New Guy in NH

BobRob

Sounds like a pretty good list Robert, it'll keep you busy for the winter.

What kind of rescue dog? My last 4 have been rescues, wouldn't trade them for anything.

6 hours ago, jft69z said:

Sounds like a pretty good list Robert, it'll keep you busy for the winter.

What kind of rescue dog? My last 4 have been rescues, wouldn't trade them for anything.

We adopted a blue tick coonhound in April and today one of his former kennel mates came to us.... A female German Shepherd. 

Both are wonderful dogs. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2020 at 7:53 PM, BobRob said:

I cut my automotive teeth with Monte's back in the 80's and decided it was time for another. Previously, I owned a 70', 73, 74 and a 2001. My father had a couple of '76's he bought new (one was stolen a month after he bought it). 

So today, this black 71 followed me home. It's a pretty good driver and a decent 20 footer and I plan to undo some odd "modifications", freshen up the interior and address some iffy body work on the drivers quarter panel. Under the hood is an 8 year old 350 with a mild cam and a 650 Holley, headers and MSD ignition. She's got some spirit but I'm pretty sure there's more power lurking in there after a tune. The front end seems loose as it does tend to wander a bit and there's some slop in the wheel so that will be first on the list.. I'm sure I'll find more but it's a great project that can be driven for now.

Thanks for having us on the forum!

Bob

20200706_183042.jpg

20200706_183051.jpg

20200706_183106.jpg

20200706_183114.jpg

very sharp

On 8/23/2020 at 8:15 PM, Dtret said:

Better rethink the attic. Your going to need the height for the lift. Gotta have a lift. O how I miss mine. Nice job on the construction

Thanks... The ceiling height is about 12', no plans to install a lift.... Yet😬

The price isn't cost prohibitive now-a days either. When I moved into my place years ago (1996), the plan was to 'eventually' put in a lift. Well, within a few months of getting everything settled, I did 2 transmission/clutch jobs on my back. It was at that time, 'eventually' became 'immediately'. Best thing I ever did to this place, and one of the most useful.

You'll find ways to be creative with it, like working on snowmobiles, lawn tractors, used it to help get the roll around toolbox off the SnapOn truck, heavy stuff out of my pickup truck, even made some parts to use it as a motorcycle lift. Also used it a lot when doing body/collision work too. Inevitably the job turns out better because you're working at comfortable positions instead of on your back or knees, plus you can just see more details that need addressing.

After I built my garage at the old house(we have since moved) I wanted to put in a lift but it wasn’t in the budget( I did build the garage for a lift at a later point when funding became available). My wife had a 96 civic and it needed a new exhaust. Roll out the floor jacks and stands and go to work right. While I was under the car ( she was handing me stuff) I spent the whole time cussing my a.. off. Keep in mind I was under the car very quietly laughing the whole time. I screamed I’m never doing this sh.. again while lying on the ground. Two weeks later she bought me a lift. Awesome   Too bad it went with the old house now I’m back on the ground

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

The garage is done, well....close enough for the Monte. 20200920_143239.thumb.jpg.5500e9e7028bc8871a38904a32ae0eca.jpg

First order of business was to install a rear sway bar. Had to drill the lower control arms since it wasn's origionally equipped. They aren't boxed and the bushings are worn but I needed a win and this was definitely an improvement. It's no Ferrari but the body roll and sloppiness is mostly gone. I have new upper and lower (boxed) control arms on the way but it was nice to get a taste of what's to come.

20200919_132408.jpg

Next I started looking at the disaster wiring job. A previous owner had installed an aftermarket "system", using a harness that can only be described with a hearty "WHAT?". I was able to successfully extricate this mess, but unfortunately, the original wiring harness has been butchered to the point it will need to be replaced. All of the original connectors are gone and some has been re-routed to parts unknown. 

20200920_143255.jpg

20200920_143211.jpg

I have a new interior with buckets and console to install this winter as well as the Vintage Air system. For the time being, I'm just fiddling around and leaving the car drivable until its winter nap and the major surgery begins.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Last weekend I replaced the rear lower control arms and this weekend, I decided to rip the interior out and get started on the Vintage Air system. 

20201011_152518.thumb.jpg.65e51cda517be89a822bf796525bbb94.jpg

I was able to get the hoses routed and the evaporator case installed, and the firewall insulation replaced. A little tip to anyone contemplating one of these systems, both heater hoses need to be 5/8", so you'll need to replace the 3/4" nipple as well. I wasn't aware of this until it was almost too late.  

20201011_152554.thumb.jpg.9926045fa324b534c66f95cfc177dc36.jpg

The only issues I found under the carpet was this area under the passenger side of the rear seat. I'll be replacing that section sometime in the next month or so.

20201011_152528.thumb.jpg.064c10ad0e44705130335936fbc53230.jpg

The instrument cluster looks pretty rough. My plans were to replace the clock with a tach and insert guages in place of the idiot lights, but now that it's apart, I'm thinking I may go with a Dakota or something similar.20201011_152542.thumb.jpg.0b5fefb92264181495f6a54359a6e0c0.jpg

As usual with these older cars, one project turns into several. Fortunately for this car (and me) there are more wants, than needs which makes it a lot more fun. 

2 hours ago, Leghome said:

I love my Dakota Digital gauges 

Me too, you won't be sorry if you go that route.