo with 8 track tape,  U63 is not shown in the list of RPOs on my build sheet and may not be on yours.  Does yours have the 8 track tape player?  If so, is RPO U69 listed on your Build Sheet?

The Assembly Manual for RPO U79 lists only two possible receivers as U63 or U69 and they are further identified only by part numbers, not descriptions. I don't believe the AM radio was available with anything but a single center speaker so those must be for the AM/FM stereo and the AM/FM stereo with 8 track tape,  U63 is not shown in the list of RPOs on my build sheet and may not be on yours.  Does yours have the 8 track tape player?  If so, is RPO U69 listed on your Build Sheet?

My car currently has the AM/FM (no 8-track) but the guy I got it from said he thought it originally had 8-track but it was swapped into another car he had and the one in the car now was out of that other car.  Thing is he couldn't actually remember so I was hoping the build sheet might clear it up with what was supposed to be in the car. 

Hey Steve,  Congrats on the very well equipped "SS" and the build sheet makes it all the better!!!

I grew up about 15 min from that dealer, 1st build sheet I ever seen from there.

I have a 72 that I am restoring and on my build it list the radio as a "UM2  AMFM  RADIO/TAP"   (no room in the column for the "E" on tape) so I would think you have the AM FM only. I am not sure but I think one of the numbered boxes on top shows the radio harness, someone else might know more on that.

I don't believe the AM radio was available with anything but a single center speaker so those must be for the AM/FM stereo and the AM/FM stereo with 8 track tape, 

Just some clarification on this statement.  All Monte's with Air Conditioning option had the dual front speakers and no center front speaker because with Air Conditioning the area where the center speaker would go is taken up with some of the air conditioning items under the dash pad,  The above statement would be true of an AM radio with no air conditioning but an AM radio with AC would have the dual front side speakers.

rob

Oh Yeah,  that is one nicely optioned Monte Carlo.  

I have a 72 that I am restoring and on my build it list the radio as a "UM2  AMFM  RADIO/TAP"   (no room in the column for the "E" on tape) so I would think you have the AM FM only. I am not sure but I think one of the numbered boxes on top shows the radio harness, someone else might know more on that.

Thanks for that Build Sheet info, Willie.  I finally found my extensive list of GM RPOs and it confirms that UM2 is the correct RPO for AM/FM Radio with 8-track Tape.  It also lists U63 as the basic AM Radio (confirming the code on the Build Sheet of my '70 4-speed car that had an AM Radio and single center front speaker) and U69 as the AM/FM Radio (apparently without stereo).  U69 is the RPO on Dan's SS Build Sheet but it also shows U80 Rear Speaker.  

On the Build Sheets for both my '70 SS and Steve's, RPO U79 Stereo Radio is listed alone which makes me think it includes an AM/FM push button radio (without tape) and rear speakers.  That is consistent with what is currently installed in both of those vehicles.  Since Steve's Build Sheet does not list RPO UM2, I think it is doubtful that it was build with an AM/FM + Tape.

Regarding a specific Radio Harness box on the Build Sheet, it appears that it may be Box 64, although it is not labeled as such. On my '70 SS build sheet the last three digits (427) of the harness part number 8901427 for RPO U79 that is shown in the '70 Assembly Manual is printed in that box.  The Assembly manual also shows another radio harness part number 8109425 for the U63 AM Radio.  Both harnesses are rather short, connecting the radio, antenna and front speaker(s) and plugging into the Instrument Panel Harness which is specified in Box 65. 

• 2 weeks later...

Steve,

I'm pretty sure the 01-29 is January 29 but not sure what the first two digits represent.  I thought they might be a week number, but in all of the examples of actual build sheets I have seen, neither a calendar year sequence nor a start of production sequence holds true.  The sequence number above it is almost certainly assembly plant - dependent.

Given the typical 4-5 month offset of the production year to the calendar year, all of the 08 through 12 month numbers refer to the prior year. For example. the production date for my SS built in Van Nuys is 10-16 which translates to October, 16, 1969.  The date of my other '70, built in Baltimore, is 02-20 which translates to February 20, 1970.