71 MC. Just purchased. Have Questions.

This is right behind the alternator on the block/small cliff. The first few letters seem pretty legible but i cant find them anywhere on a search. I will look on driverside, right of the fan tomorrow morning. As for a carb, I do not have one available. Dont exactly like the fact the previous owner like to jerry-rig things.lol. they seem pretty pricy. Thing a rebuild kit and cleaning may fix it? If they were driving it like that wonder what else is rigged in order to make that work!?

2021-01-24-20-26-22.jpg

2021-01-24-20-25-50.jpg

1 hour ago, GraniteGuy88 said:

Thing a rebuild kit and cleaning may fix it? 

No. You're missing important parts like the secondary vacuum actuator and associated linkage. Who knows how they have the secondary's rigged to work.

Also, is it possible that engine stamping it a TRC? If so, it may be a 1973, 1977 or 1980 truck 454 engine from a quick search. 

http://chevellestuff.net/qd/engine/bb5_codes_tbg_yz.htm

http://www.1968ss.com/BBCsuffix.asp

2 hours ago, GraniteGuy88 said:

Hey guys. I tried joining membership but this page was displayed. I got home later than anticipated. It was dark so i did a quick video to check out some of the things mentioned. I found this on the block behind the alternator. Looks like T4121TR6 best i can see it atm. Cant find a internet match though. I also took a few of the Transmission. Kinda hard to see under there. I hope you guys dont mind me posting all the pics. Its just exciting. As for what I want from the car... Well im a Cruiser. Not really worried about speed. I love the Power of what I consider a true American Muscle Car. When that thing fired up... Man.. I had to have it. Im a family man with wife and kids. This is my baby. I want it to be just a Sweet Car to take out now n again. Ive always wanted like a late 60s Impala. I seen this car a year ago and wanted it every day I past it. Man them curves. Anyways thx guys. Will

Screenshot_20210124-193759.png

2021-01-24-19-07-31.jpg

2021-01-24-19-17-36.jpg

2021-01-24-19-26-59.jpg

2021-01-24-19-28-12.jpg

Please see this:

There are a couple ways of paying your dues.  The first is by paypal paying to the club paypal account which is     firstgenmonte@outlook.com   and submit your $25.00 Dues Payment and indicating it is for dues payment.     The second way of paying your club dues is by sending a Check or Money Order.  The check or money order would be made out to FGMCC for $25.00 and mail it to   FGMCC     PO BOX 8032     PITTSBURGH, PA  15216.    Once your dues have been received a club administrator would assign you a badge that looks like this:  Full Members Dues-paying  and this will grant you access to areas of the boards that only dues paying members have access to.  If your expanded access and dues paying member badge does not show up please send a PM or email to Rob Peters at rob29ford@aol.com  

Thanks

rob

Yes, I am seeing the missing parts from the carb. A rebuild would be moot. Best bet is another carb. 

I don't know for sure but what I see of the engine, I believe it is a 454 from a truck. Probably mid 80s to 89 ish. There appears to be only one paint job on it and it's black. The truck engines of this era were black. Just a guess. 

Thanks Rob.  I can post more random engine pics if it may help. It was just weird that I cant find that sequence on any block sites. It all seems fairly clean too. The previous owner (half crazy lil ol lady) had mentioned when we first began to talk that they paid 5k in the engine.... Then proceeded to take considerably less for the whole car. 

Just because it MAY be originally from a truck doesn't make it less desirable. It's a big block. The 496 in my 70 SS started life as 1988 2500 4x4 suburban engine. 

Yeah i tried cleaning the pic up a little. Just a booger not really knowing what it is. Ive been snapping scrn shots from a short video. Also ran across this which at first look maybe looks like numbers i didnt catch on the front of the block but it may be nothing. Either way Im still siked. 

2021-01-24-23-14-10.jpg

2021-01-24-23-07-58.jpg

If possible, can you get a pic of the back of the block, on the driver's side where the trans bolts up. The casting numbers should be there and tell you for sure the cubic inch the engine started life as. 

If the former owner had it rebuilt before installing it into your car, they could have easily spent 5k on it. 

You should be siked, you have good bones to start with. 

Yay! Update. Ive located the engine block number on backside/driverside near bellhousing. There were also some other numbers near the same area. Also on the passenger side behind the block i found what im guessin might be a mnfg date? Found out I have some loose and missing bellhousing bolts.

2021-01-25-07-08-39.jpg

2021-01-25-07-09-47.jpg

2021-01-25-07-13-01.jpg

Ok, what you have there by the casting numbers is a 1972 402. K 10 72 is the date code and 3999289 in this case is a 402. In later years the 3999289 block was also used for the 454. 

Glad and sorry you found more work with the loose and missing trans bolts. But better you found them now instead of the trans falling out. 

Jft69z brought it to my attention and also the chart you posted, that I may be incorrect. In 72 the 3999289 block was also  being used for 454s. The chart I used as reference said that didn't start till 73. I now believe that to be incorrect. 

Check the balancer. 454s had a big balancer on them as opposed to the 402s smaller balancer. Diameter wise. 

41 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

In 72 the 3999289 block was also  being used for 454s.

That, coupled with the what Tom & I believe to be a TRC stamping still leads me to believe it's a '73 (or later) truck 454. The casting date would still be in the range for that possibility. Also, like Tom says, check the balancer, it should be for an externally balanced 454. Same with the trans flex plate if you pop the torque converter inspection cover off and investigate for balance weights on the flexplate.

casting numbers.JPG

I will get measurements when i get home. The more i look at it i think the original owner might have had engine work done and was in the process of getting it all back together. So in you guys opinions, would you say its a a good setup. Far as trans/motor/car setup?

2 minutes ago, GraniteGuy88 said:

So in you guys opinions, would you say its a a good setup. Far as trans/motor/car setup?

Sure, as long as you get the carb replaced and do a thorough inspection to see nothing else was rigged up like the carb. See how it runs, do a full tune up, etc. If it runs good, go with it, you'll have a lot of fun.

• Like 1

It is a 454! 72! I did more checking , this time with my eyes opened fully. 

Everyone that has stated it's a 454 is correct. 

Sorry for the confusion I caused. 😞

A 454, th400 is a good combo. The 10 bolt may not live too long if you beat it daily but otherwise should be ok for now. 

Since we now know it's a 454, I recommend a 750-800cfm carb. The factory 4bbl Rochester was in that range. 

• Like 1