how do you run your plug wires

I’m about to install my third set of plug wires in less than a year.  The first set were accel super stock 8mm, one got header hurt and I needed to up grade when I went to a new ignition system, Holley suggested 8.5mm super conductors. I ordered the type that you can bend the boot at the plug thinking it would help header clearance, broke one with a bigger bend than it liked, had to put a 90* boot on two others and cut 5&7 a little too short, so now I’m going to buy a second set hoping to get it right.

Oh I long for the days when you had one choice, they were always too long and screwed your radio but that was it.🦕(that’s me a dinosaur I guess) this perfection thing is getting to be a pain in my, let’s just say wallet LOL

Any suggestion on where to run the wires? Behind the valve covers, over the valve covers, under the headers...

Thanks for your input

john

DSCF1086.thumb.JPG.b9a74d5d3619141e230919d34c86649b.JPGi have used the billet wire loom things that attach to your lower valve cover bolts before. They do a great job of keeping the plug wires from touching the headers and a neat looking engine bay.... however.... they make working on the car a little more difficult so when one of the brackets for those things broke i changed to over the valve cover using the wire separators that attach to brackets that rise up over the valve covers. Much easier to get in to hard to reach places without those other types in the way. I probably did a poor job describing what i use so what i recommend you do is attend your nearest cruise in and get some ideas by looking under other people's hoods to see what they do. Pick one you like and go with it. 

As usual, I couldn't find anything on the market that I had in mind so I made my own from stainless angle. It ran the wires along the bottom edge of the valve cover.

My last engine photo here shows the boots I went with, they're from a Jeep and hold the wire pretty far away from the spark plug-and header primary. This worked well except for plug #8, of course.

I'm using Granatelli Motor Sports solid core zero Ohm wires. They have a ferrite ring on them that eliminates RFI. I use these wires on all my vehicles.

Looms 2.jpg

HARTMAN VALVE COVERS.jpg

engine 2.jpg

boot.JPG

• Like 1

My crate came with the separators on the valve covers, I think it looks good (and yes I know I have to clean up the dizzy area lol). You can get heat boots (sample link below) in various colors, but from what I've read they won't fit on pre-made wires but it sounds like your making your own. I'd say run them how you want (over/under). You can always test with the "roadkill zip tie moment" wire loom separator for aesthetic purposes. 

https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=spark plug boot

wireloom.jpg

When I bought the 632 engine from Blueprint, I'm guessing they thought there  would be room for under header wires on a G body. There isn't. There'sa guy on Ebay malong big block header wires with the Windsor Ford 85 degree end. I have them on my Monte, Chevelle, and the Malibu. If they aint all over the valve covers, they aint right.

119829347_10221280111266356_2365353131850778972_n.jpg

141404733_10222096033663906_2953887673350421305_n.jpg

• Like 1

Andy, that should be a great motor. I tried to send you a PM about shock protectors, but I got a message that you can't receive those messages. 

Dan

573-248-1389

On 4/26/2021 at 6:09 PM, overdrive said:

Andy, that should be a great motor. I tried to send you a PM about shock protectors, but I got a message that you can't receive those messages. 

Dan

573-248-1389

I just looked at my inbox. Last message was from 2018 from anyone. I'm in a funk right now, but I'll call soon. Lost a good friend in a bike crash last month and lost my pup last Friday.

168687464_10222600155946648_7291198621803651432_n.jpg